What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    The Accountant.

Ben Affleck as an accountant / money launderer with autism who has a side line in killing people.

It was tosh but enjoyable tosh.

6.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Haych said:
    Then there was The Heat with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock as a slobbish Boston cop and stuck up FBI agent respectively.  What it lacked in plot it made up for in shouting and foul language.

One or two amusing moments but otherwise a painfully tedious, predictable and overly sweary movie that tries to be funny but fails on every count.

2/10 (Disney +)
    Painfully bad isn’t it? My wife’s a Sandra Bullock fan and I like some of Melissa McCarthy’s films (thought she was really funny in Bridesmaids) but this one’s a real turd. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    merlin said:
    Titane.

Below all criticism. -1/10
    That bad? It was an option when I had a couple of hours in town last week, but when I asked the Picturehouse people if they'd recommend it, they looked at each other and became a bit hesitant.
  • Lazy day today as back work tomorrow after nearly 2 months off so have watched 3 films..

The Quiet Place 2, yowsers wasn’t expecting much but this was equally if not better than the first.

Rent….. yes again, great film version. 

Rent Live on Broadway, this is as close to being there as you will get, absolutely awesome last Broadway showing in 2008. Not to be confused with the 2019 Rent:Live Fox Broadcast that’s a shocking cock up.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:
    Then there was The Heat with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock as a slobbish Boston cop and stuck up FBI agent respectively.  What it lacked in plot it made up for in shouting and foul language.

One or two amusing moments but otherwise a painfully tedious, predictable and overly sweary movie that tries to be funny but fails on every count.

2/10 (Disney +)
    Painfully bad isn’t it? My wife’s a Sandra Bullock fan and I like some of Melissa McCarthy’s films (thought she was really funny in Bridesmaids) but this one’s a real turd. 

Sandra Bullock is a legend, but this was just awful. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    goldtop said:
    merlin said:
    Titane.

Below all criticism. -1/10
    That bad? It was an option when I had a couple of hours in town last week, but when I asked the Picturehouse people if they'd recommend it, they looked at each other and became a bit hesitant.
    I thought it was very good - and pretty intense - although it didn't impress me as much as Julia Ducournau's previous film Raw, which I think is utterly brilliant.  It's certainly not for everyone.
  • The Gentlemen.  Unlike other posters I really quite enjoyed this. I didn't think I would - I'm not a Guy Ritchie fan and the slightest whiff of cockney geezer usually has me reaching for the off switch. But my better half had a couple of recommendations and fancied giving it a go so I went along with that and found it a decent and inventive chunk of light entertainment. 7/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    Desperately Seeking Susan

I did watch this back in the eighties and thought it was 'ok' at the time and caught up with it again on iplayer. I didn't remember the film too much (was probably snogging in a back row somewhere) so it kinda felt good to go back to the eighties for a few hours. Madonna and especially Rosanna Arquette are both entertaining and play decent roles.

Enjoyable enough for a solid 6/10
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11618
    In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019)  I wanted to like this, I really did.  Another time-hopping narrative which starts promisingly with a series of mysterious, seemingly random, deaths and an elusive suspect. But for me, it all starts unravelling as the obsession of the main protagonist to solve the case intensifies, he gains a bad wig, a bad false beard and it all gets a bit silly and slightly tedious.  I can't reveal too much about why this dragged out without adding spoilers, but I'd started to lose interest well before the end and by the time it ended, I was just 'meh'.  4.5/10.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Offset said:
    In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019)  I wanted to like this, I really did.  Another time-hopping narrative which starts promisingly with a series of mysterious, seemingly random, deaths and an elusive suspect. But for me, it all starts unravelling as the obsession of the main protagonist to solve the case intensifies, he gains a bad wig, a bad false beard and it all gets a bit silly and slightly tedious.  I can't reveal too much about why this dragged out without adding spoilers, but I'd started to lose interest well before the end and by the time it ended, I was just 'meh'.  4.5/10.
    My family and I really enjoyed that film! I'm a massive time travel fan and I thought that there was one superb aspect to the story - which would be a bit of a spoiler if I mentioned. For us it was a 9.
    The family sat and watched Jungle Cruise on Disney+ yesterday, and we loved it! A perfect family adventure film (OK, a bit scary in places for very young kids maybe). Dwayne Johnson is so good in this sort of role and Emily Blunt is just lovely. Really daft in places but just a lot of fun. 9/10 for us.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11618
    axisus said:
    Offset said:
    My family and I really enjoyed that film! I'm a massive time travel fan and I thought that there was one superb aspect to the story - which would be a bit of a spoiler if I mentioned. For us it was a 9.
    Did you enjoy Boss Level?  Absolutely loved it!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    Offset said:
    That was one of the first Netflix originals I watched, a couple of years ago.  I like Jim Mickle's earlier films like Stake Land, but I was very disappointed.  It gave me an early understanding of the Netflix model, they're selling monthly subscriptions so they don't really care about the quality of their films so long as people watch (and don't hate them so much they cancel Netflix!).  I think if the film had been through the Hollywood process of being shown to test audiences etc, changes would have been made.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    edited January 2022
    The Usual Suspects.  I'd seen this a couple of times before but not for a very long time and there was a lot of detail I'd forgotten.  It has a well deserved reputation as a great modern hard-boiled noir.  The performances and dialogue are brilliant and it's an inventive and memorable piece of work. 

