Creating drum tracks for songs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2021
    I bought a large bag of loops and use them as a starting point:
    https://groovemonkee.com/products/mega-pack
    That's usually where I start. I've got the Groovemonkee mega-pack, plus there are midi patterns included within the various drum VSTi's I own. The groove patterns aren't generally quantised, but sometimes I end up quantising them. Then I might edit them to suit as I record other instruments. 

I sometimes programme from scratch.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The way I've found best is to use tap to search in Superior/EZDrummer and find a similar beat to what you need. And then edit that until its exactly right. You'll have all the subconscious human playing things already there with no work and its just a case of adjusting the odd kick and snare for the most part. 

The only downside is as well as investing in the sampler, you really need some of Toontrack's MIDI libraries too. I've spent so long in the past programming every hit click by click and I'd never go back to that now for 99% of parts.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    I often use SD3 for all drum requirements. 
    Having said that, I play drums a little and so understand how a drummer would actually play parts and where the velocities and quantises need to be adjusted for realism. I also usually know what kind of groove I want a tune to have. 

One method which actually sounds too obvious that I have used in the past is to send an MP3 of the song to a drummer and get them to have a few jams over the track for familiarity and then film a pass on their phone etc. It allows you to get another take on the track and if there are any grooves or fills that are interesting, just program them in or find some midi grooves that sound similar etc. 

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    OddGrooves are natural and cheap.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........