New Fractal FM9 floor unit - looks good!

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    octatonic said:
    CFH said:
    octatonic said:
    Going to be interesting to see the FM3 prices crater over the next few weeks.
    I'd be extremely wary fo paying more than £600-700 for one, because I reckon that is what they are going to be worth really soon.

Here is the FM3+FC6 vs FM9 in terms of size.

Hmmm, i think you are miles out on your pricing there… £600 - £700 ?!?!

I personally cant see that much of a drop happening for some years.
    I agree. The FM3 and FM9 are in different price brackets and the second hand prices will stay roughly the same. The FM3 isn't replaced by the FM9 - they are aimed at different user needs.

I have an FM3 and whilst the extra processing power of the FM9 is attractive I think I'll stick with the FM3 because I use it on a desk as a studio device really. The FM9 wouldn't work for me as well for that. I like the compact form factor of the FM3 and haven't encountered any limitations with the hardware or processing power. 
    I am afraid I disagree.
    Yeah but do you agree to disagree??
    I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some useful info:

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Hoping this causes FM3 prices to plummet. 3 switches would be enough for me (can it take a standard external 2 button like a HX Stomp just in case?) and I like the form factor. Probably worth holding out on a HX Stomp purchase for a while!
  • I doubt the prices will plummet to be honest. Fractal gear holds it's value quite well.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10180
    They won’t drop hugely. They’re all still in warranty which transfers with the unit too. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    The FM3 is about a grand used but you need to spend an extra £600 to get the same number of buttons as the FM9.

When a large proportion of people complain about the FM3 having too few buttons (and taking up more room with the FC6, than the FM9 will) why would they pay *roughly the same* as the cost of the FM9?

I reckon the FM3 + FC6 combo has to be £500 cheaper at least to make anyone go for it.
    It will still have half the power of the FM9 too, remember.

I still reckon £650-700 is about right, but perhaps yes not immediately.
    How long it takes to get there is what I think can be argued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    octatonic said:
    The FM3 is about a grand used but you need to spend an extra £600 to get the same number of buttons as the FM9.

When a large proportion of people complain about the FM3 having too few buttons (and taking up more room with the FC6, than the FM9 will) why would they pay *roughly the same* as the cost of the FM9?

I reckon the FM3 + FC6 combo has to be £500 cheaper at least to make anyone go for it.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

People who used FM3 but found the footswitches limiting and therefore bought the FM6 to accompany it will inevitably buy FM9 in the future. 

However I think there are plenty, like me, who want access to Fractal sounds but who don't need all the footswitches. Probably bedroom players who let's face it account for a lot of us. For those players I think the FM3 will be a really attractive option as a standalone unit at a much lower price point than the FM9.

If anything the FM6 will be less popular - I imagine only for AFXiii users. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yea. 
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.
    edited August 2021

CFH said:
    octatonic said:

People who used FM3 but found the footswitches limiting and therefore bought the FM6 to accompany it will inevitably buy FM9 in the future. 
    Do you mean FC6?

Do you own the FM3 then?

I am sure there are going to be loads of FM3 owners who will not want their investment to suddenly drop in value.
    I wouldn't if I owned one.

CFH said:

However I think there are plenty, like me, who want access to Fractal sounds but who don't need all the footswitches. Probably bedroom players who let's face it account for a lot of us. For those players I think the FM3 will be a really attractive option as a standalone unit at a much lower price point than the FM9.

Yes, and it will be even more attractive when loads of them end up on the used market because those people who bought the FM3 dump it for the FM9, causing the price to drop. 
    That is my point.

It may also kill the sales of new FM3's when a bunch of FM3's with warranties turn up on the used market.
    Two were posted here in the last 24 hours, I think. 
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    octatonic said:

CFH said:
    octatonic said:

If anything the FM6 will be less popular - I imagine only for AFXiii users. 
    Do you mean FC6?

Do you own the FM3 then?
    Ah sorry, yes I do mean the FC6.

I do indeed. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.
    That makes my wish list easier then.

cross it off.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.

cross it off.
    The FM3 andFM9 are also fan cooled. I suspect all the high powered modellers will be.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited August 2021
    mrkb said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.

cross it off.
    The FM3 andFM9 are also fan cooled. I suspect all the high powered modellers will be.
    Not the QC. Or the Kemper. Or the Stage. Oh and neither is the Helix. lol
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    mrkb said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.

cross it off.
    I said high powered ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    Yep.

cross it off.
    I said high powered ;)
    Lol. QC not got enough for you?
  • John_A said:
    Think I need to pay @roland a visit and have a play with the axe iii 
    or me.  same location pretty much (as Im the keys player in his band lol).   Just come see us lol.  
  • octatonic said:
    CFH said:
    octatonic said:
    Going to be interesting to see the FM3 prices crater over the next few weeks.
    I'd be extremely wary fo paying more than £600-700 for one, because I reckon that is what they are going to be worth really soon.

Here is the FM3+FC6 vs FM9 in terms of size.

Hmmm, i think you are miles out on your pricing there… £600 - £700 ?!?!

I personally cant see that much of a drop happening for some years.
    I agree. The FM3 and FM9 are in different price brackets and the second hand prices will stay roughly the same. The FM3 isn't replaced by the FM9 - they are aimed at different user needs.

I have an FM3 and whilst the extra processing power of the FM9 is attractive I think I'll stick with the FM3 because I use it on a desk as a studio device really. The FM9 wouldn't work for me as well for that. I like the compact form factor of the FM3 and haven't encountered any limitations with the hardware or processing power. 
    I am afraid I disagree.
    I think 50-75% of the people who bought the FM3 wanted something like the FM9.
    This is because they have said so on various forums and Facebook groups since it came out.

I predict a large number of people will unload the FM3 onto the used market over the coming months- it depends on supply of the FM9 of course.
    There will be some people who stick with the FM3 of course, because they can't afford to move up or for other reasons.
    I'll adjust what I said earlier- it might not be that the prices immediately crater but I think they will in the medium term for the reasons I've just stated.
    If EU supply of FM9's is really slow then it might take a bit longer.
    100% with you.

I went with the AFX3/FC12 over the FM3 primarily for the button count.  Had the FM9 been available/announced at the time I may have waited and just for the FM9.

There will be some who keep the FM3 for the footprint, but the FM9 is a more cost effective floor based AFX3/FC12 rig, which is where the vast majority of user needs will fall.  

• octatonic said:
    Some useful info:

Is the Axe3 fan cooled?
    All the rack based units (standard, ultra, 2 and now 3) are fan cooled,