Some real quibbles though.  There's a silliness to the plot that jarred at times, no matter how hard I tried to make allowances for genre.  There's also a studied ambivalence that left me dissatisfied:  if you're going to make me work that hard to understand what's going on please offer a little more clarity in the end.

Finally, the famous ending always niggles.  If Kujan can work out how completely he's been had by looking at the notice board, there must be the risk that he could have done so earlier, in which case Verbal's goose would have been well and truly cooked.  Would a man as intelligent as Verbal have taken that risk?  The film is relying heavily on that gotcha moment when Kujan starts piecing things together but, great as it is in one way, its effect is marred by the viewer's credulity being stretched to breaking point.

Still, there's enough that's great about the film that it can carry its weaknesses. 8.5/10
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    The Usual Suspects.  I'd seen this a couple of times before but not for a very long time and there was a lot of detail I'd forgotten.  It has a well deserved reputation as a great modern hard-boiled noir.  The performances and dialogue are brilliant and it's an inventive and memorable piece of work. 

Some real quibbles though.  There's a silliness to the plot that jarred at times, no matter how hard I tried to make allowances for genre.  There's also a studied ambivalence that left me dissatisfied:  if you're going to make me work that hard to understand what's going on please offer a little more clarity in the end.

Finally, the famous ending always niggles.  If Kujan can work out how completely he's been had by looking at the notice board, there must be the risk that he could have done so earlier, in which case Verbal's goose would have been well and truly cooked.  Would a man as intelligent as Verbal have taken that risk?  The film is relying heavily on that gotcha moment when Kujan starts piecing things together but, great as it is in one way, its effect is marred by the viewer's credulity being stretched to breaking point.

Still, there's enough that's great about the film that it can carry its weaknesses. 8.5/10
    great film, I prefer to think of it as less of a crime thriller and more as a vehicle for the actors and their talents, it's kind of a coherent film school project rather than a film, if that makes sense.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Offset said:
    axisus said:
    Offset said:
    Did you enjoy Boss Level?  Absolutely loved it!
    Not seen it yet. On my must see list ...

I think you are overthinking it. It's very hard to write a perfect script, my general rule with films is "go with the flow". 

The first time I saw that film it blew my mind! The second time it seemed flat as a pancake for me. Some films are 1 viewing films for me.
  • VimFuego said:

great film, I prefer to think of it as less of a crime thriller and more as a vehicle for the actors and their talents, it's kind of a coherent film school project rather than a film, if that makes sense.
    Yeah I can see that angle.  Singer was 27 when he directed it, which is astonishing.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Moonrise Kingdom 

I just love Wes Anderson films, although I can see why some might not.

This wasn't my favourite of his but still very enjoyable.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Mother / Android
    Netflix

This is to Terminator what Cloverfield is to Pacific Rim.  Small scale post apocalyptic situation.  It starts as expected, but you spend the whole film hating the leads for being so consistently stupid and wondering how on earth anybody that dumb could have made it, which immediately makes you think the Android takeover can't be that bad.  

Unlike Cloverfield, this movie feels like it was made by someone who has never even watched movies like this.  When the main character can hold back literally dozens of these things with one arm before kicking the gate the closed with a foot that was just for standing on until then you just lose all hope.  Surely anyone that has watched zombie movies etc (btw almost all of the androids behave like zombies) would know to avoid silly things like this??

Avoid.  The lead actor Chloë Grace Moretz is good in everything I've seen her in but she's not getting the best gigs....

I also watched Argo and thought it was excellent.