PSA Nirvana stuff on the Beeb tonight

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
30 years since Nevermind and a couple of shows on tonight.

BBC2 9:30pm When Nirvana Came to Britain
followed by Reel Stories with Dave Grohl.
BBC4 11:20pm Classic Albums : Nevermind.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 30 years??!! What have i done with the last 30 years! Jesus that was gone in a blink. 
    Thanks, i’ll have to watch that one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    BlueStrat said:
    30 years??!! What have i done with the last 30 years! 
    Nevermind
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    I loved that particular episode of Classic Albums.  Cheers.
  • DiscoStu said:

I might have this wrong but I seem to recall that @camf was in the support band for that first uk tour.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    DiscoStu said:

I might have this wrong but I seem to recall that @camf was in the support band for that first uk tour.
    Really? That's super cool. Is that The Cateran then?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    DiscoStu said:

Holy moly
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Watched the end of Reel Stories last night, it was ace - going to IPlayer right now to watch it all.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Watched the end of Reel Stories last night, it was ace - going to IPlayer right now to watch it all.
    Dave Grohl is great value.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    DiscoStu said:
    DiscoStu said:

Ha! Yes, I’ve not seen it but that was us. It’s was a bit more complicated than support band. I believe their booking agent mentioned in the programme that someone had sent him their first single with a note saying he might like it. That was me. I’d imported a few copies into the UK and thought it was a fab single and sent it to a few people. Initially the tour was set up to be a double  headliner because at that stage we were better known. But by the time the tour was organised, thanks to me sending out these promo copies and Subpop picking up on the impact, TAD were added to the bill and we were dropped to support. I wasn’t that bothered at the time as I thought we were doing fine and they just seemed like another nice bunch of US punks going nowhere too. By the time we played that final show at ULU, I was starting to realise I might have been wrong on both counts. :) I did get asked to be on the documentary but decided, for various complicated reasons, not to do it. I’m not usually a great one for dwelling on the past and anyway, I usually prefer to tell that story over a few beers in a pub rather than on TV. I also much, much, much prefer and respect music people than TV people.
    0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2021
    And now you're super SUPER cool @camf !
    Just think... if you hadn't sent that single around...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camf said:
    DiscoStu said:
    DiscoStu said:

Ha! Yes, I’ve not seen it but that was us. It’s was a bit more complicated than support band. I believe their booking agent mentioned in the programme that someone had sent him their first single with a note saying he might like it. That was me. I’d imported a few copies into the UK and thought it was a fab single and sent it to a few people. Initially the tour was set up to be a double  headliner because at that stage we were better known. But by the time the tour was organised, thanks to me sending out these promo copies and Subpop picking up on the impact, TAD were added to the bill and we were dropped to support. I wasn’t that bothered at the time as I thought we were doing fine and they just seemed like another nice bunch of US punks going nowhere too. By the time we played that final show at ULU, I was starting to realise I might have been wrong on both counts. :) I did get asked to be on the documentary but decided, for various complicated reasons, not to do it. I’m not usually a great one for dwelling on the past and anyway, I usually prefer to tell that story over a few beers in a pub rather than on TV. I also much, much, much prefer and respect music people than TV people.
    Bloody hell mate , that is the coolest story ever . If that happened to me I would preface every comment on here with that tale even FS threads
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha! What’s cool is still being alive, having a great wife and family (including a couple of grandkids) and still enjoying playing and making music with friends almost every day. That success eluded poor Kurt and a few others I cared much more about. Anyway, time for a shameless plug. Here’s my latest Spotify thing. https://open.spotify.com/album/1qVeaiRXWeh5S5Hay76cDL?si=SpG7-mNHRdCk1OgW7LtnOg&dl_branch=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Had I carried on playing much longer after that tour, there was a strong chance I’d have gone the same way as Kurt and the others. Punk rock could be a dangerous business.
  • camf said:
    Haha! What’s cool is still being alive, having a great wife and family (including a couple of grandkids) and still enjoying playing and making music with friends almost every day. That success eluded poor Kurt and a few others I cared much more about. Anyway, time for a shameless plug. Here’s my latest Spotify thing. https://open.spotify.com/album/1qVeaiRXWeh5S5Hay76cDL?si=SpG7-mNHRdCk1OgW7LtnOg&dl_branch=1
    Sorry if my comment came over a bit crass , I just started reading your post and my jaw dropped. My Mrs is a huge Nirvana fan so I’ve followed them through her since the Bleach days . We were living in the US when Kurt passed away and I remember the desperate feeling of inevitability of it and how much it affected so many people .
    Im very glad you have found a great place in the world and yes I’ll definitely give that a listen later.
    I didn’t see it as crass in anyway. It just made me smile. It was all a very long time ago. But it has reminded me of some great and not-so-great times… so that’s not in any way a bad thing. 
    DiscoStu said:
    And now you're super SUPER cool @camf !
    Just think... if you hadn't sent that single around...
    There’ll be quite a few folks who wish I hadn’t sent it around. Nirvana were always hated by as many people who loved them. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    DiscoStu said:

enjoyed that a lot thanks for the nod.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I think the problem isnall the mythology and nonsens that comes with it. Then idea that metal needed saving gets repeated by people who clearly were not paying attention.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Jalapeno said:
    Binged the lot yesterday, bloody great !

Butch Vig was great in the Classic Albums episode.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • That’s truly an incredible story @camf - thank God you sent that record; a world without Nirvana and the Foo Fighters would be pretty sad!
    It must have been amazing to have been there at the start and watch the band explode onto the planet