Whatever happened to Maverick guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3499
    Ancient thread resurrection, re. Neil Brocklebank.

Haven't seen one of these in years...

Wow that's ugly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Had a couple of Mavericks in the past, a Chaos (exp shape, normal controls) and an F3 (2nd gen), which I still have now.

Got rid of the Chaos because the playing position felt weird playing seated or standing, like the neck is too far left.

The F3 though I really like, with upgraded pickups and a brass trem block it sounds awesome, and I love the controls as they don't get in the way when strumming. Really well designed and constructed guitars. Even the thicker neck of the 2nd gen isn't thick by any standards, just more of a C shape than the flat U of the 1st gen. They're one of the most valve for money guitars on the market.

http://i.imgur.com/V23ejRJ.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15377
    tFB Trader
    Sometime around 2005/2006 they stopped trading - I can't remember the surname of Mark, who ran Maverick Guitars - Probably the biggest issue they had was that it was a small operation regarding brand name, distribution and marketing and as such hard to compete against the established names like Ibanez, ESP, Jackson etc with far bigger backing world wide - It was very hard for Mark to get his brand name in the big stores of the day like Academy of Sound, Sound Control and others -  As such he mainly dealt with many of the smaller independent stores, often in smaller towns/cities and as such very hard to get the level of sales required to run a profitable business - So under financed was an issue, couple with sales potential  - So unsure if the bank pulled the plug on the operation, it was just inevitable I can't recall

I believe Mark has left the guitar business and I'm told he now lives in Malta

I see a few around today many of which are probably under-priced for the quality they offer - In short for £200/300 you get a guitar with a good playing performance and that is hard to knock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5104
    Mrs Brocklebank and her daughter got a mention in Map and Lucia..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    That still doesn't explain who Neil Brocklebank* is........
    He got bought out, now he's Neil HSBCbank
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Thread resurrection re. Mr. Brocklebank (again...) ;)

How much??!

Price aside, "This guitar is not for the faint hearted", so that's me out.

Strange position for a coil-tap switch...maybe more at home on a Pinball machine? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Intersound Guitars in Dursley have a few of these in stock still (Mavericks, not Indies). Can't remember why, leftover stock or something.
  • Intersound Guitars in Dursley have a few of these in stock still (Mavericks, not Indies). Can't remember why, leftover stock or something.

Have they tried giving them away? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2482
    Very precious little on the intertron and YouTube about Neil Brocklebank. 
    However, I succinctly remember being not particularly impressed with any of his output. 
    Seemed like a dude that was merely having a go. Credit for that, obviously. 
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1244
    tFB Trader
    I think i still have a copy of his CD somewhere in a dusty not played pile, there were a few decent melodic tracks on there if i remember....
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    By coincidence with he turned up at my mates jam night last week, I haven’t seen him for years but his wife still lives locally and he was visiting - he plays in a function band in Europe now.     Good to know he is still playing and fine and well.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1355

Thread resurrection re. Mr. Brocklebank (again...) ;)

How much??!

Price aside, "This guitar is not for the faint hearted", so that's me out.

Strange position for a coil-tap switch...maybe more at home on a Pinball machine? :)
    A mate actually owns one of these and I borrowed it for a while when I unexpectedly found myself with a pressing need for something a bit shreddy. It’s actually a bloody good guitar, and (while there’s no get around the brand recognition/value issue) in terms of how it plays, feels, and sounds for me at least is worth that money all day long...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    I remember seeing him at a stand at a guitar show. He was a widdly guitar player back in the days when widdly guitar was on the crest of a wave. 

Have they tried giving them away? :)

:) I don't think any have shifted since I've been going there!! 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    I had a maverick F3HT that was a hard tail Hsh set up. Really good guitar, I’d happily buy it back. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Still got my F3 (pictured above), while other guitars from the era have moved on. Very well designed instrument, not a gimick, but a professional gigging level guitar.
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I love my Mavericks,i own 6 of them atm x2 F1 ,x1 F3,x1 X-1 x1 F1-SF (maple with marker holes)  all Gen1 & x1 F1 gen 2 (modded neck shaved down to gen 1 thickness as gen 2's were way to to baseball bat thick for me)  

apart from one of the F1's and the F1 -SF which were both new old stock,i paid between £70 - £150 for each some need a bit more work that others but and they are all super guitars,the 16" radius and thin necks are even skinnier that the 80's ibby wizard's,great if you love this type of shred guitar setup.

I've just refinished a few of them this past month,first was a candy red F1 that had a few chunks missing out of it's finish,now it Bubblegum pink & i have another that was faded silver & chipped to death now re-done done in flying high/Sky blue that's just getting put back together and setup 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    That pink guitar looks good! (I still don't like the knobs though)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3892
    Don't like Mavericks but overjoyed to hear Gary is still there in  Music Box, give him my best on your next visit
    "maltingsaudio says hi"