New Incoming Guitar Day. Squier CV Mustang. Handy Mods?

What's Hot
Hi all. a CV Mustang on the way in the next few weeks. I had been thinking about possible mods before I even get it. They seem to get decent enough review stock, but the bridge and trem does seem to give trouble. Half thinking of locking the bridge, or getting a hardtail conversion plate (but that require a little bit of a rout).
Also thinking of a hot rails type pickup in the bridge. Any recommendations of what could compliment it in the neck? I will play with stock pickups for a while, but I will look at something "hotter" or more onto a single coil size HB. e.g. some Lace Sensors might be a good option.
Nut is bone from what I have read, and not sure, maybe the wiring is crap, but will look into it too!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Hot Rails bridge position probably best partnered by Cool Rails or neck position HR.

DiMarzio "Track" type pickups may be of more suitable output levels. Also, since their covers are removable, they will look right with the bridge/Treble pickup reverse mounted as it is.

With Lace Sensors, if the neck position is a Gold or Emerald, the bridge could do with being Burgundy, Light Blue or Red.

Consider series/parallel interconnection between single coils.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @Funkfingers thank you! Yep, I'd like to keep all the existing switch options!
    edited August 2021
    All four standard coil permutations … via nine slider switch positions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    Hot Rails bridge position probably best partnered by Cool Rails or neck position HR.

DiMarzio "Track" type pickups may be of more suitable output levels. Also, since their covers are removable, they will look right with the bridge/Treble pickup reverse mounted as it is.

With Lace Sensors, if the neck position is a Gold or Emerald, the bridge could do with being Burgundy, Light Blue or Red.

Consider series/parallel interconnection between single coils.

Interesting, with Seymour Duncans I always go the other way round. I find the hot rails have a very coarse sound to them but in the neck it's smooth it out nicely, and cool rails at the bridge just sounds good.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• Bridge and thimbles worth looking at ?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    This wiring adds series without losing out-of-phase:
    https://i.imgur.com/jpXcJmu.png
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Sesh said:
    This wiring adds series without losing out-of-phase:
    https://i.imgur.com/jpXcJmu.png
    ooo now this looks interesting 
  • And if I were to just upgrade the stock single coils with other single coils, any recommendations? A lot of options I suppose...
    What do you dislike about the stock single coil pickups?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I'd try a Dimarzio Injector for a hot bridge
  • What do you dislike about the stock single coil pickups?
    Nothing yet. I just assumed these were the “quick wins” with the cheaper guitars 
    You might get away with keeping the neck position pickup and choosing a more powerful li'l 'bucker for the bridge position.

Much depends on how fussed you are about RF interference and hum. 

In the Eighties, Adrian Belew's heavily modified Mustangs had stacked coils pickups. His Custom Shop Stratocasters (Bowie 1990 tour) had Lace Sensors.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    What do you dislike about the stock single coil pickups?
    Nothing yet. I just assumed these were the “quick wins” with the cheaper guitars 

CVs used to have Toneriders in them. Don't assume that will be the weak link
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited November 2021
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    edited November 2021
    That looks great. If you want to stop the bridge rocking you could have a look at this.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/215473/thimble-sleeves-for-fender-offset-bridges#latest
    You may have sorted it out already.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • @freakboy1610 yep, the bridge is fairly solid. (I didn't set this up at all, a luthier did)

edited November 2021
    CVs used to have Toneriders in them. Don't assume that will be the weak link
    I had assumed that the OP's CV Mustang would have pickups similar to the ones from the same factory as Tonerider. Instead, as is apparent from the photograph, the guitar has Duncan Designed pickups - like the VM series version.

The neck position pickup is a DuncDes SC101N - like a flush poles vintage Strat  except the magnet rods are set flush with the upper bobbin plate to allow the cover to fit.

The bridge position pickup is hugely overwound to something like 11 or 12k. 

Critically, for replacement purposes, the bridge pickup cavity is routed "backwards", obliging any pickup with the traditional lower bobbin plate to be installed with the output conductors facing towards the neck. If the replacement pickup has a polepiece "stagger" pattern, this will be reversed. Unless the pickup has a removable cover, any printed or embossed logo will be in the wrong place.
  • @Funkfingers I think I will leave the stock pickups for now, but might experiment with the series/parallel connection you mentioned in previous posts. Just need to find some kind of diagram to give to the luthier!. I am guessing the diagrams posted above are the ones to use?
    Yes. The diagram posted by Sesh will work. 

You can find other suggestions in Premier Guitar Mod Garage. 

My preference is to leave the slider switches operating as centre off. (They are actually on/on/on. It is the jumper connections that create the off position.) This means no work to be done on the switch for the neck pickup.  :)
  • @Funkfingers thanks!