What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    The Beach, IPlayer. Seen it a few times, I enjoyed it.

Halfway through Pride, also on IPlayer and as mentioned by our very own @Emp_Fab.

What a cast, what a great almost true story. 
    I saw it at a cinema back when I used to do shit like that.
    I might even start it again, Mrs J is away or I'd be going there's so and so all evening out loud.

Up next on Netflix - Final Destination.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3884
    Dominic said:
    League of Ungentlemanly Warfare 
    Guy Ritchie's rollicking Boys Own WW2 warfilm .........jolly jape light entertainment based on a true story
    I watched this and quite enjoyed it. Shades of 60's/70's ensemble war movies like Escape to Athena, Dirty Dozen etc. Lots of Nazis meet a very messy end. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3884
    Timcito said:
    Timcito said:
    Westworld was on while I was cooking dinner this afternoon. Great film and quite topical for the A.I. times we find ourselves in.

Some of these old films are interesting for the ways in which behavioral norms have changed. The two supposedly average young American guys indulge in a Western cowboy fantasy and drink large amounts of whisky during a staged brawl. When they wake up, they both have filthy hangovers. I somehow doubt that two such average guys in a film like this today would do such a thing.

Anyway, amazing to think I saw that film for the first time at a cinema in Oldham soon after it came out. I must have been 15 or so.
    One of my favourites, early Michael Crichton I think. I love 1970s pre Star Wars sci-fi. 
    The remake as a series went well for one season and is probably best left there. Also gave us the brilliant song Do You Believe in the West World by Theatre of Hate. 
    Did you ever see Zardoz? That was another film I saw as a teenager at the cinema soon after its release. It was panned by the critics, apparently, but I remember quite enjoying it. It seemed odd, quite off-beat, but there was enough in it to keep me intrigued. That one I've never had the chance to revisit.
    Yes,  familiar with it and enjoyed it. Fairly thoughtful sci fi back when such a thing was made, before Star Wars swept it (almost,) all away. See also: Silent Running, Solent Green, Solaris and Stalker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74390
    Jfingers said:
    The Beach, IPlayer. Seen it a few times, I enjoyed it.
    It’s a great film. Tilda Swinton especially is outstanding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    Jfingers said:
    Up next on Netflix - Final Destination.
    I'm contemplating a Final Destination week, like my Scream week a few months back.  I don't think Netflix have all five of them, but I'll track them down somewhere.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    Maine on Amazon prime. Very low key slow moving film just a drama about two people hiking. 

I really enjoyed it 8/10.  
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 385
    edited August 7
    Brio said:
    Just seen Deadpool/Wolverine.
    I laughed nonstop. So many Easter eggs in there. Loved seeing XXX again. Had no idea XXX and XXX would be in there.
    Brilliant. First cinema visit since Maverick and well worth it.
    That's quite a spoiler for a movie still in theatres. @Brio ;;

I can only hope I'm missing an inside joke I'll get when I actually watch the film. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    pt22 said:
    Brio said:
    Just seen Deadpool/Wolverine.
    I laughed nonstop. So many Easter eggs in there. Loved seeing XXX again. Had no idea XXX and XXX would be in there.
    Brilliant. First cinema visit since Maverick and well worth it.
    That's quite a spoiler for a movie still in theatres. @Brio ;;

I can only hope I'm missing an inside joke I'll get when I actually watch the film. 
    I never thought of that, I was still amped after seeing it. My original post is now edited. Thanks for pointing it out.
    I'll not do that again.
    It was good though.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    Before I Go To Sleep - Netflix.

Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth Mark Strong and Anne-Marie Duff.

"Christine Lucas wakes up next to a man she does not know. The man explains that he is her husband, Ben, and that she suffered severe brain damage from a car accident fourteen years earlier, resulting in her having no memory of her life from her early twenties onwards."

Quite gripping, some good performances. I rather enjoyed it.

• pt22pt22 Frets: 385
    Brio said:
    It was good though.
    No doubt! I'm still very much looking forward to it. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    edited August 9

Censor

Movie 2021 

Horror/Thriller/violence/blood/gore

Back to the early '80s, and the world of straight to video "nasties", video rental shops on every high street, Thatcher, Daily Mail, press outrage and pre-internet research methods. 

An attractive dedicated and serious young film censor (Niamh Algar) watches endless sickening violence and gore for a living, but the world of censorship starts to merge with her real life when she starts to see strange coincidences in some of the movies she is censoring and a connection to dark events in her childhood, which becomes an obsession in turn leading her into mortal danger and mental turmoil.

At the same time, seemingly connected violent events in the public domain turn the press attention on the censors and directly onto her decision to pass a video nasty for release. 

Great tense subtly shifting atmosphere, sharp  period detail, subtle and unnerving central performance make this very watchable.  

8/10

Censor 2021 - Blu-ray Review

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8960
    I watched Stand By Me the night before last, and Bird on a Wire last night.  Completely different types of movie, but both good in their own right.  I haven't seen either for many years.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Mountain Queen: The Summits of Lhakpa Sherpa.
    Netflix

Interesting Everest documentary essentially.  Lhakpa is an incredible woman.  Worth a watch. 

8/10
  • Paradise on Netflix, foreign film with(bad) English dubbing.

Tech allows you to sell years off your life/use years as collateral etc.. with obviously the rich living years with the poor and needy fkd.

I thought it was going to be crap but it was actually pretty good.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1775
    edited August 9
    Watched the shining on bbc4hd last week and the remastering was phenomenal and made the atmosphere even better than i remember it. Not seen it for decades. 10/10. still on iplayer i think. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16655
    Deja Vu

Film 4

This is the kind of thing that explains why I don't watch all that many films. Seems like a thriller but descends into wibble that's about as thrilling as cleaning the claggy bits off my dog's arse hair. 
    Sci-fi that's not space ships and aliens.
     Made shortly after hurricane Katrina and apparently making the film helped inject money into the local economy at that time so I guess that's good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I actually really like Deja Vu.
    I am a massive Denzil fanboi though...
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2790
    Had no idea XXX and XXX would be in there.

Both Vin Diesel and Ice Cube? Wow!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Had no idea XXX and XXX would be in there.

Both Vin Diesel and Ice Cube? Wow!

I could tell you, but then you'd have to kill me.