What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 349
    Oblivion.  It was on last night, I don't normally watch Tom Cruise films but this I found intersting.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3884
    Philly_Q said:
    The Substance

Demi Moore plays a fading celebrity who is offered a black market drug which, it's claimed, will restore her youth and vitality.  Hmm, sounds like nothing could possibly go wrong there....

I saw this at a festival screening last night, I think it comes out in November, but anyway... no spoilers but it is fucking amazing.
    Saw the trailer. I'm def going to watch this. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    edited August 27
    Philly_Q said:
    The Substance

Demi Moore plays a fading celebrity who is offered a black market drug which, it's claimed, will restore her youth and vitality.  Hmm, sounds like nothing could possibly go wrong there....

I saw this at a festival screening last night, I think it comes out in November, but anyway... no spoilers but it is fucking amazing.
    Frightfest?

Anything like Skincrawlers from the Creepshow reboot?  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24996
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The Substance

Frightfest?

Yeah, it was the closing (and best) film at FrightFest.  I haven't seen the Creepshow episode, but no, looking at the synopsis there's no similarity.  I really don't want to say too much, I knew very little going in to The Substance but having seen the director's previous film and heard her introduction last night, I had my own expectations... but it was completely different from anything I'd imagined.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    ^^ On my list- ta Phil.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6511
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The Substance

Frightfest?

Yeah, it was the closing (and best) film at FrightFest.  I haven't seen the Creepshow episode, but no, looking at the synopsis there's no similarity.  I really don't want to say too much, I knew very little going in to The Substance but having seen the director's previous film and heard her introduction last night, I had my own expectations... but it was completely different from anything I'd imagined.
    Intrigued. There was a skin cream horror flick called "The Outside" a while ago. 

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 955
    Caravan-bound today due to really 5h1te weather so I found The boys in the boat (2023) on Prime.

I'm an ex-oarsman and it's a true story about underdogs, Olympic games, class system and human spirit.

Yep, the acting is ham in places and the plot is over over-egged at times (no pun intended with ham and eggs) but it's a cracking story.

I've spent an hour reading about the actual story and characters after the film finished and it adds a bit more depth.

Happy to say 8/10

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24996
    goldtop said:
    Intrigued. There was a skin cream horror flick called "The Outside" a while ago. 

Oh yes, that was an episode of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.  One of the better ones, I think.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    The Killer - really liked it

Nope - a good watch
  • Beetlejuice

Watched the original on Netflix in advance of the new one coming out next weekend. I hadn't seen it for about 25 years, and my partner had never even seen it before! 

Completely bonkers and original, with all the trademark vintage Tim Burton humour and aesthetics. Enjoyed my little trip down memory lane, and my partner thoroughly enjoyed seeing it for the first time.

8/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam Sandler: Love You.  His stand-up on Netflix.  He can seriously play guitar (and bass).  He even brought a nice collection of Fenders on stage with him.  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    The Giant Gila Monster. Talking Pictures. 1950’s  “horror” movie in glorious black-and-white-o-vision. Terrible plot featuring tear away youths with hearts of gold driving, gasp, hot rods!! Awful acting and seriously bad special effects, with real life lizard on clumsy miniature sets, add up to a so-bad-it’s-great film. I loved it. 

Fun fact. The producer made the film back to back with another schlock creature feature “The Killer Shrews”. The two films were often shown on the same bill. Can’t wait to see it. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3809
    boogieman said:
    The Giant Gila Monster. Talking Pictures. 1950’s  “horror” movie in glorious black-and-white-o-vision. Terrible plot featuring tear away youths with hearts of gold driving, gasp, hot rods!! Awful acting and seriously bad special effects, with real life lizard on clumsy miniature sets, add up to a so-bad-it’s-great film. I loved it. 

Fun fact. The producer made the film back to back with another schlock creature feature “The Killer Shrews”. The two films were often shown on the same bill. Can’t wait to see it. 
    Oooohhhh,,, interesting 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2244
    boogieman said:

Oooohhhh,,, interesting 
    boogieman said:

Oooohhhh,,, interesting 
    Triple bill it with Night of the Lupus
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    I watched Alien: Romulus yesterday. I came away from it feeling happy that the franchise is back on track; however, today I've realised I have questions, but can't openly so as not to give away spoilers. It could be that I missed something, but there's a niggling question. Thankfully, a lot less questions than after watching Prometheus...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• HaychHaych Frets: 6158
    I watched Alien: Romulus yesterday. I came away from it feeling happy that the franchise is back on track; however, today I've realised I have questions, but can't openly so as not to give away spoilers. It could be that I missed something, but there's a niggling question. Thankfully, a lot less questions than after watching Prometheus...
    Just one?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    Haych said:
    Just one?
    Ok, a couple.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Haych said:
    Just one?
    Ok, a couple.
    I’ve seen it so if you wanna chat over PM……. I can’t guarantee I have the answers to your questions though, I have a few of my own. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. 
    Disney. 

Oh dear. Looks like a computer game rather than a film. Rubbish plot too, even by the previous lowish standards. 3/10. 
    Alien Romulus…… again. 

Stepson hadn’t seen it so took him last night. 

Still alright, still have questions. Did I mention there’s a nice nod to Rush fans about halfway through?  Blink and you’ll miss it and it could of course be coincidence but I like to think not.