Marshall Amp Question

keithfkeithf Frets: 375

Was there ever a jcm800 ,1x12 combo with the speaker centrally mounted in the unit,as apposed to offset like the 4010??

ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    I don't think so - the offset is to avoid the transformers, so they have to be like that. Even the solid-state ones seem to all be offset.

Supposedly a non-symetrically-mounted speaker avoids standing waves inside the cabinet too. It also improves the balance when you're carrying it, if the transformers are at the other end!

The JCM900s went to central speakers, but the transformers are at opposite ends of the chassis on those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• keithfkeithf Frets: 375

I've somehow managed to convince myself they were about when I worked in music retail,that blows the idea of a small box 800,50 w head. :(

keithf said:

I've somehow managed to convince myself they were about when I worked in music retail,that blows the idea of a small box 800,50 w head. :(

They made them as stock - the 2204S, which is a 2204 in the same size box as a 3203 Artist head - but they're *extremely* rare.

Why couldn't you use one with an offset speaker to make a head though? You only need the chassis part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2014

just from the width of the chassis, ,I thought the one I,m on about, was  a small box combo

keithf said:

just from the width of the chassis, ,I thought the one I,m on about, was  a small box combo

You can get a JMP 2204 chassis into a much smaller box - there's a lot of extra width at the ends in the standard head box. Basically that's what the 2204S is. From memory it's the same width as a 4010 combo, or at least very close. (I suspect they may have made them to use up surplus JMP50 chassis.)

In fact it would be tricky to get it much smaller than that without building an amp from scratch - the chassis isn't much wider than the panel cut-out. You'd need to put the knobs and switches closer together.

time to find a scruffy(cheap) one then, :)