What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    A couple this week both based on true stories

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare….Latest offering from Guy Ritchie, I generally like his films, this didn't disappoint a such, but it wasn't his best offering, but we watched it until the end, so not too bad
    Couldn't really get behind the characters somehow and his films usually have great characters, we both thought the same, also some of the dialogue couldnt be heard 7/10

Wicked Little Letters….A great romp, superbly characterised and acted, lovely locations, really enjoyed it, very “British” 10/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    Last night we watched Bryce Dallas Howard, er….. I mean Jurassic World. 

She was very good, I especially liked the bit where they rubbed her in baby oil to make her look sweaty. Her hair style improved as the movie progressed and her ability to run in high heels is impressive. 

Apparently there were some dinosaurs running amok, too

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    edited August 12
    Haych said:

She was very good, I especially liked the bit where they rubbed her in baby oil to make her look sweaty. Her hair style improved as the movie progressed and her ability to run in high heels is impressive. 

An honest review.

Wiz awarded.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13889
    Color Out Of Space (2019), Prime.

I mentioned this in another totally unrelated post in P&E but thought I'd more correctly mention it on here for posterity.

I've watched this before and didn't like it, but because I'm a sucker for all things HP Lovecraft I decided to give it another go.  And let's be honest - not every Nic Cage film is a stinker.  Well I'm afraid to say I got it right first time around.  This is a stinker.  So bad in fact that I gave up 75% of the way through - I just couldn't watch any more.  Oh - and Cage is fecking awful in it.

Avoid.  2/10.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    @Offset I liked it, I didn't think it was amazing but I liked it.  At least I think I did... I remember expectations were high because it was Richard Stanley's first film in yonks, and it didn't live up to expectations but I still thought it was OK.

Maybe I should watch it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don't Go in the House (1979) (Arrow Channel)

One of the original Video Nasties, and one I hadn't seen before.  Like many horror movies of that era, it's low-budget. features a no-name cast and has a minimal plot which makes very little sense.  Like most films on the Video Nasty list, you watch it now and wonder what all the fuss was about.

It's alright, and the restored version now on Arrow looks way better than those under-the-counter VHS tapes would have done.  Certainly not essential viewing though.
    Haych said:

An honest review.

Wiz awarded.

Agreed.  I don't usually watch a film for such base motives, but I watch that film solely to look at Bryce Dallas Howard.  I know that's wrong.  If I was a Catholic I would probably be going to confession and saying a lot of Hail Marys in penance.

I still think the bit with the British girl who gets eaten by the big water monster is needlessly cruel.
    Philly_Q said:
    Agreed.  I don't usually watch a film for such base motives, but I watch that film solely to look at Bryce Dallas Howard.  I know that's wrong.  If I was a Catholic I would probably be going to confession and saying a lot of Hail Marys in penance.

I still think the bit with the British girl who gets eaten by the big water monster is needlessly cruel.
    It was more of a bonus than an actual reason for watching.  The Missus chose it as some bubblegum for the mind, the fact it has BDH in the lead is just a cherry on top for me.

The JP/JW movies aren't amazing by any stretch of the imagination - and you do need to stretch your imagination to breaking point to watch them, but I don't mind them every now and then if there's nothing else worth watching.

Still better than any Marvel film, so there is that.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:

An honest review.

Wiz awarded.

Have you seen the Black mirror episode with BDH in Phil. That's well worth a watch, not only for her, but it's a great episode generally.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Have you seen the Black mirror episode with BDH in Phil. That's well worth a watch, not only for her, but it's a great episode generally.
    I haven't, never really got into Black Mirror.  I'm not - honestly! - a huge BDH fanboy (Lady in the Water for example, what a load of dreck), I think the magic may be limited to Jurassic World, but I do intend to watch Black Mirror at some point.
    edited August 14
    Paganini Horror (1988)(FreeVee on Amazon Prime)

A struggling rock band acquire a forgotten piece of music by Niccolo Paganini and think they can turn it into a pop hit.  They go to shoot a video at a house in Venice which was once owned by Paganini himself... but evil forces have been unleashed.  Why, I'm not exactly sure...

The musical aspect is pretty much abandoned after about 20 minutes and it turns into a schlocky haunted house movie with a masked, violin-wielding figure - strongly resembling the little Nazi doll in the Puppetmaster films - going around bumping people off.

Featuring a cameo appearance by Donald Pleasence, with someone else dubbing his voice on the English soundtrack... 

This was directed by Luigi Cozzi, a long-time friend and associate of Dario Argento, and co-written by the film's star Daria Nicolodi, Argento's ex.  Cozzi's a nice chap, but making films is really not his forte.  It's not often I see a film and think "even I could've made a better job of directing and editing that", but in this case I quite possibly could have... it's totally inept.
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 379
    On my daughter's recommendation I got "Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar".
    She thought is was incredibly funny.
    I thought it sucked, or rather it would suck if you could ever understand what the two principles are saying.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2804
    edited August 15
    Just noticed that somebody has uploaded Duel to YouTube so watched it this afternoon. Such a simple concept converted into a lesson in suspense and terror. I love it. One of Spielberg’s finest IMO.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2245
    And it was his first film...
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:

Fractured
    2019 suspense thriller
    Netflix

watchable. 

