NUX Fireman - anyone tried it?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
edited July 2021 in FX
Just looking for some real-world opinions on the NUX Fireman which looks like a copy of the Friedman BE-OD Deluxe minus the mid control. YouTube demos make it sound pretty good, there's a comparison where it sounds really close to the Friedman to me. The 18v mode looks like a good addition and in theory it should do the sort of big heavy modded Marshall tones I like - if anything it seems a bit more raw and less refined than the real Friedman pedal which is a good thing imo.

I basically want to try a more pedal-based setup which I can plug into whatever backline amp the rehearsal room provides so I can at least have some kind of consistency and control over my tone. Usually it's a 100w Marshall of some description. I don't want to bring my own amp at the minute as I'm finding 20w sounds too small for heavy stuff and much as I'd love a 50-100w head again, a pedal is much cheaper and lighter!

Edit - I know the obvious answer is to just get an SD1 to boost whatever Marshall head they give us, but occasionally it's a Fender combo and we're not playing blues so I could do with a good high gain MIAB option.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Doesn't answer your question as such, but if you want a pretty heavy, rocky modded jcm800 tone the Duncan Power Grid? Is excellent. It's a mosfet distortion so has quite an ampy feel, but doesn't clean up miraculously well. Still sounds really good, though.

I really liked it, it had something I could not dial out of a vox ac-style preamp but into a Fender or Marshall style it was ace. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited August 2021
    Hadn't looked at that, Duncan pedals always seem quite underrated or fly under the radar a bit. Seems pretty good, the enclosure/graphics are horrible haha. 

I may just go with my original plan of the MXR Super Badass distortion - gets great reviews generally and I've seen them going for as low as £40.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Super badass has such a flexible EQ you can tune it in to just about anything.