Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Covers which get the best crowd reaction?

What's Hot

Comments

• Playing the social clubs with my function band - I have never yet seen an empty dancefloor when we play Wonderful Tonight. Whatever you might think about Eric Clapton and this song - for a certain type of audience it never fails to work.
    Also Crazy Little Thing Called Love - the Queen classic that gives your bass player a chance to warm up!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Another vote for Wonderful Tonight.

And Black is Black.  Play the opening riff and the floor is full. In a few seconds.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Teenage Dirtbag, Brown Sugar, Sultans of Swing, I Believe in a thing called love. All great fun to play too! 
  • jaymenon said:
    Angels
    Road to Amarillo
    Delilah
    We Will Rock You
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Hey Jude
    All Right Now
    Sweet Caroline
    I Just Called To Say I Love You

Jesus Christ people are idiots. Playing some of those would make me want to top myself.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    jaymenon said:
    Angels
    Road to Amarillo
    Delilah
    We Will Rock You
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Hey Jude
    All Right Now
    Sweet Caroline

Jesus Christ people are idiots. Playing some of those would make me want to top myself.

Sad to read this my friend.  A lot of musicians, including guitar players, like to give some enjoyment to others by their playing.  You don't have to make a 'statement' every time you pick up your instrument.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited September 2021
    -

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Rocker said:

And Black is Black.  Play the opening riff and the floor is full. In a few seconds.
    The floor is full of what? Zimmer frames?

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    we used to do arc angels/doyle bramhall ii's 'shape i'm in', which people really enjoyed without being familiar. it is a pretty straight 12 bar though!
  • bbill335 said:
    we used to do arc angels/doyle bramhall ii's 'shape i'm in', which people really enjoyed without being familiar. it is a pretty straight 12 bar though!
    It's a song co-written with Marc Benno ( who amongst other things played some of the guitar parts on The Doors' LA Woman album) so it took three people to write a 12 bar and I have a copy of his version somewhere. Which, IIRC, isn't as good. I occasionally dig that first Arcangels album out, it was great stuff.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    jaymenon said:
    Angels
    Road to Amarillo
    Delilah
    We Will Rock You
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Hey Jude
    All Right Now
    Sweet Caroline

Sad to read this my friend.  A lot of musicians, including guitar players, like to give some enjoyment to others by their playing.  You don't have to make a 'statement' every time you pick up your instrument.
    I think this is part of why I was always a bad band member - being torn between wanting to make a statement and wanting to entertain people and having a resultant inner turmoil. I particularly hated playing weddings ( although why any band I ever played in was asked to do weddings I don't really know) which seemed like some form of subservience whereas I wanted to use cover versions of minor hits from the 1980s to bring down capitalism. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    Rocker said:

Ah feck, my irony meter just exploded! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    p90fool said:
    I Will Survive, which luckily is great fun to play. 
    The version by Cake though.
    Just checked this out, it's terrible, but in a good way!
  • poopot said:
    Rocker said:

Don’t diss care home gigs! 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2021
    poopot said:
    Rocker said:

Don’t diss care home gigs! 
    I suppose if you are a resident in a care home getting up and performing such greats as black is black and wonderful tonight for the rest of your housemates is a nice change from the bingo…

mind you, even the folks currently in care homes are prolly too young to really appreciate (or care about) such golden oldies!…
  • Art vs. commerce innit? Same as it ever was. 

Sure you can populate a setlist full of Robben Ford, Alan Holdsworth and  Dream Theatre covers - turn up at the Dog and Duck ready to unleash you and your bandmates quite staggering technical prowess to a doubtless eager, salivating pub regular crowd...and marvel at the tumbleweed blowing across the beer sodden wooden (and empty) dancefloor at the end of the night whilst the landlord ponders why his takings are down that night.

If you want regular bookings on the UK pub rock, social club circuit that generally means playing Mustang, Brown Eyed Alabama with a side helping of Se*x on Brightside 69. And boy you'd better look like you're having fun doing it !! ;-)

(though I must give kudos to the band in a Brixham pub I once saw doing 10CC's Art for Art's sake - that was brilliant - and I'm not being insincere here).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    I can spot two groups here, those who play for a living and those who play for themselves. How many of us are in a third group, we play because we like it, but we want the audience to like it too?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    I can spot two groups here, those who play for a living and those who play for themselves. How many of us are in a third group, we play because we like it, but we want the audience to like it too?
    Doing it for a living may be a bit different but I think people will tend to pick covers they like? If not the whole set at least some of it.   

And for all that this is a bit about clichés there is something about doing less obvious covers and getting a response that way. You just have to work on the assumption that the average punter has a poor attention span and you have to come back in with something they can hum in their  sleep straight after.  
  • Roland said:
    What about those of us who play for ourselves, have an audience who like it too, and also manage to make some money??

None of the above is mutually exclusive, and these false dichotomies are not useful, and they are the exact trolling behaviour that you always accuse me of.

Bye!

• Rocker said:
    jaymenon said:
    Angels
    Road to Amarillo
    Delilah
    We Will Rock You
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Hey Jude
    All Right Now
    Sweet Caroline

If you're not making a statement with your playing, then you're just making noise. Pretty ironic really, considering your comments on my tone and my playing.

Bye!

• CaseOfAce said:
    Art vs. commerce innit? Same as it ever was. 

Sure you can populate a setlist full of Robben Ford, Alan Holdsworth and  Dream Theatre covers - turn up at the Dog and Duck ready to unleash you and your bandmates quite staggering technical prowess to a doubtless eager, salivating pub regular crowd...and marvel at the tumbleweed blowing across the beer sodden wooden (and empty) dancefloor at the end of the night whilst the landlord ponders why his takings are down that night.

If you want regular bookings on the UK pub rock, social club circuit that generally means playing Mustang, Brown Eyed Alabama with a side helping of Se*x on Brightside 69. And boy you'd better look like you're having fun doing it !! ;-)

(though I must give kudos to the band in a Brixham pub I once saw doing 10CC's Art for Art's sake - that was brilliant - and I'm not being insincere here).
    And this is precisely why the UK scene is so different to the EU scene, and the American scene.

Those other scenes support original music, and they support live music, and they invest in their art.

And people wonder why the UK government doesn't take the arts seriously. I wouldn't either.... if I was in power, there's no way I'd want to spend money funding grandad and his ineffective spineless AC/DC and Guns & Roses covers bands.

Pure vomit.

Bye!