Learning bass as a guitarist

What's Hot
So I got myself a bass. Now I'm not a bad guitarist I know my major scales and the modes there of.
But when I pick up the bass, well I sound a bit crap.
Any good free online resources for starting bass as a guitarist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Scott’s Bass Lessons is pretty good.

Right hand technique is the hardest conversion element imho 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Of all the instruments with strings, the bass is one that really needs a teacher to give you the basics and the low down of bass playing.  To get you started off 'right'.  So book yourself some lessons, guitar shops probably know who teaches bass in your area.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Start off on bass and move to guitar........ohh, bit late for that.....sorry!

Being slightly more serious, it depends what you want to achieve, I started on guitar, played bass in a couple of bands because there were 10 guitarists for every bass player before moving back to guitar. Nowadays I can play along to most songs on bass, and I can come up with bass parts for my own songs.

I mention this as there is a definite change of mindset when playing bass and guitar. The techniques, both right and left hand will come with practice, but playing AS a bass player is not as easy.

On a practical level, you might find some use from 

• As a guitar player I pay attention to the rhythm the drummer is knocking out on the snare and high hat.

As a bass player I pay attention to the rhythm of the kick drum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
    Roots, Fifths, Major and Minor Thirds and octaves. I belive it is possible to be a perfectly functional bass player on nothing more than this. Maybe search you tube for the “Steve Harris box” there’s a great poster on there who’s vids I enjoy who does a video on this. Also look at the rhythm of something like black velvet. It’s a root note groove with a few licks here and there but is a perfect baseline for the song. 

Groove and rhythm is everything. 
  • Scott’s Bass Lessons is pretty good.

Right hand technique is the hardest conversion element imho 

It depends, you have a choice of pick or fingers.

I switched from guitar to bass and bass was my main instrument for many years.  I decided that I wanted to do it "properly" and worked pretty hard on right hand technique.  During my time as a gigging bass player I always used fingers.

With hindsight I think that was the wrong decision.  On the rare occasions I play bass now I always use a pick. I think there's no musical downside, in fact I think my time and note definition is better with a pick.

Modifying my guitar picking technique for bass would have taken a fraction of the time and work, time and work that could have been spent on something more valuable.  There are a lot of great players, in every genre, using picks, including many of my favourite players (Carol Kaye, Anthony Jackson, Steve Swallow).  Given the same choice again I wouldn't even consider playing with fingers.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    I play bass with fingers and pick. Some songs need the attack you get from a pick, some songs sound better on the fingers. I also use hybrid picking on the bass and often fret the bottom E string with my thumb. Basically there's no rules technique wise as long as it sounds good. 
    If you know the basic triad components of chords, root, third and fifth then you will know how to build a basic bass line straight off the bat. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk