Does this look right? Telecaster neck content...

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
Guys, could you have a quick look at this and see what you think? Supposed to be a Fender FSR Tele neck, but now I've received it, it doesn't look quite in the flesh. A serial number search says it's from a 2010 FSR STD TELE MN BTB, but if I google that, there seem to be differences, mainly the fact there's no walnut around the truss rod hole, and the headstock shape doesn't look quite right, though I'm comparing to an Allparts neck here, not a genuine Fender so it may just be my eyes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324720343382
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Fake, but gone
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Has a 2010 serial number;  I didn't think Fender started using Pau Ferro until later - no ?
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Fake, but gone
    For my info/ ref, what things are you looking at to say it's fake?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    markslade07 said:

The crude and unlined truss rod access hole - it would have a black plastic sleeve on most MIM, and walnut on most USA models - and the shaping of the back of the head where it joins the neck are the really obvious ones - that hard ridge is characteristic of Chinese ones. It also has the wrong machineheads for a FSR. This is what it should look like -

The serial number will have been copied from a genuine one, which is why they're worse than useless for authenticating stuff...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    markslade07 said:

The crude and unlined truss rod access hole - it would have a black plastic sleeve on most MIM, and walnut on most USA models - and the shaping of the back of the head where it joins the neck are the really obvious ones - that hard ridge is characteristic of Chinese ones. It also has the wrong machineheads for a FSR. This is what it should look like -

The serial number will have been copied from a genuine one, which is why they're worse than useless for authenticating stuff...
    Brill….cheers @ICBM ;
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Plus the headstock shape is completely wrong - underside is not curved enough from the nut and the end nodule has nothing on the underside at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That headstock shape is so weirdly out. 
    That headstock shape is so weirdly out. 
    Yes, although you sometimes have to be a bit careful because photo distortion can do odd things. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Is the decal metallic? It looks brown to me. 

As others have said, headstock shape, truss rod access, that fretboard wood I've only seen on cheap Chinese necks,...

The rear decal looks very convincing though!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Never seen the FSR logo on the heel either. They’re always on the back of the headstock.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    One look is all it takes , headstock shape is wrong 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    The nut looks at quite an angle in the last photo as well.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Wow, a dolphin nose fake tele neck
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Send it back it's a fake.
    edited July 2021
    It’s going back. I got carried away trying to get this build sorted to my taste and didn’t look closely enough. My own stupid fault, it’s been a very looooong week with one thing or another. Seller has been cool so far so fingers crossed. WTB ad is now in the £Parts section! 

Off to go and double facepalm* myself before bed

*not a euphemism 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    What's FSR?
    Poboy said:
    What's FSR?
    Fender Special Run
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It’s going back.
    Technically, you shouldn't return it - you should get a refund via Ebay and they will tell you to destroy it.

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    This (ebay) guy's only around the corner from me - send me the neck and I'll go pummel the prick with it. 
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    after you've got your refund obviously