RIP Lee 'Scratch' Perry

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18669
edited August 2021 in Tributes
Legendary producer & dub reggae music maker.
Aged 85, so a fair innings & a massive back catalogue of great music to remember him by.
RIP Upsetter.
Edited for age accuracy & to agree that he was a barking mad genius  ;)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Loved him. Bonkers and brilliant in equal measure. 
    I've seen him live several times and he never failed to amaze. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    If he made 85 that's probably a good advertisement for the health benefits of marijuana. 
    Legend of the genre. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Collaborated with John Martyn on his classic ‘One World’ album. JM described him as ‘mad as a snake’. 

He outlived JM by 25 years - so he clearly got something right. RIP.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Yesterday I was in the garden listening to Heart of the Congos for the millionth time, noticing the production as always and how it's every bit a part of the songs themselves.  That album is just so good.  My favourite album ever probably cos I can't think of anything else I've been listening to for, oh gawd 44 years, and still really enjoy. 
    I listened to a lot of his stuff on the back of that album and some of it is a bit sketchy for my ears but that album redeems all and it's kind of the soundtrack to my life. 
    RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Collaborated with John Martyn on his classic ‘One World’ album. JM described him as ‘mad as a snake’. 

He outlived JM by 25 years - so he clearly got something right. RIP.
    High praise from one noted for his own eccentricities.

merlin said:
    Loved him. Bonkers and brilliant in equal measure. 
    I've seen him live several times and he never failed to amaze. 
    +1. I'm sure I caught him live in a tent in Brighton backed by Sly 'n Robbie but it may have been a fever dream (or somewhere else completely). He looked like a plucked chicken and was quite entrancing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    Heart of the Congos
    Yes indeed. That's an album that can take a million listens and still be as fresh as the first pressing. Spectacular. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    edited August 2021
    Bizarrely, a friend and I were also listening to Heart of the Congos when we heard the news. Very spooky indeed. One World is one of my favourite JM albums and Scratch Perry was fundamental to its success.Think he co-wrote the track Big Muff. A bonkers genius in many ways. RIP.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited August 2021
    Grunfeld said:
    Yesterday I was in the garden listening to Heart of the Congos for the millionth time, noticing the production as always and how it's every bit a part of the songs themselves.  That album is just so good.  My favourite album ever probably cos I can't think of anything else I've been listening to for, oh gawd 44 years, and still really enjoy. 
    I listened to a lot of his stuff on the back of that album and some of it is a bit sketchy for my ears but that album redeems all and it's kind of the soundtrack to my life. 
    RIP
    Apologies that this is a diversion - when I was reading Ranking Roger's autobiography he talked about Heart of the Congos and I thought about you. The Beat got it released in the UK onto their subsidiary of Chrysalis and later on the singer from The Congos did backing vocals on a few tracks by them. 

[ Edit: Cedric Myron, he sang on Doors of my Heart by The Beat]

Unlike richman I wasn't listening to that album this weekend although did have on Ernest Ranglin"s version of Congo Man at some point which is just sublime. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Concorde @ Brighton, March 2016

• wintoidwintoid Frets: 27
    One of the true greats.  I've spent Sunday evening listening to his stuff in tribute.
    Click here for my feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Bonkers and genius in equal measure.

A truly groundbreaking, inspiring musician and one of the most influential producers of all time.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Thanks @Grunfeld for letting me know about Heart of Congos, albeit under sad circumstances, wasn’t aware of it until today but downloaded it and really enjoyed. 

I first became aware of him when I heard “Chase the Devil” as others have said he’s bonkers and inspiring in equal measures. 
  • One of my heroes, and a huge part of my childhood because my dad was also a big fan. 

I don't really go in for the whole Celebrity RIP thing but this one hit me pretty hard. 
  • Ahhh.... this is sad news.... a true innovator. He contributed to soooooo much - combining innovation, heartfelt records, dancing records and socially aware records that stand him as one of THE great producers in any era or genre - as well as the previously mention Heart of the Congos and works like War Ina Babylon - his own incredible back catalogue is splendidly varied and rewarding...

His influence on establishing mixing and production as stand alone art forms cant be overestimated..... he was also a radical thinker and bringer of love, collaboration and style... he always moved forward and embraced the new and unfamiliar - a true artist...

Also - whilst his influence on roots reggae and dub is well established - his role in developing Bob Marley and Wailers from a ska group into a roots reggae act that would go on to conquer the world is a truly significant and heavy weight contribution to the culture...... 

The last album (I think?) that he made - with Adrian Sherwood of On U Sound - 'Rainford'....is a clear demonstration that he retained clarity and artistry right to the end of his life 

My own favourite Perry production is impossible to listen to without moving your waste and feeling the blessing of music in your heart - 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    My fav is this little skanking masterpiece from 68

"OUR TOSSPOT"