6.5/10
    Not watchable imo. Didn't even get as far as them going missing. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2494
    edited August 23
    Have You Got It Yet?

Doc Sky Arts

An excellent doc following the tragic journey of Syd Barrett from greatness into mental illness and then dependent recluse. 

Recommended. 

In a black-and-white image a man is seen shirtless and barefoot sitting cross-legged on a wooden floor The room contains several paint canvases and a small amplifier
    rze99 said:
    Have You Got It Yet?

Doc Sky Arts

An excellent doc following the tragic journey of Syd Barrett from greatness into mental illness and then dependent recluse. 

Recommended. 

rze99 said:
    Have You Got It Yet?

Doc Sky Arts

Recommended. 
    Fuck me.  I'm depressed already.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Dune 2. Had a voucher from Prime to use and this won the vote. It’s a curious film… it’s visually stunning, the effects are especially good, it’s well acted, it moves along at a decent pace, the storyline is decent. But…. it’s really uninvolving and flat and I had no investment in the characters. 6/10. 
    Witchcraft/Witchery (take your pick) - 1988, Prime.

Insane Italian nonsense.  Stars The Hoff, Linda Blair and Hildegard Knef.  Gory but laughable hokum about a witch who has returned from the dead to... I dunno, do something or other.  I can't be bothered to recount what little plot there is, but I will tell you it's preposterous.  Lots of tits, arse and shagging but don't be fooled into thinking that is in any way a good thing because it isn't.  It's about as erotic as a naked Therese Coffey.

It is, however, so bad it's borderline good and has a certain vintage appeal.  Open the popcorn, have a couple of glasses of wine and watch the bodies pile up as the cast die in a variety of ways at the hands of the witch (who looks like Courtney Love at 70) and a couple of escapees from Time Bandits.  Good fun in its' own way as long as you don't take it seriously and don't mind awful acting.

I will refrain from scoring it. 
    Alien: Romulus

This is a difficult one to unpack without taking into account where it sits in the Alien cannon and without giving away any spoilers.

Thankfully, it is a better Alien film than Prometheus and most certainly better than Covenant.

It plays like a greatest hits of moments from the first two movies, and therein lies the problem - more on that later.

The characters are so well written that you only care about the fate of two of them, the rest are, as Ash so eloquently stated in Alien, expendable.

The main protagonist is a young lass named Rain, she looks about 15.  A definite nod to Ripley but possibly to appeal to a much younger audience.  That is another problem, the cast are all very young and while there is nothing wrong with that or any of the performances of the cast, it just doesn't seem grounded the way it would if the cast and characters were ten years older.  

When Ripley went up against the xenomorph in Alien you got the sense she'd seen and done things and knew her way around a problematic situation.  The characters in Romulus were so young that they couldn't have very much life experience so pitching them up against a nasty space beastie just doesn't gel.  They'd all be dead probably before they met the xenomorph.

But, we're back to good old xenomorph action, none of this origin BS of the other prequels.

On its own it's not too bad a film but it's difficult to watch without thinking about where it falls in the timeline of Alien and Aliens and for me it ruins them both.  The writers insist on continuing to add new plot mechanisms surrounding the xenomorph, how it functions and its lifecycle - no doubt to add plausibility to the plot but also laying groundwork for future films maybe.

The ending did stray into Resurrection/Prometheus territory a little, it was unnecessary and a little bit cringy, but it was done a bit better.

Effects were mostly very good.  Less CGI and more rubber monsters, although they did use a whole heap of CGI to bring back a blast from the past, not extremely convincingly, I might add.

Once again much is made of the "perfect organism" and it went a little off piste in the middle but thankfully didn't stay in the rough for more than it was necessary to set up the ending.

But there we have it, the perfect organism was introduced in the perfect film back in 1979.  James Cameron did a remarkable job of making an excellent second film and together they are quite brilliant.

After that there's nowhere really to take the story, not that makes any sense in any case.  It's not scary any more, generations know what a xenomorph looks like even if they haven't seen the film, so the insistence on making more and more films in the same overall storyline is futile, it adds nothing and Romulus does that in droves.

Now it is just a case of making a film because they can and they should have just stopped after Aliens.

Yes, it's a better film but it isn't a great film because it can't be for all the above reasons.  It's tense in places and there was one really good jump scare, but only the one.

Not everything made sense, there are still things I'm trying to unpack and there are still holes in the plot large enough to fly the Nostromo through.

But the best film of the series since Aliens.