Which loadbox?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
Which loadbox should I get? I basically just want something that will present an impedance to the amp, and give me a line out into my interface so I can record through impulses. Not sure I can be knobbed with spending all that dollar-dollar on the Two Notes stuff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    RAT sell one on eBay for about £50. Looks ok.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Sorry, should've said for a 100-watt amp.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Ah I see. Might be worth asking him if he can do a higher power one.
  • The Mesa Cab Clone looks a nice size + price, it isn't out yet though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    edited August 2014
    Find an old 2KW kettle or fan heater, preferably one so old it doesn't even have an on/off switch. Cut the mains plug off and fit it with a 1/4" plug.

Instant 16-ohm load rated at whatever power you like.

Yes, this is completely serious!

Maths: resistance = voltage-squared/power. 240*240/2000 = 28.8 ohms. That's the 'hot' resistance, and is already in the safe range for a 16-ohm amp; the 'cold' resistance will be a little lower. If in any doubt, just meter it. A 3KW heater might be even closer if you can find one - probably a 3-bar "electric fire".

If it has a switch and you're concerned you may accidentally turn it off (open circuit, bad) either tape it into the on position or go inside it and hardwire across the switch.

I did exactly this when I was bench-testing a couple of Hiwatt 400s a few years ago. I didn't have a proper load anywhere near big enough for the ~445W clean and ~775W fully cranked that these monsters will produce, so I used a fan heater :).

Use a volume pedal or similar connected to the other speaker jack to derive a line-level signal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited August 2014
    775W!! %-(
    Less is not more. More is more. Even more is still more.

Someone we know had an empty Hiwatt 4x12" and four spare 200W EVMs at the time as well, so we could have built the world's loudest half stack. I wanted to try it but someone bought the heads.

:))

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• slateslate Frets: 89
    edited August 2014
    guitarfishbay;317814" said:
    The Mesa Cab Clone looks a nice size + price, it isn't out yet though.
    It is - mine arrived yesterday from GAK : -)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/slate_photos/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0046_zpso2lim4lk.jpg
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 391
    I have a koch which I really like. 60W through 8ohms iirc. really decent
  • slate said:
    guitarfishbay;317814" said:
    The Mesa Cab Clone looks a nice size + price, it isn't out yet though.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/slate_photos/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0046_zpso2lim4lk.jpg

Cool!  How are you finding it?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited August 2014
    Jettenuator, dude. Turn the volume all the way down, and it's a load box - it's designed to take a cranked JCA100H, so it should be fine for yours.

EDIT: Prices have dropped again, they're £107 now.
    <space for hire>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    Jet City recommend setting the attenuator control to 2 which gives a proper load. It has a normal line out and an emulated XLR too.

It's a handy tool to have lying around for that price.
    guitarfishbay;318612" said:
    slate said:

guitarfishbay;317814" said:The Mesa Cab Clone looks a nice size + price, it isn't out yet though.

Cool!  How are you finding it?
    It's OK, nothing special.
    It's built well and it does what it says on the tin, but I'll be returning it.
    I brought it for the cab Sims but they're really no different to any of the other hardware cab simulators that I've had (which is not very good at all, IMHO).
    May be OK for foh, but for recording it just sound fizzy and flat - especially compared with the excellent IR's that are available these days.
    I have a sequis elemental that I use for the load box and DI, so the mesa has nothing else to offer me.

I take it the Sequis still sounds better? That was by far the best hardware box I've heard - the only one that sounded passably like a real cabinet. In the end I didn't really have an application for it though - it really is just easier to use software, as well as better-sounding.

Surprisingly enough, into a PA for live use it barely matters. The H&K Red Box was adequate, and Koneguitarist reckons even his old passive Peavey one is near enough indistinguishable in a gig mix.

edited August 2014
    I'd agree that the sequis is the best hardware sim that I've had but it still pales into insignificance next to Ownhammers IR's, and as you rightly say the software is far easier to tweak.