Slide guitar setup

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
Hi guys
Bit of advice please.
I've got a ratty old electric  guitar that I want to set up for slide.
Any tips would be welcome, best string gauge, string height etc.
Thanks R
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited July 2021
    If the guitar is set up correctly, you don't need to change anything . Some players do like to raise the action , but it's it actually not needed. if you are going to play a mix of slide and fretting the strings as normal . You might prefer to stick with the gauges you normally use . If you'r playing with the slide only . I suggest you use heavier strings , you get a better tone . I would also match the strings to the tuning you use , G is the most common .     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    On a related note, I also have a guitar that I'm thinking of using purely for slide. I can raise the bridge, but I'm not in a position to do anything to the nut - will lifting the bridge a little, and then sorting the intonation, be sufficient?

Ultimately I want to be able to play slide on any guitar, but I'm a ham-fisted lump and getting a light enough touch to play on my guitars with a normal action is proving to be FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE and very frustrating :-D

Also, will learning to play slide on a guitar with a high action make it more difficult to then transfer to a regular action? Am I better to just suck it up, persevere with my regular guitar and learn to be gentle?
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited July 2021
    You should be able to remove the nut and put a shim under it  ? 
    Having   said that , the correct setup should be OK . But if it is on the low side , that might  make slide playing harder . 
    You might not be holding the slide flat across the strings . If it's lifting up at one side , some strings will buzz and pressing harder will not  fix  it. High action means you will need to press  harder to fret the strings . Some pople have strong  fingers  , but not everybody. If your totally new to slide . Have a look at justinguitar.com . He has a , the slide guitar basics and it's for free.    
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    I'd say try 11s and you only need to raise the bridge, leave the nut as is. 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    get a nut riser for £5 or so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I'm with @more ; - All my guitars have low actions with 009-42 Daddario strings, and I can play slide on any of them  with glass, brass or chrome slides, without needing to adjust anything. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)