SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED NOW THANKS.....WTB Roland Micro Cube

cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
edited August 2014 in Amps £
ALL SORTED Need a small amp to take away on courses and for lunchtime at work. Already use a 40XL and thought I'd see if anyone was moving a micro.
Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I've got a Vox DA5, they're fantastic little amps, and a great used (eBay) find if you can find one.  Battery powered too.
    I'd look for one of those over a Microcube any day!

But, best bang for your buck for non-gig practice would be the Yamaha THR5/10.  Have a read here:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/6016/

Good luck

Marlin
    found this:  

I modded mine with a 8" Weber alnico speaker, it sounded even batter afterwards.  Its a cracking little amp, byt the Yamaha THR's are supposed to be better!   I won't be selling my DA5 though ;)

Marlin
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    That's funny, just sold my THR. Just could not get on with it.....most owners really like them but didn't work for me.
    Might have a nose at the DA5 though. Was looking at a cube as I actually gig with the 40xl on occasion and always does what I want.
    Cheers for the Vox suggestion, will investigate.
    A tip for the DA5 (should you get one).  There are around 12 amp models.  Three clean, three bluesy,and three metal (one Vox, one Fender and one Marshall). 

All are great, and it's a lovely sweet lovely amp.  I'm not a metal man, I'm more 70's punk, rockabilly and blues, but I love the metal models.   I put the amp in the metal tone setting, choose one of the three flavours, then max the volume, but kick back the gain until there is no sound.  Then, i inch the gain slowly forward until there is some volume.  In that first 1'8th of a turn of the gain knob, some magic happens.  There are some fantastic tweedy type tones, with great pick dynamics, and real bite.  Play lightly, nice and clean, dig in a bit, and you get those Ry Cooder slide tones, thorough to some fantastic punk type tones (all with the turn of the tone knob). - and all at neighbour friendly levels.  

I've got some really nice gear, but my humble little Vox DA5 is a firm favourite.  A friend came around with his AC4, and I think my little DA5 (with speaker upgrade) kicked it's ass!

But gear is subjective - only trust your own ears :)

Good luck

Marlin (Paul) 
    All sorted now ta.
    What did you get?
    Micro cube mate. I always get a sound with the Roland stuff.