What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Goodfellas.  Seen many times but not for quite a few years.  Great film, absolutely love it 10/10.

And even at 2½ hours it doesn't feel long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Shazam. First decent DC movie for a while
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    Testament of Youth.  This wasn't a movie but the BBC dramatisation from 1979.  I thought it was still a legitimate topic for the thread because it was mentioned as a contrast to the more recent film in a discussion upthread.  Having seen it in the 90s  that discussion prompted me to do a bit of poking around and I found it was available (in 5 episodes) on Youtube and watched it again with my other half.

First the disclaimers.  It's a late 70s TV production, and you can see it wasn't made on the most lavish budget.  Acting styles and production quality reflect that and some people might find it too creaky to enjoy.  If you can get past that I thought it was absolutely superb and easily stood the test of time.  TV drama is reckoned to be in a golden age but in its own way I thought this was as intelligent and thought-provoking as anything made more recently.  If it sounds even remotely like your sort of thing I would recommend you have a look at it. 10/10.

Brief Encounter.  Similar territory, another stiff-upper-lip British period piece.  This is probably my favourite David Lean movie: I've never particularly liked the lush epics (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago), I find his Dickens too gothic, and I think this one just about edges out The Bridge on the River Kwai. 

I have less sympathy with the protagonists than I did when younger.  Given their ages (40-ish?) and intelligence they should know better.  Families and kids are at risk. Yes, anybody can become infatuated at any age but part of being grown-up is knowing how to nip that kind of thing in the bud before danger kicks in.  Unless you're actually looking for the opportunity to have your cake and eat it - but that would be a completely different movie.

Still when all's said and done it's beautifully written, constructed, and acted.  Yes, they should have nipped things in the bud but start from the assumption that they didn't and it plays out with a convincing inevitabily, only pure chance averting catastrophe.  And although the Rachmaninov is the most cliched piece of romantic music ever it's still perfect.  It's a reminder of a set of values we think we've replaced with more understanding and more tolerance  - and that we've lost as well as gained.  The age of instant gratification and me-first isn't always better.  9/10

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Goodfellas.  Seen many times but not for quite a few years.  Great film, absolutely love it 10/10.

And even at 2½ hours it doesn't feel long.
    Yeah, and always disappointing when it ends and Ray Liotta is no longer narrating, makes me feel like an average nobody who gets to live the rest of my life like a schnook.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Testament of Youth.  This wasn't a movie but the BBC dramatisation from 1979.  I thought it was still a legitimate topic for the thread because it was mentioned as a contrast to the more recent film in a discussion upthread.  Having seen it in the 90s  that discussion prompted me to do a bit of poking around and I found it was available (in 5 episodes) on Youtube and watched it again with my other half.

First the disclaimers.  It's a late 70s TV production, and you can see it wasn't made on the most lavish budget.  Acting styles and production quality reflect that and some people might find it too creaky to enjoy.  If you can get past that I thought it was absolutely superb and easily stood the test of time.  TV drama is reckoned to be in a golden age but in its own way I thought this was as intelligent and thought-provoking as anything made more recently.  If it sounds even remotely like your sort of thing I would recommend you have a look at it. 10/10.

Brief Encounter.  Similar territory, another stiff-upper-lip British period piece.  This is probably my favourite David Lean movie: I've never particularly liked the lush epics (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago), I find his Dickens too gothic, and I think this one just about edges out The Bridge on the River Kwai. 

I have less sympathy with the protagonists than I did when younger.  Given their ages (40-ish?) and intelligence they should know better.  Families and kids are at risk. Yes, anybody can become infatuated at any age but part of being grown-up is knowing how to nip that kind of thing in the bud before danger kicks in.  Unless you're actually looking for the opportunity to have your cake and eat it - but that would be a completely different movie.

Still when all's said and done it's beautifully written, constructed, and acted.  Yes, they should have nipped things in the bud but start from the assumption that they didn't and it plays out with a convincing inevitabily, only pure chance averting catastrophe.  And although the Rachmaninov is the most cliched piece of romantic music ever it's still perfect.  It's a reminder of a set of values we think we've replaced with more understanding and more tolerance  - and that we've lost as well as gained.  The age of instant gratification and me-first isn't always better.  9/10

Great reviews, thank you.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593

Great reviews, thank you.
    Thank you BigBearKris, very kind.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Boys From Brazil (1978)

