Jaguar / Mustang Tremolo in a Maple Cap?

What's Hot
Hypothetically, could one install a Jaguar vibrato unit in a maple cap that is chambered below the cap? 

I'm presuming the routing wouldn't be too muc of an issue, just the force on the unit - would it pull the cap up over time? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How thick is the hypothetical maple cap? Is it flat or carved/arched? Do you know where the weight relief cavities are beneath the cap?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    Hypothetically, it looks like this one. 

It's also London Plane, not maple, but nice and thick because it was hypothetically made by GSP. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Are the 'side rails' of that end cavity spaced so that the four outer screws of the JM tailpiece will go into them? ie the inner space smaller than about 70mm wide and the outer edges more than about 90mm apart? It looks like that's about right, although hard to tell from the photo angle. If they are, then it's not a problem at all. The front two don't take a very significant load, even if they miss the centre block.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Are the 'side rails' of that end cavity spaced so that the four outer screws of the JM tailpiece will go into them? ie the inner space smaller than about 70mm wide and the outer edges more than about 90mm apart? It looks like that's about right, although hard to tell from the photo angle. If they are, then it's not a problem at all. The front two don't take a very significant load, even if they miss the centre block.

I'll have a measure up. Should be able to get a fairly accurate measurement from this photo and the cutaways to estimate where the side rails are. 

• The front two screws are the ones I'd be worried about. It depends on the distance between the bridge and the vibrato tailpiece string anchor.

Fuengi said:
    London Plane, not maple
    Thank Clapton that the vibrato is Jaguar/Jazzmaster, not Mustang.
    The front two screws are the ones I'd be worried about. It depends on the distance between the bridge and the vibrato tailpiece string anchor.
    I can set that where I choose provided I miss the bridge, right? 
  • Looking at the Mastery MV vibrato tailpiece, its outline does away with the front two fastening screws altogether. 

The downside is that the unit is fugly compared to the Jazzmaster/Jaguar outline.
    Fuengi said:
    The front two screws are the ones I'd be worried about. It depends on the distance between the bridge and the vibrato tailpiece string anchor.
    I can set that where I choose provided I miss the bridge, right? 
    Don't worry about it - they're under no upward force at all, they're purely in shear which will be fine even in a relatively thin top. If you try to get them to go into the centre block you'll have the tailpiece too far forward. It's the outer four that are under almost all the load.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Looking at the Mastery MV vibrato tailpiece, its outline does away with the front two fastening screws altogether. 

The downside is that the unit is fugly compared to the Jazzmaster/Jaguar outline.
    This one?

Actually I think that would look really good on this guitar. If you set it far enough back - and with the caveat about the side rail spacing - it should be possible to get all six screws into the centre block wood.

ICBM said:
    Looking at the Mastery MV vibrato tailpiece, its outline does away with the front two fastening screws altogether. 

This one?

Actually I think that would look really good on this guitar. If you set it far enough back - and with the caveat about the side rail spacing - it should be possible to get all six screws into the centre block wood.
    I tend to agree, I prefer this shape marginally to the JM / Jag tremolo.