Where does auto wah go in pedal chain?

surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135
I am just getting pedals sorted out and was wondering where an auto wah sits in the chain?  I think I'm right to put the boost pedals and fuzz first in line and then delay and trem?  Where would the wah go?  As it stands it's: oc44/fulltone boost/fuzz/delay and trem then to amp.

Thanks!!  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    edited August 2014
    If it's the Boss AW-2 you bought…

Normally you'd want the auto-wah first if you're using it as an envelope filter, so it will track the guitar best - but germanium fuzzes and boosts don't usually like buffers in front of them, and if you're using the pedal more as a true auto-wah it probably wants to go after them. You probably need to experiment and see which works best with the most combinations of other pedals, but if it was me I would try

fuzz>auto-wah>boost(if using it as a clean boost)>delay>trem>boost(if using it to push the amp harder)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    As icbm says auto wah goes early unless it's buffer messes with something else
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135
    ICBM said:
    If it's the Boss AW-2 you bought…

Normally you'd want the auto-wah first if you're using it as an envelope filter, so it will track the guitar best - but germanium fuzzes and boosts don't usually like buffers in front of them, and if you're using the pedal more as a true auto-wah it probably wants to go after them. You probably need to experiment and see which works best with the most combinations of other pedals, but if it was me I would try

fuzz>auto-wah>boost(if using it as a clean boost)>delay>trem>boost(if using it to push the amp harder)
    Thanks @ICBM, really helpful!  Yes, using the auto wah as a pure auto wah rather than an envelope filter.  If it helps for me to explain what the pedals are and how I use them....
    Fuzz is a Langtronics Fuzz Junkie....based on a MK2 tonebender with matched mullard OC76s
    Auto wah is a Boss
    Boosts:
    Fulltone Fat Boost which I'm using more for a touch of drive more than boosting the amp if that makes sense
    Flynn Classic OC44 which I'm using purely as a clean boost as all my amps are old, some very old, and I find that a clean boost is really the best way to go.
    Delay and trem are pretty sraightforward I guess, from what you said I'm guessing it's more important to understand how the auto wah and the boosts are being used?
    To be honest I don't really use the pedals that much although tend to use the Flynn most of the time.  Fulltone is used sparingly and occasionally and fuzz likewise.  Auto wah is being used a lot.
    Given the above would I be right in trying:
    fuzz/auto-wah/Flynn/delay/trem/fulltone?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Yes, that should work. I would also try swapping the Flynn and the Fulltone, if you're using the Fulltone as more of a 'dirty boost' and the Flynn as more of a 'clean boost' - it might give a better range of combinations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 135
    ICBM said:
    Yes, that should work. I would also try swapping the Flynn and the Fulltone, if you're using the Fulltone as more of a 'dirty boost' and the Flynn as more of a 'clean boost' - it might give a better range of combinations.
    Brilliant, I will get onto it and see how that works out......good to know that the fynn and the fulltone could be swapped and I'll try that too!  Very many thanks.