Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People love Mr Brightside

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
I'm at a local festival been listening to a Killers tribute act for nearly an hour. About three people showing any obvious interest. Then they start up Mr Brightside, wow - people running toward them, must be 60 people from nowhere.  
I just really badly need a wee when MrsTheWeary gets back from the car so it doesn't include me but feckin heck that song gets a reaction. 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    It's a great song. Guitar players in bands never appreciate great songs.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never quite got it, it's not even the best Killers song, it's not even the best song on that album! IMO, YMMV etc etc
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    I think what I find weird is the number of people who are only interested in very specific songs.

The second most popular Killers or Kings of Leon song gets zero reaction.

Case in point. Spotify suggests Use Somebody has 500M streams on Spotify and SoF 700M so its more popular but not massively so. My band tried doing Use Somebody and the reaction was completely meh even though I think our version was much better than the version of SoF we did.

Same story with Brightside and when We Were Young.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

The guitarist is a chubby, middle aged guy with a beard so he's probably on here! 
    If he is - very good set. Quite possibly just play Mr Brightside for an hour next time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    It’s a song we always played in my last band. It always got a great reaction, it’s great watching music do that to people 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    That intro is a bit of a nightmare. You can often hear the guitarist "Mr Brightside chord check" about 5 seconds before a cover band starts the song. It's a bit of an arse to get your fingers around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    It's become a staple because it's a great song. But every band playing the same set is boring as fuck but that's the way the world works.
    When You Were Young is far better.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    All of the best songs in the world are not even on the albums of the bands that didn’t make it. 

Or, the popular masses have better taste and understanding of good than we do
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
     My band tried doing Use Somebody and the reaction was completely meh even though I think our version was much better than the version of SoF we did.
    One of my bands played ‘Use Somebody’ at a gig a week ago and it got a great reaction.  It seems that there are certain songs that, despite the fact that just about every band out there is covering them, always seem to go down well.

I look at the set list as being the menu.  The simple fact is that, around the pubs and clubs, people don’t want Michelin star cuisine, they want burgers and pizza.  We just try to make it steak burger and wood fired pizza.

At closing time they just want a greasy kebab - that’s when we let them have ‘Sweet Caroline’.  We seem to be getting a lot of bookings.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    I can confirm that pub gig goers bloody love Mr Brightside and Sweet Child of Mine and 500 miles and DontlookbackinAnger and Teenage Dirtbag.
    And I never get tired of playing them because I bloody love watching the whole place go mental. It’s such a buzz. 
    Never understood the vast numbers of threads on here saying ‘I hate playing <song> cos everyone wants us to play it’.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    sev112 said:
    All of the best songs in the world are not even on the albums of the bands that didn’t make it. 

The masses dont even know who Tom Waits or Nick Cave are, fuck em.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    I’ve just come back from Carfest South. There have been some great bands and musicians playing. Nile Rodgers’ band was absolute world class, but by far the biggest crowd reaction was to a DJ set by Faithless…. Basically some women playing dance CDs with two male dancers jumping around. Musical fast food….
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3597
    edited August 2021
    Yep.. Mr B is total crowd catnip,,. Played it last night and it filled the floor.. then had them all up and singing along to Use Somebody.  

Dakota and Pride (in the name of love) get similar OTT reactions.  But so does old Blondie and Pretenders, so you can gently ‘educate’ them.

Got another gig today.. will all be on the list.  McMusic...    we are booked for months out now.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Mr Brightside is a great song, pure and simple. It has a certain something that appeals to the masses and that is the hallmark of a good pop song. 
    As a guitarist the riff is easy enough but the inversion of that riff played over the G down the low end of the neck is about as stretchy as anything you will play in a mainstream cover. 

It's funny though, when I started out giging in pubs at 16 we didn't want to play all the old fogey music like All right now and Born to be wild but Brightside is actually an older song now than those were back then. Scary really ! 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    That intro is a bit of a nightmare. You can often hear the guitarist "Mr Brightside chord check" about 5 seconds before a cover band starts the song. It's a bit of an arse to get your fingers around.
    I refer to that chord as my "arthritic claw".  Hated playing it and really struggled to do it standing up.  Get past that bit and it's all good. 

I've stopped trying to second-guess what the audience will latch onto now. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Danny1969 said:
    It's funny though, when I started out giging in pubs at 16 we didn't want to play all the old fogey music like All right now and Born to be wild but Brightside is actually an older song now than those were back then. Scary really ! 
    It's quite alarming if I look at the release dates for all of the songs in our set list and take the average.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    sev112 said:

The masses dont even know who Tom Waits or Nick Cave are, fuck em.

I was gigging, I was playing
    "Mr Brightside!" was rising up from the crowd
    I got a feeling I just can’t shake
    I got a feeling that just won’t go away
    You’ve gotta just keep on pushing
    Push the crowd away
    And if your friends think that you play the main riff different
    And if they think that you should do it the same
    Push the crowd away
    And if you feel you played everything you care for
    If you gave everything and you don’t want no more
    Push the crowd away
    And some people say it’s just rock and roll
    Oh but the Killers get right on your tits
    Push the crowd away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • people love somebody told me, its a bit synthy, but in a decent 2 guitar band it can be done well.

Problem with When we were young and Use Somebody is theyre a bit down tempo compared to the bigger hits IMO people respond to tempo and a strong 4/4 beat no matter what
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    people love somebody told me, its a bit synthy, but in a decent 2 guitar band it can be done well.

Problem with When we were young and Use Somebody is theyre a bit down tempo compared to the bigger hits IMO people respond to tempo and a strong 4/4 beat no matter what
    I suspect When You Were Young also really loses something if your frontman/woman is not absolutely spectacular. Half of the Killers' best stuff only works so well because Flowers is so damn good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Musicwolf said:
    Danny1969 said:
    It's quite alarming if I look at the release dates for all of the songs in our set list and take the average.

I was asked a few years back by a forty year old what type of music the coverband I was in played , I described it and named some tracks and said
     “ you know,the usual Dad rock stuff” ,
     “ fucking more like Grandad rock ,!” Came the reply .