X certificate when it was released, not sure it would get the equivalent now. Although outside of a few boobs and some blood there are some decidedly creepy bits and references to Nazi atrocities. The film seems quite long so, presumably, not one of the edited earlier TV friendly versions that I watched. 
    The film ( and the book I presume) set in 1975, I just about remember 1975 but that’s only 30 years after WWII and the film relies on the idea that some old Nazis would now be just claiming their pensions. 
    I struggle a bit with the two central performances - Olivier and Peck. Both are a bit OTT at times, James Mason in a supporting role seems more credible. Although it isn’t a low budget film it creaks a bit. May not be perfect but still properly a classic. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    The Shallows - girl gets eaten by a shark in Mexico but manages to escape before she is fully digested. The girl is quite fit but somewhat annoying.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    tony99 said:
    The Shallows - girl gets eaten by a shark in Mexico but manages to escape before she is fully digested. The girl is quite fit but somewhat annoying.
    Watched that too, not sure why in hindsight. Utter crap
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Finding Neverland

Johnny Depp as J.M. Barrie in the background story of Peter Pan.

Quite well-made, but not particularly engaging - the characters are all a bit two-dimensional, and Depp seems out of his depth when he’s trying to play someone other than himself - and his Scottish accent is laughable, which doesn’t help...

Kate Winslet isn’t great either. Julie Christie and Dustin Hoffman are better but only in minor roles.

6/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    ICBM said:
    Finding Neverland

Johnny Depp as J.M. Barrie in the background story of Peter Pan.

Quite well-made, but not particularly engaging - the characters are all a bit two-dimensional, and Depp seems out of his depth when he’s trying to play someone other than himself - and his Scottish accent is laughable, which doesn’t help...

Kate Winslet isn’t great either. Julie Christie and Dustin Hoffman are better but only in minor roles.

6/10
    If you want a much better version of the background to Peter Pan, I strongly recommend the BBC adaptation of Andrew Birkin's book The Lost Boys. Came out in 1978, and probably available on DVD. Great cast, and Ian Holm was excellent as Barrie.  I'm sorry that you had to encounter the Johnny Depp movie :'(
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    tony99 said:
    Yup, watched it as well. Terrible film with a completely rubbish ending. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 242
    Escape room 2019

This is kind of a saw type of film I thought it it was decent kept me entertained I guess.  6.5/10
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Us  Saw it last week with the family - it's a family kind of film in fact, if your kids are old enough =) . On the whole we all liked it: it had creepy moments that didn't rely on jump scares and there were moments that made you think. For some aspects of the story you need to just go with the flow and not question too much, but if you can do that, you'll have a good time. 7.5/10
  • boogieman said:
    tony99 said:
    I've watched it twice now and I think that, if you acknowledge that it is a B-movie, you won't be overly disappointed. 
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361

boogieman said:
    tony99 said:
    I've watched it twice now and I think that, if you acknowledge that it is a B-movie, you won't be overly disappointed. 
    B movies usually have a sense of humour, I think this one takes itself too seriously and it just sucks. The beginning is ok, although why you’d go to a remote beach and then not accept the offer of a lift back to civilisation seems a bit dumb. The rest though, jeez what a crock of shit. Makes Sharknado look like it was made by a leading shark expert.  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    New World
    Korean thriller with gangsters and undercover cops, in the vein of Infernal Affairs.  At least half an hour too long - although the measured pace seems intentional, not just a lack of editing - but still well worth a watch.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Took my youngest to the flicks a couple of times this Easter -
    Missing Link - 6.5/10. Relatively enjoyable animated family fun. Quite funny in places, entertaining enough for parents. Nice animation.

Captain Marvel - 7/10. Likeable lead character, well-paced. Classic Marvel pitfall of being too long. 

This was (obviously) on the box yesterday and when it’s on, I watch it - 
    Where Eagles Dare - 10/10. Will punch anyone off the top of a cable car if they disagree.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Philly_Q said:
    New World
    Korean thriller with gangsters and undercover cops, in the vein of Infernal Affairs.  At least half an hour too long - although the measured pace seems intentional, not just a lack of editing - but still well worth a watch.
    The Tiger
    By pure coincidence, I also had this to watch - from the director of New World and again starring Choi Min-Sik (who's been eating well since his Oldboy days).  Again it's way too long and rather pretentious, but very well done and featuring some amazing massacres by a giant tiger (not sure I've ever written that phrase before).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    A bit late to the party but Bohemian Rhapsody.

Difficult. Some funny and some touching moments. As someone with a passing interest in Queen I found the innacuracies and the moments of convenience to be deeply annoying. Presumably full on fans are driven insane by it. I know it's a film and I shouldn't care but I guess it doesn't quite know what it wants to be and isn't quite anything in the end. Sum of its moments, including some very good moments indeed, but I won't be rushing to replay.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom