What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    The Hitcher (1986)

Cinema screening in a new 4K restoration from Second Sight.  Oh boy, it holds up really well.  And great to see a pre-CGI film with loads of real stunts, explosions, car chases and even a helicopter crash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    rze99 said:

Emily the Criminal

2022 Crime drama movie
    Netflix

Smart and edgy Emily (brilliantly played Aubrey Plaza) is a New Jersey artist designer saddled with huge student debt and locked out of the design agency job market due to a minor criminal record,.

She's moved to LA to try her luck there and is doing fill in work doing zero contract food delivery orders. Increasingly desperate for income, she takes a tip and follows up on a contact. This leads to her taking work as a a "dummy shopper," - buying goods with stolen credit cards for cash in hand.

Although still pursuing straight jobs, Emily soon finds herself seduced the fast good cash of crime and increasingly raises the risks for greater rewards, getting closer to one of the criminal gang leaders, which inevitably leads to more extreme consequences.

This called to mind in the '90s at a party I met a US doctor visiting the UK and she told me about her student debt which, even back then, was $60,000. I was gobsmacked.

Strong and taut tale, directed with pace and intent.

Excellent and highly recommended.

9/10

Emily the Criminal Review Survival Strategy - The New York Times

Watched last night, really enjoyed it thanks.
    Watched it this rainy afternoon, not too shabby!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 74
    I've seen Emily the Criminal too. Good flick, enjoyed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    Just finished Emily the Criminal after a few good reviews here. 

It’s was ok but felt it was a bit slow and dragged a little. 

Not a bad film by a long stretch but not as good as I was expecting it to be. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74390
    Unfrosted

Netflix Jerry Seinfeld comedy about the creation of Kellogg’s Pop Tarts… really :). It looked worth a try because the title card has Hugh Grant as Tony The Tiger!

It’s quite surreal, and surprisingly a lot of it is actually based (very loosely) on the genuine story - I was interested enough to actually read up on it ;).

Hugh Grant really doesn’t take himself seriously, and is very good - playing a real historical character actor - he’s also beginning to bear quite a resemblance to Vincent Price as he gets older, which he may be aware of and playing up to… Christian Slater has a cameo too. Some of it is very funny, some is just trying a bit too hard. Lightweight and not too long.

7/10

(Strangely, Seinfeld’s character is actually based on William Post, who worked for Kellogg’s but was not related to the rival Post company. I’m surprised they didn’t make that a plot point.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057
    guyinlyon said:
    On my daughter's recommendation I got "Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar".
    She thought is was incredibly funny.
    I thought it sucked, or rather it would suck if you could ever understand what the two principles are saying.
    If you are friendly with women and watch it with women it's pretty funny... you (less so) and your daughter might more enjoy watching Bottoms together.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057
    Sanctuary

Good suspenseful darkly kinky comedy. A bit like Succession meets an 80's erotic thriller  30mins in you might think "ok this is goofy" but it keeps escalating. It's better if you remember it's a comedy. Great acting.

8/10

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    If you guys liked Aubrey Plaza in the above mentioned movie try 'safety not guaranteed' if you havent already watched it, its really good.

Safety Not Guaranteed Official Trailer #1 - Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass Movie (2012) HD (youtube.com)

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2790
    edited August 25
    Hugh Grant really doesn’t take himself seriously, and is very good - playing a real historical character actor - he’s also beginning to bear quite a resemblance to Vincent Price as he gets older, which he may be aware of and playing up to

Oh, now you've gone and got me wanting a Dr Phibes reboot/sequel with HG as Phibes. 
    edited August 25
    Blink Twice

Channing Tatum is a tech billionaire who takes a sabbatical to address behaviour, the nature of which, is never explicitly stated.

After his apology and comeback he meets a Frida (Naomi Ackie) and Jess (Alia Shawkat) who are waitressing at a fundraising event.  They are invited to mingle with his entourage and are then asked to return with him and the rest of his group to his private island where they bask in the sun all day and party all night - drink, weed and hallucinogens aplenty.

