What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74390
    edited August 4
    Lightyear

Pixar retroactive origin story for the Buzz Lightyear toy Andy had in Toy Story. I wasn't sure about this at first and it's been sitting on my Disney+ watch list for years, but finally got around to it when we were looking for something fairly lightweight last night. It's actually very well done, although it's so complex and detailed it's possibly not really a kids' film - at least not to get the best out of it - the homages and steals from everything from Star Wars to Interstellar to Disney's original Fantasia - even Terminator - are brilliant, and you spend most of it just trying to keep up with it all... as usual for Pixar, the quality of the animation is stunning, and gets close to almost forgetting it's not live action in a few places.

It's at least as good relative to the original Toy Story franchise as some of the Star Wars spin-offs like Solo are, if that makes sense - although not quite up there with Rogue One. If there's one major criticism, it's that a key plot point makes one of the best lines in Toy Story 2 (in fact, in the entire history of cinema ) no longer work... without that, I'd give it another point.

7/10

(Disney+)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16610
    League of Ungentlemanly Warfare 
    Guy Ritchie's rollicking Boys Own WW2 warfilm .........jolly jape light entertainment based on a true story
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16655
    Timcito said:
    Westworld was on while I was cooking dinner this afternoon. Great film and quite topical for the A.I. times we find ourselves in.

Some of these old films are interesting for the ways in which behavioral norms have changed. The two supposedly average young American guys indulge in a Western cowboy fantasy and drink large amounts of whisky during a staged brawl. When they wake up, they both have filthy hangovers. I somehow doubt that two such average guys in a film like this today would do such a thing.

Anyway, amazing to think I saw that film for the first time at a cinema in Oldham soon after it came out. I must have been 15 or so.
    One of my favourites, early Michael Crichton I think. I love 1970s pre Star Wars sci-fi. 
    The remake as a series went well for one season and is probably best left there. Also gave us the brilliant song Do You Believe in the West World by Theatre of Hate. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1127
    Timcito said:
    Westworld was on while I was cooking dinner this afternoon. Great film and quite topical for the A.I. times we find ourselves in.

Some of these old films are interesting for the ways in which behavioral norms have changed. The two supposedly average young American guys indulge in a Western cowboy fantasy and drink large amounts of whisky during a staged brawl. When they wake up, they both have filthy hangovers. I somehow doubt that two such average guys in a film like this today would do such a thing.

Anyway, amazing to think I saw that film for the first time at a cinema in Oldham soon after it came out. I must have been 15 or so.
    One of my favourites, early Michael Crichton I think. I love 1970s pre Star Wars sci-fi. 
    The remake as a series went well for one season and is probably best left there. Also gave us the brilliant song Do You Believe in the West World by Theatre of Hate. 
    Did you ever see Zardoz? That was another film I saw as a teenager at the cinema soon after its release. It was panned by the critics, apparently, but I remember quite enjoying it. It seemed odd, quite off-beat, but there was enough in it to keep me intrigued. That one I've never had the chance to revisit.
    Timcito said:

Did you ever see Zardoz? That was another film I saw as a teenager at the cinema soon after its release. It was panned by the critics, apparently, but I remember quite enjoying it. It seemed odd, quite off-beat, but there was enough in it to keep me intrigued. That one I've never had the chance to revisit.
    I think it's a very good film. It may not have been helped by having Sean Connery in a red leather mankini though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Timcito said:
    Timcito said:

I have done but it’s been a long time. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    ICBM said:
    Timcito said:

I think it's a very good film. It may not have been helped by having Sean Connery in a red leather mankini though...
    with modern CGI there is no excuse for not doing something about the mankini. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    VimFuego said:
    ICBM said:
    Timcito said:

with modern CGI there is no excuse for not doing something about the mankini. 
    I don't know if John Boorman is into George Lucas/William Friedkin style tinkering with his films.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13889
    I loved Shun Canary but this was never his best look, agreed.

Zardoz Take a look behind the scenes of Sean Connerys strangest movie

Offset said:
    I loved Shun Canary but this was never his best look, agreed.

Zardoz Take a look behind the scenes of Sean Connerys strangest movie

It was the mid-70s. They did things differently back then!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25488
    Troy - the one with Brad Pitt & Orlando Bloom & Peter O'Toole.

and Sean Bean.

and Brian Cox.

and Brandan Gleeson.

and Trevor Eve.

and the bloke out of Highlander and Braveheart, James Cosmo.

It was pretty shit.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    ICBM said:
    Lightyear

Pixar retroactive origin story for the Buzz Lightyear toy Andy had in Toy Story. I wasn't sure about this at first and it's been sitting on my Disney+ watch list for years, but finally got around to it when we were looking for something fairly lightweight last night. It's actually very well done, although it's so complex and detailed it's possibly not really a kids' film - at least not to get the best out of it - the homages and steals from everything from Star Wars to Interstellar to Disney's original Fantasia - even Terminator - are brilliant, and you spend most of it just trying to keep up with it all... as usual for Pixar, the quality of the animation is stunning, and gets close to almost forgetting it's not live action in a few places.

It's at least as good relative to the original Toy Story franchise as some of the Star Wars spin-offs like Solo are, if that makes sense - although not quite up there with Rogue One. If there's one major criticism, it's that a key plot point makes one of the best lines in Toy Story 2 (in fact, in the entire history of cinema ) no longer work... without that, I'd give it another point.

7/10

(Disney+)
    I'm of the same opinion regarding this. 
    It got some heavy criticism and a bit of it missing the point a bit. 

Curious as to the TS2 line that is scuppered.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3809
    Timcito said:
    Timcito said:

Zardoz is certainly different but it’s actually one of my all time favourite movies.

Another is the original Andromeda Strain.
    sinbaadi said:

Curious as to the TS2 line that is scuppered.
    [Spoiler alert if you're one of the tiny number of people who've never seen it!]

Timcito said:
    Timcito said:

Zardoz is certainly different but it’s actually one of my all time favourite movies.

Another is the original Andromeda Strain.
    More Michael Crichton, I read the Andromeda Strain novel a few years ago although again I'm struggling to remember the film. Shame that streaming services don't really carry these unless you pay an extra few quid for a download. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    Troy - the one with Brad Pitt & Orlando Bloom & Peter O'Toole.

and Sean Bean.

and Brian Cox.

and Brandan Gleeson.

and Trevor Eve.

and the bloke out of Highlander and Braveheart, James Cosmo.

It was pretty shit.
    I agree. And that's coming from someone who is favorably disposed to historical fiction. A prime example of how the Hollywood treatment can turn even the best ideas into a glossy magazine. Let's make Brad Pitt a superhero and dress him up in one of those cute little Roman soldier costumes!   ;) 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    like 80's classic horror from itallian legends in a double bill with kick ass soundtracks.

https://youtu.be/HwqMouXpwKY?si=R9FhZA9k-TW39eI1

bloody classic films 9/10  
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    ^^ Nice one.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    just watched the director's cut of doctor sleep. 

i have to say i thought the film was great and did a good job of continuing from the shining too. 

9/10

also watched the colour out of space (based on an hp lovecraft short story) with nicholas cage.

i enjoyed the film and would give that   a  7/10 some good sfx in it.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    edited August 7
    Just seen Deadpool/Wolverine.
    I laughed nonstop. So many Easter eggs in there. Loved seeing  xxxx again. Had no idea xxx and xxxx xxxx would be in there.
    Brilliant. First cinema visit since Maverick and well worth it.