Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How big a factor is resonance in what makes a good electric?

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Has anyone been reading a magazine about gear and been surprised to find out that a part was played on a different guitar than they'd always thought?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14214
    tFB Trader
    it is discussions like this when you realise 3 colour sunburst has not been around for a while
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    thegummy said:
    poopot said:

thegummy said:

What if an artist was to tape their performance then make copies of they recording to pass on to others on order for them to listen in the comfort of their own homes?
    Ahhhh, so you’re saying what you hear on a recording is exactly what was coming out of the amp at the time the recording was made?

Interesting!
    I could have sworn I typed my comment in English...
    You did… 

and I responded in a very sarcastic way…

these recordings you mention, something like an album maybe? A produced release?

That guitar tone you hear on the record has gone through a mic, you hear the room it was recorded in, its prolly gone into outboard gear etc before
    being printed… then it’s mixed in with all the other instruments on the song… massive chunks of its frequencies are cut out to make way for other instruments so everything sounds nice… bit of saturation to make it sparkle…then it’s off to mastering… more eq changes etc etc… then you listen on your setup with the eq set the way you like it…

Most folk (myself included) would be hard pushed to say what guitar was used on any recording let alone what wood it was made of or how resonant it was…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    In fact... Following on from my comment above... lets give it a whirl...

@thegummy here is a little clip of me dicking about earlier today... Ive stripped the audio out of a video... 

You tell me what guitar I used and Ill post the video after you've had a guess...

https://soundcloud.com/user-931985443/comfortablygummy

Go on. Have a crack at it
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11615
    thegummy said:
    Has anyone been reading a magazine about gear and been surprised to find out that a part was played on a different guitar than they'd always thought?
    Of course.  Stairway solo on a Tele.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Offset said:

Stairway solo on a Tele.
    Another Brick In The Wall solo on a P90 Les Paul.

The One I Love on a Les Paul. (And through a Marshall, too!)

The interesting thing about all these is that when you know what you're listening for, you *can* tell... eg with The One I Love, listen to the last two chords at the very end, which are much too thick-sounding to be a Rickenbacker and a Vox despite what you see in the video.

I've said this before a lot, but the only *really* distinctive electric guitar sound is the Strat in-between positions, because they have a unique comb-filter sound that's determined by the unusual spacing of the pickups - and not by any other aspect of the guitar. Anything else really just sounds like a bridge pickup, a neck pickup, or both together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    poopot said:

@thegummy here is a little clip of me dicking about earlier today... Ive stripped the audio out of a video... 

You tell me what guitar I used and Ill post the video after you've had a guess...

Unmistakably, it's a BC Rich Kerry King Signature Warlock 7-String with EMGs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    poopot said:

Unmistakably, it's a BC Rich Kerry King Signature Warlock 7-String with EMGs.
    Close
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    poopot said:

https://soundcloud.com/user-931985443/comfortablygummy

Will need to be later that I listen but I'll give it a shot. The best I think I'll be able to do is guess whether it's single coil or humbucker but even then I'm not confident.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    poopot said:

Les Paul Special

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 584
    edited September 2021
    Only time it ever possibly matters, in my often wrong opinion, is when playing through a brilliantly clean amp with little to no effects and unaccompanied.

As soon as you add distortion and stick things in the context of a mix of band pickup choice is more important, purely in the mix even that becomes way less significant.

only thing that really matters is “do you like how it plays”

Caveat edit : unless you’re playing an acoustic. Probably has some effect then …
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    poopot said:

Les Paul Special
    Oooooo... Close... but no :)
  • @poopot ;

This is gonna be a trick thing isn't it. Is it a proper full on '69 Strat or something ?? That's my guess.

Bye!

@poopot ;

This is gonna be a trick thing isn't it. Is it a proper full on '69 Strat or something ?? That's my guess.
    Getting warmer…
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    One thing that doesn't get discussed much is position of pickup along length of string. Yeah we all recognise bridge vs neck pickup tonal variation, however could minor differences in position of a neck pickup have a marked effect on tone? Or can that be easily eliminated by adjusting pickup height?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I’m begging it it be a plywood bodied marlin sidewinder or low brow encore catalogue guitar from 1991. 

You know the black one that’s about 4/5 size with a humbucker and no scratchplate! 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    ewal said:
    One thing that doesn't get discussed much is position of pickup along length of string. Yeah we all recognise bridge vs neck pickup tonal variation, however could minor differences in position of a neck pickup have a marked effect on tone? Or can that be easily eliminated by adjusting pickup height?
    Yes, quite significantly when combined with scale length. 

There is quite a big variation on acceptable bridge and neck pickup positions anyway, and it does account for some of the big differences between otherwise comparable models.

Definitely a bigger difference than woods to my ears, but I still pay attention to woods and materials as it matters to me.

Athough If having pickups closer together then it makes sense to have a bigger difference in wind to still get decent variation between positions.
    I’m begging it it be a plywood bodied marlin sidewinder or low brow encore catalogue guitar from 1991. 

You know the black one that’s about 4/5 size with a humbucker and no scratchplate! 

Shall I put everyone out of their misery then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Philly_Q was the closest I think with his guess…

https://youtu.be/sPaYvw0DB5I

:)
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18726
    poopot said:
    @Philly_Q was the closest I think with his guess…

https://youtu.be/sPaYvw0DB5I

:)
    How do we know you aren't pulling a Milli Vanilli ?  ;)

Good point, nicely made :+1: