Re-shaping a Strat into a Tele headstock...

What's Hot
I have a nice Allparts unfinished Strat neck that I really like the feel of - but I'd like to fit it to a Tele body.

Would you experts advise me please if you might be so gracious as to re-fashion the headstock into a Telecaster outline please?

And what would be the cost involved?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    21 frets or 22? This will be significant at the neck pocket end for several reasons.

Personally, I'd leave the headstock as is.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Cooler not to!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    You can do it, I have,  but I think it will be a compromise, as I seem to remember the Tele shape doesn't quite fit the Strat headstock footprint….don’t forget that the shape of the heel on each neck is different too, but you can also square off the end of the Strat heel to fit the Tele neck pocket with no effect on intonation, there is enough adjustment on the bridge saddles to compensate
    Cost! Who knows?, not much as its pretty easy to do and your neck is unfinished, so there is none to damage in the process
    You can find headstock templates online that you can print off, cut it out stick it to the headstock you want to mod with pritt stick after lining up the tuner holes, cut the waste away and sand to shape, pretty easy….
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    paulnb57 said:

don’t forget that the shape of the heel on each neck is different too, but you can also square off the end of the Strat heel to fit the Tele neck pocket with no effect on intonation, there is enough adjustment on the bridge saddles to compensate
    You don't square off the end of the Strat neck - the overall length is the same, it's just that the Strat is rounded and leaves gaps at the corners, but a custom pickguard will cover them. (Or if it's a 22-fret overhang neck, no problem at all.) It's the other way round which is a problem, Tele neck on Strat body - that doesn't fit properly without modifying either the neck or the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 888
    22 frets - so neck pocket will be covered.

But I think I'd like it to look like a tele headstock :-)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9125
    I’ve done this. As several people have said, you have to compromise the outline slightly. The problem with doing it yourself is keeping the new edge at right angles to the top, which can be difficult to do with hand tools. I used a scroll saw and a bobbin sander, and it took 20 minutes cutting and sanding, plus re-finishing. That was easy for me because it was oil finish. Polyurethane wouldn’t be too difficult to match yourself. Nitro needs someone with the right equipment. So the answer to “how much” depends a lot on the finish you need. Personally I’d leave it as it is.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8887
    tFB Trader
    I’d sell the neck and buy a tele allparts one instead tbh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom