I will probably get an AxeIII, but I won't sell my amps (updated)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• I’ve had all the higher end modellers at some point or another. I always ended up using 1 amp (usually a Friedman model) and a few effects. So I never really felt I was using them to their full potential. I never recorded with them, I only ever used them live.

So in the end I switched to amps I could use with reactive loads or IR loaders. The amps I’ve had all sounded and felt much better. I’ve owned the Rev G20, Friedman PT20 and mini Dirty Shirley, both of which were running into a Suhr reactive load.

I’m currently using a Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium and it’s amazing. You don’t need a speaker connected to the unit so I’m running out the line out (with the internal cab sims off) Into a NUX mini studio IR loader. It sounds so much better than any modeller and it’s dead simple to use. It’s instant gratification rather than messing on with endless parameters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I think the question is more psychological than sonic/workflow related.

Are you *ready* to embrace a different way of doing things than a traditional amp, even if it sounds different (easy to interpret as 'not as good', initially).

If you are and you can get past the stage of thinking it doesn't sound as good without wanting to ditch the whole thing and go back to a simple amp, then go for it.

I think I've got to this point. I'm not really interested in amps any more.

Until the next time I try to play live with an all-digital solution, anyway :). (Maybe.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I think the question is more psychological than sonic/workflow related.

Are you *ready* to embrace a different way of doing things than a traditional amp, even if it sounds different (easy to interpret as 'not as good', initially).

If you are and you can get past the stage of thinking it doesn't sound as good without wanting to ditch the whole thing and go back to a simple amp, then go for it.

I think I've got to this point. I'm not really interested in amps any more.

Until the next time I try to play live with an all-digital solution, anyway :). (Maybe.)
    Yeah. I think I'm there. *think*.

Our last rehearsal was QC into the power section of my JVM. I really liked it. Still had the butt-punch I like (oo errr missus!) and it sounded great.

I guess what is drawing me to the AxeIII right now is flexibility and power.

I think I need to flog my Kemper to help fund it. Keep the QC and let it mature. Keep the Helix because it rocks.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I’ve had all the higher end modellers at some point or another. I always ended up using 1 amp (usually a Friedman model) and a few effects. So I never really felt I was using them to their full potential. I never recorded with them, I only ever used them live.

So in the end I switched to amps I could use with reactive loads or IR loaders. The amps I’ve had all sounded and felt much better. I’ve owned the Rev G20, Friedman PT20 and mini Dirty Shirley, both of which were running into a Suhr reactive load.

I’m currently using a Bluguitar Amp1 Iridium and it’s amazing. You don’t need a speaker connected to the unit so I’m running out the line out (with the internal cab sims off) Into a NUX mini studio IR loader. It sounds so much better than any modeller and it’s dead simple to use. It’s instant gratification rather than messing on with endless parameters.
    Do these have enough of that room filling "big amp oomph and presence" thing that a proper 50/100w amp has? Like my 20w amp is loud enough for band but it doesn't punch you in the chest when you chug or fill the room like 100w does. The demos I've heard of that Amp1 do sound awesome.
  • TTBZ said:
    I’ve had all the higher end modellers at some point or another. I always ended up using 1 amp (usually a Friedman model) and a few effects. So I never really felt I was using them to their full potential. I never recorded with them, I only ever used them live.

Do these have enough of that room filling "big amp oomph and presence" thing that a proper 50/100w amp has? Like my 20w amp is loud enough for band but it doesn't punch you in the chest when you chug or fill the room like 100w does. The demos I've heard of that Amp1 do sound awesome.
    I haven’t gigged the amp1 yet so I’m not sure. From the various YouTube clips featuring Thomas Blug he is adamant it’s as loud as valve 100 watt amp with the same punch. But of course he would say that!! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:

I haven’t gigged the amp1 yet so I’m not sure. From the various YouTube clips featuring Thomas Blug he is adamant it’s as loud as valve 100 watt amp with the same punch. But of course he would say that!! 

I had the original one and it was nowhere near as loud as my 40w amp.

The clean broke up quite early.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    kennedydream1980 said:

I tried one and it wasn't even close, and that was in a shop not in a band context - my experience is that with a band is even more unforgiving.

Same with the Yamaha THR100HD - even though that sounded great, it just wasn't even in the same ballpark as a 100W valve amp.

Digital amps are only going to really get taken seriously by guitarists when they stop bullshitting about the equivalent power output. While sheer volume isn't as much of an issue these days, that bottom-end 'boom' and punch that I know Drew loves (and I do, even though I play quite different and much less heavy-sounding music) depends on having a lot of power behind it. Measuring the peak power output of a Class D module and getting a reading of 100W is *not* the same thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    kennedydream1980 said:

I tried one and it wasn't even close, and that was in a shop not in a band context - my experience is that with a band is even more unforgiving.

Same with the Yamaha THR100HD - even though that sounded great, it just wasn't even in the same ballpark as a 100W valve amp.

Digital amps are only going to really get taken seriously by guitarists when they stop bullshitting about the equivalent power output. While sheer volume isn't as much of an issue these days, that bottom-end 'boom' and punch that I know Drew loves (and I do, even though I play quite different and much less heavy-sounding music) depends on having a lot of power behind it. Measuring the peak power output of a Class D module and getting a reading of 100W is *not* the same thing.
    I understand all that. With Thomas Blug being a designer of Valve amps in the past you expect him to be less of a bullshitter when it comes to his claims. However the amp1 is restricted by the fact it does use a class d power amp and I also understand the guy is trying to sell his product.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited July 2021

This is an option I've considered a few times but never tried. I also use a Friedman model for the majority of my presets with scene controllers to adjust the gain across scenes. The ability to tweak those gain levels is probably the feature I'd miss the most, but that could also be achieved with the many drive pedals in the Axe.

After reading this thread I'm now wondering whether a valve amp with a load box and IRs would make a significant difference. As we don't play with a backline I suspect not, but I'm definitely curious to find out
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited July 2021
    Im loving my AFX3.... and thats coming from a 2, and a standard before that.

for ME - I only use cab sims/irs for recording and the larger gigs with full PA.  for anything else I put it through a power amp and cab.

ive been through a lot of power amps... Art SLA2, VHT 2:50:2. Matrix GT800 and GT1000, Fryette Power station and now a Seymore Powerstage.   The Powerstage isnt QUITE as nice as the Fryette BUT I can run the same patch to the amp and FOH (with the cab sim on that feed) which I you cant do and get the best from the fryette) some Power amp properties need changing for that) .

As far as costs, I bought the AFX3 and the FC12 at the same time, and the total additional costs was £399... I think.  that seems low so Ill did the receipts out.

** OK.  Total cost for both AFX3 and FC12 was 2713 Euro which equated to approx £2315.  This was inc shipping and with the reduction for UK customers.  the additional customs, and VAT charges were £479.

This was in April

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I have a custom made Oak ISO cab here that contains 3 x 12 inch drivers, each with their own mic
    Just in case you want a purist approach to using valve amps quietly