What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Tales from the Crypt, the 70s Amicus horror film. Clunky script and terrible special effects. Loved it!  :) I presume they paid Ralph Richardson an awful lot of money to get involved with this load of tosh, Joan Collins was probably a lot cheaper though as this was before her comeback era. 

I should say I grew up with Hammer and Amicus films. They always bring back great memories of coming in from the pub on Friday nights, putting the tv on and watching horror films, usually involving Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee or Vincent Price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22731
    goldtop said:
    Watched Japon. Mexican, bleak, quirky, odd cinematography. Still not quite sure what to make of it, except for one thing: the acting was superb. Awkwardest sex scene in any movie I've seen, too. 7/10 I think.
    I like Carlos Reygadas films.  You have to put your head in a really different place to watch them but they're fascinating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    First part of Shaft on Netflix. First film I've even started to watch in weeks. It is terrible. Possibly not unwatchable - there is some kind of plot, people acting, stuff being filmed - but terrible. I think the Laurence Fishburne joke shoved in there with a rusty crow bar finally killed it for me and I had to go watch some paint drying instead. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

• Fast & Furious : Hobbes & Shaw 

The Rock and Jason Statham punch things for 2 hours and take about balls, a lot!

Absolutely ridiculous from start to finish but I was under no pretence that it was going to be anything else so was an OK way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    Took my son to see the Angry Birds Movie part 2, funny and a decent storyline and entertaining family film.  If you liked the first you will like this one.
  • What We Do In The Shadows. Vampire mockumentary, really enjoyed it. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6144
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:
    Watched Japon. Mexican, bleak, quirky, odd cinematography. Still not quite sure what to make of it, except for one thing: the acting was superb. Awkwardest sex scene in any movie I've seen, too. 7/10 I think.
    I like Carlos Reygadas films.  You have to put your head in a really different place to watch them but they're fascinating.
    Any recommendations? I think Japon was his debut.

In other news we watched Pain and Glory, Almodovar's latest movie. Not his typical output (no fighty transvestites, nor overly camp flight attendants), and very gentle and slow. Seems autobiographical (I deliberately didn't read any reviews yet), and if so, he's a lot more understated in the story telling than his sillier films. Antonio Banderas is superb. 8/10.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    What We Do In The Shadows. Vampire mockumentary, really enjoyed it. 
    Yes it's very good. There's a more recent TV serialisation with different comedians in the roles but it doesn't quite hit the spot.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Can anyone recommend a damn good sci-fi on Netflix?

I have watched loads recently. Currently going through ST Next Generation and Discovery, but I fancy a few decent films.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24197

I have watched loads recently. Currently going through ST Next Generation and Discovery, but I fancy a few decent films.

Have you seen "Ascension" - it's a short series. Pretty good.

• Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

We watched it as a family, yesterday.  Probably the best Spidey film yet - definitely my favourite.

Apparently, Tom Holland has suggested a similar idea for his next outing in the costume.  He wants Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield to reprise their roles, playing Spidermen from different universes.

I'd watch it...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

We watched it as a family, yesterday.  Probably the best Spidey film yet - definitely my favourite.

Apparently, Tom Holland has suggested a similar idea for his next outing in the costume.  He wants Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield to reprise their roles, playing Spidermen from different universes.

I'd watch it...
    They should also get Nicholas Hammond from the 1970s TV series.  That would be weird.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24197
    Philly_Q said:
    Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

I'd watch it...
    They should also get Nicholas Hammond from the 1970s TV series.  That would be weird.
    I hope that Hammond would still only be able to do his "obviously attached to the ceiling by a belt" type movements!

That would be hilarious!
    goldtop said:
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

Battle in Heaven and Silent Light, certainly.  I haven't seen Post Tenebras Lux or his most recent film.

You certainly have to be patient and in the right mindset to watch them!  He tends to just park his camera on a scene where very little happens, so you end up studying every minute detail and really thinking about it (or possibly getting bored and switching off!). 

Polar opposite of a Hollywood blockbuster.

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Clouds of Sils Maria

On a recommendation from the Wittertainment substitutes. Juliette Binoche is equally alluring and baffling - a fairly typical French / American Eton mess of a movie. Kristen Stewart and Chloë Grace Moretz add to the window dressing but are no less baffling. Makes me understand why I find some French movies too symbolic.

The Maloja Snake sequences are breathtaking though - I can only imagine what they look like if you see it for reals. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605

Have you seen "Ascension" - it's a short series. Pretty good.

A friend recommended The Expanse said it is a very well thought out Sci Fi
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6144
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

Battle in Heaven and Silent Light, certainly.  I haven't seen Post Tenebras Lux or his most recent film.

You certainly have to be patient and in the right mindset to watch them!  He tends to just park his camera on a scene where very little happens, so you end up studying every minute detail and really thinking about it (or possibly getting bored and switching off!). 

Polar opposite of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Thanks. Will give these ideas to Mrs Goldtop who's always finding bargains at FOPP. And I'll avoid the IMDB opinions and reviews until after watching (Reygadas seems to polarize opinion 1-2 out of 10, or 8-9 out of 10!)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    tony99 said:
    What We Do In The Shadows. Vampire mockumentary, really enjoyed it. 
    Yes it's very good. There's a more recent TV serialisation with different comedians in the roles but it doesn't quite hit the spot.

My ex bought me the DVD as it's one of my all time favourites. Caught a little bit of the series accidentally one night but it didn't really grip me. Maybe give it another go sometime. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7108
    Just come back from Blinded by the Light.

Cheese upon cliched cheese but the music was great and I fancied the teacher in it. Found myself wiping dust out of my eye a few times but mainly because I was reminiscing.

6.5 out of 10
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Wild Rose

Glaswegian ex jailbird Rose is obsessed by country music and possess a good voice. She harbours a dream of going to Nashville and making it but in reality she has 2 young kids, no money and is out on tag

Not brilliant but a good watch and it avoids the normal sugary rounding up happy ending 
    www.2020studios.co.uk