Line 6 M series footswitch mod/repair

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
As much as I love my M9, the footswitches are shite and four of mine have started to fail. 
I remember seeing a mod where someone replaced the tactile switch and plunger arrangement with a proper momentary switch. 

Just wondering if anyone has tried it or had any experience with repairing the existing switches. 

From what I remember, the tactile switches are through plated so I’m happy enough to attack it with a soldering iron. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @impmann would be the most recent person on here to do it I think. He fixed a DL4
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5135

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    edited July 2021
    I did indeed mod my DL4 with these switches above. 100% improvement, imho. I bought them direct from Lehle.

Details here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/207531/lehle-switches-in-a-dl4#latest

I'm not 100% sure this would work in the M9 as there is a different actuator/plunger fitted to these - plus the LED/lightpipe that sits above it are part of the switch housing and may not physically have any space.

However, from an electronic perspective the switches are exactly the same (in fact, IIRC the switches had the same part number when I worked at Line6) and so if the Lehle switch could be physically mounted in the unit, there isn't any real reason why it shouldn't work.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Thanks for that. 
    I’ve had it apart this morning and immediately found that a ribbon cable had worked loose that connects the bottom row of switches to the main pcb. That fixed the three fx switches but the tap tempo is still temperamental. 

See what you mean re whether they’ll fit. I think I’ll have to look at fixing what I have for now as gigs are looming. I’ll report back soon!
  • Ordered some replacement tactile switches for now, the top row seem fine but all of the bottom row are iffy which might suggest another problem (ribbon connector joints?).
    Annoyingly, I go on holiday tomorrow until next saturday, band practice the day after then I'm away for a week with work. Get back on Friday 13th and have a gig that night!