Furniture: *basic* multi-purpose desk recommendations (budget, not pro!)?

Getting to the stage where I need to finalise the design for the garden room/home studio/home office space.

As part of which, I'm trying to sort out floor layouts to work out exactly where to have the door, which means I kind of need rough dimensions of the main lumps of "stuff" that will be going in there.

To which end: studio desks - what do people recommend for basic home desks that also need to double as a computer workspace?

Things I'll need:
  • good height to the lowest shelf: I'm 6'4", 34" inside leg and for work have to sit at screens for a long time - I do not want my knees hitting the keyboard shelf all the frigging time
  • to primarily accommodate:
     - laptop dock (brick style)
     - laptop (closed)
     - keyboard + mouse
     - dual 24" screens, but these will be on a clamped monitor arm so minimal surface real estate required
     - midi-controller/keyboard (Nektar LX49+ - four octave jobbie) ideally on a slide-away shelf as only used occasionally
     - pair of (audio) desk monitors - currently some little Mackies but they might get replaced in due course
     - currently no rack gear. Possibly will end up with a rack-based mixed/patch bay but can't see me needing more than 2 or 3u tops ever
  • ideally additional clear surface for secondary laptops etc. (if setting kit up for work) although I'll probably get a separate unit for that
  • comfortable to work at for a full working day++ for when I'm doing "real work" from home and then want to tart about with audio in the evening
  • Not to spend thousands of pounds
Things I don't need:
  • lots of rack storage
  • pro-audio cable management that expects to have to hide loads of XLRs - at most I'll be running a USB feed to the laptop from currently a Zoom H6 and potentially in the future a smaller mixer or something like a Behringer XR18 (overkill, but looks handy)
I know people in here have been through this all the way from the home-rolled amateur to super-pro level, and I'm as interested in recommendations of brands/items to avoid as ones to explore.

Thanks, o wise ones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom