Fractal FM3 - thoughts?

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
I just wondered what current and past users thought of the unit?

I've tried a few modellers and thought the Kemper was ok but I've never owned one and from the demos, I've liked quite a few of the FM3 presets out of the box and depending how they'd sit in a band mix and feel under fingers, I'd consider them, certainly as starting points.

My amplification options would be a Fender 65 DRRI (valve) or 2 powered PA speakers, although via a friend, I may have access to some Redsound cabs.

I'm aware of 2 'possible' limitations with the unit - the possible need for one of the additional FC switchers if the versatile 3 switches are too much of a faff and that most of the editing and tweaks needs to be done using a PC/laptop and so I wouldn't mind knowing more about those 2. However it's more about the sounds:-
How do they stand up for live?
How are you using yours? Modeller straight to PA or FRFR or using an amp (Valve or SS)?

I've spoken to @welshboyo ;about some of this as we have similar tone-likes and I'd like to know what others think, too,  

Finally, as a feeler, is anyone looking to move one on?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Calling @JohnCordy ;
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2021
    Yep, John C's videos have been useful, as have those by Leon Todd
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    The FM3 remains the best modeller Ive used. The FX are superb, as is the amp modelling. The looper remains my favourite ever, and Id def own one again.

I actually found the 3 button system toward better than when I had a FC6. Very inutuive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    I own the big brother of the FM3 (Axe FX3), but I understand the sounds etc are now identical. 

So, on that basis I would HIGHLY recommend it. I’m actually thinking of getting one as a back up rig. 

One other thing to think of if you use RedSounds - I had to scoop a load of stuff out at around 1400kHz, as it was VERY harsh.
    FarleyUK said:
    I own the big brother of the FM3 (Axe FX3), but I understand the sounds etc are now identical. 

So, on that basis I would HIGHLY recommend it. I’m actually thinking of getting one as a back up rig. 

One other thing to think of if you use RedSounds - I had to scoop a load of stuff out at around 1400kHz, as it was VERY harsh.
    I can have access to Redsounds as my friend is the UK Distributor. That's interesting as I'd heard them with a Kemper and Helix and thought they were very good but good to note
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Kebabkid said:
    FarleyUK said:

I can have access to Redsounds as my friend is the UK Distributor. That's interesting as I'd heard them with a Kemper and Helix and thought they were very good but good to note
    I used to have a Kemper, and the RG-LS12s sounded awesome with it - but they sounded absolute crap with the AFX3 (I posted a thread on here about it).

Won't be using them tonight, as going direct to FoH - but be wary of that, especially at gig volumes.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    I think there's no hard and fast rules with modellers, it seems what works for one person doesn't always for another. I have an AxeFX3 with an FC12 and previously had the AX8 but have only ever found a few presets that worked for me. Similarly I found my Redsound great from the off, but followed @FarleyUK's threads and know his experience was different. 

In terms of the sounds and live use in a band context I'd highly recommend the current Fractal gear. I've been using it for a good few years now and whilst there's a definite learning curve I'm really happy with my sound. I go straight to the mixer and PA and keep my "rigs" fairly simple. I only use a few amp models and a few IRs and I think the latter is the key.

Over the years I've built and honed a core preset that's levelled and contains everything from clean to lead with every effect you could think of at my disposal, plus controls for amp and level boosts and cuts etc. It sounds complex but really isn't if a luddite like me can use it. I can get through the majority of our set with that one preset, but have some song specific ones where I take that core preset and alter various settings, remove effects etc. I've got it down to a pretty quick process now and can do it on the fly at rehearsal.

I think if you're expecting to get an FM3, take it to rehearsal and start playing with one of the stock presets then you could be in for a disappointment as these things almost always require some tweaking.

What works at home and what works at gig volumes in a band context are also 2 different things so that's something to consider. 

If/when they release a larger and more powerful version of the FM3 then I'll almost definitely switch to that for added convenience of one less thing to transport from the car, but otherwise I'm totally happy with it. The constant updates and additions are a nice touch too. I'm particularly enjoying the recent addition of the Carbon Copy delay pedal which I'd never got round to buying in the real world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10180
    FM3 is the best floor modeller I’ve used. Add a two button foot switch like the Otter Duo and you’ve got 5. It’s amazing. Get one. 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1724
    I've had mine in and running at home for a fortnight or so - I'm blown away - its seriously satisfying to play. 

I'm interested in the live options as well - I know that I'll potentially need to tweak the patches, or create live versions of the patches to sound as good as they can with going to PA or into an amp of some kind.

A couple of guys I know have been using FXIII with various FRFR units, and both have ended up going to Fryette LXII and a couple of 1x12s for their live set up. One of the guys has just bought an FS6 as at present he has no floor controls apart from the expression pedal.

