I've bought a macbook

What's Hot
RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
Opted for the macbook air with the intention of docking it and having it replace my main desktop.  Can't get a clear answer as to whether the M1 model can do extended displays but it sounds like a 3rd party driver and a hub will do the trick.  Not a huge problem if it's just mirrored to 1 screen but being able to use all 3 (2 monitors + laptop) in extended mode would be ideal.

Life long Windows and Linux user so I was expecting a bit of rough ride but initial impressions are very positive.  At the moment it feels a lot like some of the linux distros I've used but with better quality control.  Set up virtual desktops and love the multifinger gestures on the touchpad for navigating through them.

So...mac users, recommend me stuff!  OS bits that I may missing coming from windows, killer apps I might not be aware of etc.  Anything music related, office/productivity apps etc.  In particular does anyone know of a decent app for connecting to a windows machine using RDP?  It's how I remote into work and there are some really odd scaling issues using the microsoft RDP app.  Never had scaling issues connecting from Linux.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    edited July 2021
    Don’t think the Mac book M1 Can handle 2 displays, only Mac mini M1 can do it as it has HDMI out and one of the USBC connectors can be used with an adaptor ..

are you using it for recording?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I quite like Royal TSX for RDP but I've never had issues with the Microsoft RDP app either.

An important app is Rectangle, it let's you use keyboard shortcuts to move and resize Windows, similar to the snap feature you get on Win 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Air and MBP M1s will do their own display plus one other.

There ARE  articles online where people manage to chain display port adapters and get additional unique displays but I'd be loathe to rely on it as future updates may break it (ie it's not supported, not that they'd do so deliberately) 

If you.ise a modern ipad that supports Sidecar then that works as an additional external display.

TBH I've found that the inbuilt display plus a 27" 4knexternal is plenty of space for most things - but everyone's needs are different I spose 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I quite like Royal TSX for RDP but I've never had issues with the Microsoft RDP app either.

An important app is Rectangle, it let's you use keyboard shortcuts to move and resize Windows, similar to the snap feature you get on Win 10.
    I've just tried MS RDP again and the scaling issues I was getting last night are gone.  Odd but if it was just a one off glitch I'm happy using the MS app.

I'll try rectangle.  I'm pretty dependant on the windows snap feature.
    spark240 said:
    Don’t think the Mac book M1 Can handle 2 displays, only Mac mini M1 can do it as it has HDMI out and one of the USBC connectors can be used with an adaptor ..

The displaylink drivers are meant to give support to additional, extended displays but it only works with docks that use the displaylink hardware and they aren't cheap.  Managed to find one for £150 but I've had to get it imported from the states.  Most are over £300.  I'm not hugely bothered if it doesn't work or if a mac update breaks it later down the line but it's a "nice to have".

When I get it properly setup for docking I'll be doing some recording.  Already downloaded the mac version of reaper just because that's what I'm used to on windows.  Happy to look at alternatives. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    I've got a cheap USB-C dongle that I use with my M1 Macbook. Has no problem running a 1440p monitor via HDMI while I also use the internal screen. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Highly recommend Fiplab Copy Clip 2. It lets you have up to 99 items on the clipboard. Amazingly useful little app that lives in the top menu bar.

https://support.fiplab.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002534513-CopyClip-2-User-Guide
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    You can run 2 HD monitors from a Mac pro book check out the link below does everything you want and more.

https://www.brydge.co.uk/products/stone-2?variant=31968776192111

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

JezWynd said:
    Highly recommend Fiplab Copy Clip 2. It lets you have up to 99 items on the clipboard. Amazingly useful little app that lives in the top menu bar.

https://support.fiplab.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002534513-CopyClip-2-User-Guide
    I'm a big fan of Paste for that - works across Mac and your iOS devices 
    Red ones are better. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    RedRabbit said:
    spark240 said:

The displaylink drivers are meant to give support to additional, extended displays but it only works with docks that use the displaylink hardware and they aren't cheap.  Managed to find one for £150 but I've had to get it imported from the states.  Most are over £300.  I'm not hugely bothered if it doesn't work or if a mac update breaks it later down the line but it's a "nice to have".

When I get it properly setup for docking I'll be doing some recording.  Already downloaded the mac version of reaper just because that's what I'm used to on windows.  Happy to look at alternatives. 

I'd avoid display link if you can, I've had nothing but issues with it. 
    RedRabbit said:
    spark240 said:

Just to follow up on this - I've got the displaylink dock up and running and have got 2 1440p displays running in extended mode perfectly off the macbook.  Needed yet another app to allow me to close the lid on the macbook but I've got it working as I want it now.

Also, looks like the issue I was having with the Microsoft RDP app was due to the resolution of the macbook display and some of the software we use at work not knowing how to scale to it properly.  It works fine on the external displays which is where it'll be used 90% of the time so I'm happy.

Now I've got it set up I can think about starting recording on it.  Any suggestions for a DAW?  I had a quick play with garageband which, if I'm honest, would probably suffice for most of what I do but I wouldn't object to something a bit more feature rich.
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:
    spark240 said:

Just to follow up on this - I've got the displaylink dock up and running and have got 2 1440p displays running in extended mode perfectly off the macbook.  Needed yet another app to allow me to close the lid on the macbook but I've got it working as I want it now.

Also, looks like the issue I was having with the Microsoft RDP app was due to the resolution of the macbook display and some of the software we use at work not knowing how to scale to it properly.  It works fine on the external displays which is where it'll be used 90% of the time so I'm happy.

Now I've got it set up I can think about starting recording on it.  Any suggestions for a DAW?  I had a quick play with garageband which, if I'm honest, would probably suffice for most of what I do but I wouldn't object to something a bit more feature rich.
    Logic
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:
    spark240 said:

Logic
    Thought that might be the case.  I'll definitely check it out - the 90 day trail is pretty generous.
    It’s such good value. If you’re on a Mac and you don’t have a specific workflow reason to use something else I think it’s a no brainier.

the drummer tool is ace, the included loops are great (if you need them) and the instruments and patches will do almost anything you’d need. Plus there is a TON of educational and support content out there for it 
    Red ones are better.