Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How does one buy a Klon KTR?

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Just opened my other Klone, it has this "special" diodes too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2097
    I’m not sure my playing would sound better recorded, or to an audience if I swapped out my Keeley TS-9 for a Klon or KTR to boost my Small Box with. 

The price of these things is literally stupid. So is the hype. 

Fuck it, I’ll sell you my Lovepedal Kalamazoo Spanish Gold if you like. £500. 

PGS Andy made one sound exactly like (shot them out) a Klon on a PGS video back in the day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Ah, but the special diodes aren't just any special diodes... they're special special diodes. Not all ones of the same special type sound the same, it's only the ones in the batch that he had in the first place which he used in the original pedals. Which have run out now I think.

I also have an interesting historic bridge in the classifieds, if anyone's interested.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So do I understand this right?

The originals sound so good because they have magic diodes and that's why none of the copies sound as good, even the ones that have their own source of magic diodes...

... But now that Bill has run out of magic diodes it's OK because through the power of magic he's been able to build a pedal that sounds identical to the original anyway.

Even in the world of pedal snake oil that seems like a tough sell. Genuinely - have I interpreted this right? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited September 2021
    So do I understand this right?

The originals sound so good because they have magic diodes and that's why none of the copies sound as good, even the ones that have their own source of magic diodes...

... But now that Bill has run out of magic diodes it's OK because through the power of magic he's been able to build a pedal that sounds identical to the original anyway.

Even in the world of pedal snake oil that seems like a tough sell. Genuinely - have I interpreted this right? 

You got it correct.

Apparently, the words "THESE ARE ESSENTIAL" on the PCB on the KTR is sarcasm and a joke, yet the interview with Premier Guitar he said the diodes are special and important and only he has them.

Anyone else who claims he only has a stash of these special diodes and no one else is lying, remember that he started in 1994, way before the internet has taken off like it is now.  Not every store has a website.  What likely happened was that he bought all the stock for these diodes from a local supplier in the city and the supplier told him there are no more.  There is pretty much ZERO chance he called every supplier and distributor in his State, nevermind the United States, nevermind the Continent of North America, nevermind the rest of the world.  To check all that in 1994...impossible.

So the diodes are NOT special, he can make them sound the same without them now, and he is also selling his 001 (which is actually no.17) to fund house repairs.

I read that he is super nice and generous with people and i can believe that but it sure is not a very good businesman.  He can use the handful of diodes he got left, make them once and month and drop them on eBay and sell it for £2k easy.  I am not sure he needs to give us reasons everytime he sells a Klon now, either to fund medical bill for a friend or to fund house repairs.  He doesn't own people a reason at all why he is selling them, just make it, people will buy it.
  • Arguably it is those same reasons that are driving prices up though right?

Arguably it is those same reasons that are driving prices up though right?

I would guess we're somewhere in the Mania Phase at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    edited September 2021
    i'm going to make that my wallpaper
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    At this moment in time, I kind of regret selling my KTR several years back.  However, I'm perfectly happy with the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe I have now.  I think I actually prefer it to what I remember of the KTR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the less time spent thinking about what your gear is worth, the better!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I’ve bought and sold a few of these. They’re good but spending £250 for a clean boost is a bit silly in my opinion. I wouldn’t use it as an overdrive over a Keeley 1962x. It’s another completely overhyped pedal. 
    If you’re using it as a clean boost then the magic diodes aren’t actually doing anything anyway...

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    ‘Magic’ :lol: 
  • ICBM said:
    If you’re using it as a clean boost then the magic diodes aren’t actually doing anything anyway...
    I think that's my favourite part of the whole story.the 'best way' to use it doesn't even need the magic ingredients!! 
  • 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lonewolff said:
    Amazing. I'd buy it just for that if, y'know, I needed to get rid of some cash in a hurry or something. 
  • yepp.. haven't moved at all since the announcement 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited September 2021
    Philtre said:
    None of those sold after the announcement that Bill has to make the new KTR's with different components.

Reverb has more up to date pricing.
    I agree, it is crazy.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    ICBM said:
    Arguably it is those same reasons that are driving prices up though right?

I would guess we're somewhere in the Mania Phase at the moment.
    Someone should make an overdrive with this frequency curve.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom