Bogner Shiva into a single V30 1x12 cab?

RandomGeckoRandomGecko Frets: 324
edited August 2014 in Amps
So I picked up a Suhr Badger 1x12 cab with a V30 in it. I gigged my Shiva through it last night and whilst it didn't sound as big as my OS2x12, I didn't exactly miss the 2x12. I definitely didn't miss the weight and size! The Suhr cab sounds amazing.

However, is this a terrible idea? There seems to be conflicting ideas on this. FWIW, I never really get the Shiva past 2 o'clock on the channel volumes and 9 o'clock on the master.

I was looking around and the Engl Sovereign 100w combo uses a single V30...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Depends if you're cranking it.

The volume settings mean next to nothing, but I can't image you are if the master is only at 9 o'clock. Do you still have a completely clean sound on the clean channel at the volume you're playing? If so - as long as the dirty sound is the same sort of volume, rather than much louder - it will be safe.

A 100W amp into a V30 is pushing your luck though. That is capable of blowing the speaker even without the amp fully cranked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yes, completely clean on the clean channel. Lots more headroom too. Dirty channel is a similar volume yeh, maybe marginally louder. I run a Spark Mini Booster in my FX loop for solo boosts but isn't it more a power thing rather than a volume thing I should be worried about?

I'm sure the 30W Suhr Badger the cab was designed for can also get blazingly loud?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    If your clean channel is clean with headroom to spare, you're not running the amp anywhere near full up. A V30 will take a cranked 60W amp, so you're unlikely to be pushing it even with a boosted solo sound.

Yes, it is about power, not volume - so the Suhr Badger can't push it too hard no matter how 'loud' it is. You just have to be careful with running a powerful amp into an under-rated speaker because the power rises very much faster than the perceived volume when you crank the amp up, especially if you reach power-state distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein