What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    + 1 for Jurassic Park Dominion 

Loved it . . . Went with my Mrs and had a ball . . . She screamed and jumped out of her seat a couple of times, Jeff Goldblum ( The Fly ) was intoxicating and absorbing and I too will have to give it a very solid 8 out of 10 . . . possibly even an 8 1/2 . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1826
    edited June 2022
    The Last Boy Scout 1991.
    Bruce Willis at his pre dementia best.
    The opening scenes shocked me as I had no idea about the film. Excellent and a solid 8. Maybe an extra 20 out of ten for a young Halle Berry.
    Oh, and it's an honest PI up against some bad folks kind of thing.
    Excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Brio said:
    The Last Boy Scout 1991.
    Bruce Willis at his pre dementia best.
    The opening scenes shocked me as I had no idea about the film. Excellent and a solid 8. Maybe an extra 20 out of ten for a young Halle Berry.
    Oh, and it's an honest PI up against some bad folks kind of thing.
    Excellent.
    Some brilliant one liners! Would have to concur that it’s a great film if its time. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Just watched Catherine Tate’s ‘Nan the movie’
    in the words of Nan herself,,
    ’what a load of old shit’
    Fucking atrocious 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Bohemian Rhapsody, thoroughly enjoyed it…8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11631
    PhilW1 said:
    Fucking atrocious 
    To be honest, you should have known better :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Offset said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Fucking atrocious 
    To be honest, you should have known better :-)
    Nan was funny for about five minutes but it’s a one gag thing: old lady swears. I can’t imagine how they’ve strung that out over a whole film? 

We just watched the remake of Papillon. The guy who takes the original Steve McQueen part is very good, not so keen on Remi Malik in the Dustin Hoffman role. It’s a great story though and that carries the film. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1826
    edited June 2022
    Jerry and Marge go large.
    A truly wonderful warm movie with no subplot, monsters or boobs. (Booooo to the last part!)
    I really loved it. Paced perfectly with just enough light suspense and allegedly based on a true story.
    Bryan Cranston and Annette Bening star.
    Premise: Married couple Jerry and Marge Selbee live in Evart, Michigan. Jerry retires after working 42 years as a production line manager. One day, Jerry figures out a loophole to repeatedly win the WinFall lottery in Massachusetts. By purchasing a substantial amount, he wins more than he started with. Jerry and Marge decide to use the prize money to revitalize Evart.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Good Morning Vietnam - Barry Levinson (1987)

The well known classic starring Robin Williams and Forest Whitaker.

Hadn’t seen it for around twenty years - it holds up very well, and certainly feels like essential viewing. I have always had a soft spot for Robin Williams, though Mrs 001 finds him unwatchable. Am sure he must have held a lot of sadness in his life, as he portrays soulful emotion so well.

The film itself follows a US comic DJ sent out to broadcast morale boosting shows to the troops - only to find himself at loggerheads with his deranged boss, confused by the reality of war torn Vietnam and smitten with a local girl.

It’s a cracker - highly watchable, funny and tugs on the heartstrings. Williams at his best.

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    21 bridges. Predictable, and cliched, but enjoyable enough..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    The Hitman’s Bodyguard, i like Samuel L in most of his films and thought this was quite entertaining 
    Riddim up
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    The Beckoning Silence - Joe Simpson of Touching the Void fame climbs the Eiger, following in the footsteps (without the death bit) of his hero Toni Kurz who died climbing the Eiger in 1936.

6/10

The Gentlemen - Latest Guy Ritchie film. Similar to the others in that it’s a London gangster film with some funny bits. Pales in comparison to Lock Stock, Snatch and Rock n Rolla. Not bad, but not great. 

6/10

Borat 2 - Kind of what you would expect. Some laugh out loud moments, but no way as good as the first, or some of his other films. 

6/10

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    Mommy (2014) Film 4 I think, last night

I was just about to go to bed and caught the first 5 mins of this film and got sucked in. I ended up going to bed at 4am. Best film I've seen this year. 

Canadian drama about a widowed mother who has a son with ADHD and behavioural issues that she struggles to control. An ending I didn't see coming after quite an emotional sequence featuring the mum's hopes and imaginations for her son's future.

All three of the main characters were acted brilliantly.

9/10 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Bohemian Rhapsody.

Went into it with low expectations. Expected some kind of rock music Notting Hill. Was instead rewarded with an entertaining and touching biopic. 

The crowd cgi was pretty amazing, and 'Brian' and 'John Deacon ' were unnervingly similar looking to the originals. 

Full marks to Rami Malek. 

9/10 from me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Borg vs McEnroe (2017)

Swedish production covering the 1980 Wimbledon campaign, and the two maestros battle with each other and their own personal demons.

Sensitively made, although perhaps a tad deep. It’s a watchable film although nothing particularly groundbreaking.

Lots of Swedish language, which is quite nice (as opposed to Anglicising for the Hollywood audience).

6.5/10
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    We still kill the old way. Lots of familiar faces.. a bit daft and far fetched but we laughed..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Benediction

Terence Davies film about the life of WWI poet Siegfried Sassoon.

A mixed bag - parts are extremely powerful and moving (the war sections and poetry), but others lightweight and seem rather contrived, especially the treatment of the complicated relationships he and his friends revolved through after the war - gay men in a time when that was illegal - I found it hard to believe they could have been quite so open about it then. Jack Lowden's performance as Sassoon is outstanding though, and most of the rest are very good.

At its best it's a truly great film, but it's a bit too patchy overall to quite make it I think.

9/10 or 7/10, I'm not sure which. But if it sounds like your sort of thing, see it.

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22785
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Now on Disney+... I was looking forward to this, seeing as it's directed by Sam Raimi.  But a few horror-movie elements, some interesting guest appearances and a Bruce Campbell cameo are simply not enough.  The story is simply not very good.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    Bad Boys for life last night, far fetched but good entertainment 
    Riddim up
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    Philly_Q said:
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Now on Disney+... I was looking forward to this, seeing as it's directed by Sam Raimi.  But a few horror-movie elements, some interesting guest appearances and a Bruce Campbell cameo are simply not enough.  The story is simply not very good.
    I watched this yesterday, very underwhelmed.