Line 6 M9 alternative

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1197
Following on from my M9 thread, I'm considering the possibility that it might be beyond repair so it might be time to replace it.

Problem is, I don't know of anything that does what the M9 can in terms of setting it up like a bunch of individual pedals, tap tempo, looper etc that isn't getting into silly money.

Tempted to just buy another M9 but those switches really are shit!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    The HX Effects is a proper step up sound wise, has all the m9 effects and is better built. Not as easy to  'plug and play' as the m9 though, which I definitely understand the appeal of!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Something like an HX Effects would do it, otherwise you could use either an HX Stomp or a BOSS GT-1000 Core, both with external foot switches.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Boss MS3 comes to mind. The initial PR for these seemed to say ' we know our digitally modelled drives are a bit shit but hey ho it has three loops so you can use proper pedals.' 

TC Plethora X5. Most pedalboard like, based on the demos it's not hard to set up and like the M9 it's effects rather than digital amp modelling etc . It has a loop and a looper ( added in a firmware update so if you look at early demos/ reviews it won't have one).   

Depends what you mean by silly money of course. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I would also think about how many sounds you use on the m9.
    You might find when it comes to it you only use 4 sounds.

Another option is that you can buy another m9 used?
    I think I bought my old one for 130 quid. That was a few years back mind.

I don't agree with the hxfx sounding better (and I think the modulation is pretty bad on that too).

There is that zoom pedal that does everything in a single stomp. Ms70???

Budget would be a big factor.
    You could replace with an eventide h9 and a morningstar midi switcher but that might be waaaaay too much

The ms-3 was OK. I seem to recall the drives weren't that bad. It was just a bit fiddly and the gap been switches was pretty apparent. 

Ymmv and all that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12642
    TBH, nothing does quite what the M9 does - others will make similar noises but the GUI is what sold that range to me. Basic WYSIWYG stuff but with some deep functionality.

I'm not convinced by the MS3 - I had one and the menus are fucking terrible. If you get on with Boss unfathomable menus then you'll love it. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Had an offer for an M9 on ebay accepted.
    I like the sound of the TC Plethora and it might be one for the future but for now, getting something that I know how to use straight away, will fit my board without alterations and is nearly half the price won in the end. 

I've got my first gig with a new band on 13th august and I'm pretty much away between now and then so there really isn't time to be getting to grips with new kit - as much I'd prefer something new and shiny!