All seems to be going well until Jess is bitten by a snake and then everyone's memory starts becoming hazy.

Psychological thriller which seemed to have legs.  The build up lays some excellent groundwork but then never delivers on its promise.

There were several directions the movie could have taken but it went down the path of least resistance which led to a disappointing final act and damp ending.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but it seemed to have certain undertones of Epstein woven into the subplot.

5/10 - Local cinema

• ewalewal Frets: 2813
    edited August 25
    Emily The Criminal because it was mentioned here.

Quite a grim watch. Very little going on beyond the main plot, which isn't that interesting. Just about the only notable characteristic is that the lead is a woman. If it had been a man, it would've been completely forgettable. Reasonably well acted and shot, so...

4/10
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3445
    Had a really lazy day with the girlfriend, so we watched 3 movies from The Chronicles of Riddick:

Pitch Black
    The Chronicles of Riddick
    Riddick

There are actually two more ''parts'' to it, a game - which is bloody amazing, and a full length cartoon - really not child friendly.  The three movies together as a story gets the big thumbs up from us, though the second and third films are by far the weakest in the franchise, and seriously do not stand up in their own right as individual films - though the cartoon is extremely good.  The first film, Pitch Black, is really good, and more than easily holds it's own weight
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    If you guys liked Aubrey Plaza in the above mentioned movie try 'safety not guaranteed' if you havent already watched it, its really good.

Safety Not Guaranteed Official Trailer #1 - Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass Movie (2012) HD (youtube.com)

Watched this one this evening on your recommendation, @robgilmo.

A decent comedy/feelgood movie, quite enjoyed it and was far better than the other Aubrey Plaza movie mentioned above.

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    Event Horizon. 5/10 Haven't watched it since I saw it at the cinema in the 90's. Not as good as I remember. Although I always used to have a couple of pints first before watching films back then. I remember it being a lot scarier with a deeper plot, but that's alcohol for you.

Barbarian. 6.5/10 Quite good for a horror film.

Both on E4.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2509
    Trap

Well, that was absolute crap. 

Basically, a very obvious vehicle for nepotism, in that M Night Shaymalan’s daughter gets to sing her own songs and ‘act’ for most of the film, while the very VERY obvious plot holes go ignored. 

It was just utterly ridiculous throughout. Thankfully we had free tickets, or I’d have been VERY annoyed at wasting my money. 

2.5/10
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30115
    Keiko said:

I tried that, but my view was that it was awful, even for a horror film. 3.2 out of 4.5. Felt ad-libbed by people with no experience of ad-libbing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    Sporky said:
    Keiko said:

I tried that, but my view was that it was awful, even for a horror film. 3.2 out of 4.5. Felt ad-libbed by people with no experience of ad-libbing.

The ending wasn't brilliant, but the suspense was there in my opinion. From what I understand it's based on research done about the pysychological tricks that men use to comfort women when actually they have ulterior sinister motives. The acting, yeah doubt any oscars will be given.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    The Union  - Secret government agency action nonsense with Marky Mark and Halle Berry. Its rubbish but I find Mr Wahlberg quite watchable so 7/10.

Operation Mincemeat - WW2 drama about a secret plot to deceive the Nazis. A decent watch but kept getting distracted by Kelly Macdonalds woeful acting. 

Elvis  - Fantastic . Incredible performance from Austin Butler. 10/10 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Wonka.
    Bought it on Google play with some free play credit earned on Google Opinions app.  (Would recommend as a way to earn £30 odd quid a year in play credit for minimal effort.)

Really enjoyed it.  It's so light-hearted and whimsical, I'm really glad that movies like this are still being made.  I'm not bothered about the canon etc.  It is just fun in the same way as Paddington movies are fun. 

9/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25001
    The Substance

Demi Moore plays a fading celebrity who is offered a black market drug which, it's claimed, will restore her youth and vitality.  Hmm, sounds like nothing could possibly go wrong there....

I saw this at a festival screening last night, I think it comes out in November, but anyway... no spoilers but it is fucking amazing.