Advice on comfort bass guitar straps

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
Hi all
Incoming Jazz bass with an ash body, and wondering what comfort strap to buy?
Any advice, should this bass 'anchor' me to the carpet with it's mass?
thanks
Jon 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the wide neoprene style straps. They do help in anchoring the funk to the floor.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    I have no idea, since I only use lightweight guitars, but...maybe you should ask the Les Paul owners? ;)
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    edited August 2021
    Neotech Mega bass strap is the answer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233911416722?epid=23011377184&hash=item367634f792:g:Xd4AAOSw-Ghbp-H2

For 6 months.
    Then sell the bass and get a Sandberg TT Super Light.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Jazz basses can vary between surprisingly light and concrete monolith weight... unless you know in advance, don't worry about it yet.

One disadvantage of a light one is that they can be neck-heavy, so you may then need a grippier strap to stop it sliding forwards.

A good wide suede-backed strap like a Levy's stitched/padded one should cover both possibilities.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

If the bass has old style massive plate tuners then swap them for Hipshot Ultra Lites.

Can knock Half a Pound off the weight - and all at the headstock. Much better balance. Aside from basses that come with modern small tuners, all my basses get them. Worth every penny.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    JonHosker said:
    Incoming Jazz bass with an ash body 
    ICBM said:
    Jazz basses can vary between surprisingly light and concrete monolith weight.
    The Fender AVRI '75 and some of the Marcus Miller signature models are historically accurate boat anchors. 

I have a 1978/79 Fender P Bass that is weighty but bearable for an entire gig on a Fender "monogram" fabric strap.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    In the end I decided to go for a s/hand Sandburg J bass. 8 ish lbs…incoming and excited. Think my standard guitar straps with 
    Be fine now. Ta for the advice.
    jon
    I love Sandberg basses.
    My Superlight is amazing. 6.5lb.
  • https://leathergraft.co.uk/ - I use the 4" Softy on all my guitars and basses. 
  • I also second the Neotech Mega suggestion.

I now find "normal" guitar straps really uncomfortable. Wide, neoprene straps are where it's at.