If I go out for play, I'd be likely to be out to FOH or combo - so not sure what to expect - so I'm definitely watching this thread.

Its a bloody wonderful unit, and set up with decent monitors - its fabulous!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Anyone know what the modelling would sound like through a valve amp - with my DRRI, I don't have drive and so would like the benefit of the other amps and OD pedals, not just the other FX (delays, chorus etc) or am I missing the point i.e. FRFR is King?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Anyone know what the modelling would sound like through a valve amp - with my DRRI, I don't have drive and so would like the benefit of the other amps and OD pedals, not just the other FX (delays, chorus etc) or am I missing the point i.e. FRFR is King?
    I'd say that your not likely to like the results but I dare say with tweaking you may get somewhere.

With the preset that you create, you'd need to turn off Amp modelling and remove the Speaker IR as a start i.e. just use FM3 as a multi fx unit rather than modelling plus fx.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    FRFR is for monitoring. When I started I went through the power amp stage of a 2x12 combo. Once I’d got the hang of amp and speaker modelling I replaced the combo with a powered PA speaker, and ultimately with a Matrix Q12.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I don’t use FRFR. I use mine with a power amp and cab and will use the PA if I have to, but it’s more for the audience. Only if the gig is big enough, and that’s rare. 

I think we’re going in ears though so I guess I will be doing this more soon. 

But overall to me, power amp and cab is best. 
    edited August 2021
    That's interesting @TeleMaster as I have a great Mesa Mini Recto Slanted Cab sitting about that I'm trying to sell but that would be great as it's light, great-sounding but projects so well.

Power amps are a minefield but I hear good things about the Seymour Duncan ones - thanks.
    Edit: I don't think I can use my DRRI for the power amp as it doesn't have an fx loop and using a modeller into it and wanting the amps and OD pedals means it won't sound great but for purely effects, it would be fine with OD coming from my other pedals. 

As I prefer to integrate the FM3 with my pedalboard and make full use of it or have it as another option or back-up, I'll need to rethink things as it sounds like I'll need another or different rig = more money

I do like the simplicity of a power, the FM3 and going into my Mesa Cab but my DRRI is brand new and lovely would need to be sold to fund all of this.
    @Kebabkid I use the Powerstage 200. I had the FM3/FC6 setup for a while before I got the Axe 3 and it sounds just like a real amp with the SD and a nice cab. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    We always go through our own, or a hired PA so I've never properly experimented with using an amp and cab, although I know many swear by it.

As ultimately the audience hears what's coming through the PA I've always dialed in my presets to sound their best through that. The output EQ is a great tool for tweaking your sound depending on the venue/PA you're going through.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    Hi Cos,

You know what I think about the FM3 - it’s a wonderful bit of gear and I run it in a few different formats depending on what’s going on.

Currently, I’m running it in 4CM into the Friedman (and the Boogie before that) and it does everything that I need it to and more - my ropey vids hopefully showed you that! - amp sims off so it’s essentially a posh pedalboard!! IMO, in this format you have to run these in 4CM to get the best out of them, any use of amp FX returns or running everything front end to me is never going to sound quite right - you’ll be OK with clean sounds but as soon as the OD stuff comes into play then you have to run 4CM to retain clarity - knowing the sounds you like, 4CM is the only way forward.

Then there’s the Power Amp solution - I’m running the FM3 into an SD170 and onto a pair of Bogner Cubes. Again, would happily sell everything else and just use this setup, the amp sims are so good and with minimal tweaking you can get so close to the real thing it’s scary-  would love to have a pair of SD’s and do a mini stereo rig (and have the option of WDW with the Friedman!!) but the stereo-ness would get lost on a stage so is bit of a waste of money - again IMO.

Direct - use it like this too for the no backline gigs and much like the Power Amp setup it just delivers in spades - IEM then becomes your friend!!

As I came from the AX8 and the Helix before that I could never ever cope with just 3 buttons (no matter how versatile they are) - in the heat of a gig I just want a bunch of clearly labelled buttons in front of me that I push to change something - can’t be doing with holds and the like really (even though I do have holds setup for different channel settings within an effect type) - so that’s why to me the FC6 is essential for live stuff, for home recording etc then the 3 would be totally sufficient (and I actually coped OK with it while waiting for the FC6 to arrive) - I run a bastardised version of the OMG9 with pages for Scenes, Effects and Presets and then using the Per Preset functions for buttons and labels etc - I’ll try and show you on a vid if you want?

Naturally, I recommend you get one, you will not be disappointed but be prepared to run it in proper 4CM with the DRRI (if you can?)or run it separately with an FRFR/Power Amp cab to get it to show its true ability.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @welshboyo and great and helpful response and thanks to everyone who's responded