SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: FS/FT: 1960 Gibson ES-330, £7650

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited October 2021 in Guitars £
I was in the fortunate position of being able to buy two ES-330's recently. First, I bought the 2018 model that was advertised here recently, bought by me, then sold by me, then swiftly bought back my me again. (Insert 'lol' here). It's a fabulous guitar.

Them just after I'd committed to buy it, this 1960 model came up at ATB Guitars.  It's a 'birth year' guitar, which is probably a daft but sentimental reason for getting one, but anyway, I went to see it, tried the 2018 and 1960 model side by side, and came to the conclusion that they were both lovely - slightly different - but lovely guitars. Anyway, long story cut short - I've ended up with both.

I knew that I'd end up selling one (what are the odds?!) and I've found that the chunkier neck of the 2018 model probably suits me better. That's the main difference between the two. If I hadn't have got the 2018 model, I'd have kept the 1960 model. It has what I think of as a slim taper profile (nothing like the pencil necks of the late '60's though), although I could be totally wrong.

So, I've thought about it and decided to offer this up for sale or trade for a couple of weeks. Then, I'll either keep it or take it for a dealer commission sale.

Here's the link to Mike's ad at ATB Guitars - it describes it far better than I can, and I just wanted to ramble on about why I bought it and why I'm selling it - the only mod that it's had, according to Mike, is a strap button at the neck side.

Additionally, I've had a new Gibson ABR-1 bridge fitted - I still have the original in the case - as the 61 year old bridge was sagging slightly in the middle, and I prefer a very low action. I didn't want to go the process of having the old one altered, just in case there was any damage done, so a new bridge seemed a quick and easy option.

I'm asking £7650 - I've pitched the price somewhere between what you'd pay at a dealers and what I'd expect to get from a commission sale after the dealer's cut - there aren't many 1960 ES-330's knocking around, but Guncotton have got a nice looking red 1961 version for sale at £9000. I think I've pitched it reasonably, but I'll soon find out! Put it like this, I've managed to make the usual loss, but never mind.....

I realise that £7650 is a good old chunk of cash, and I'm happy to look at trades, part trades, etc, up to the value of the ES-330 - more than one is OK.  I wouldn't really want to be going out of the Gibson, Fender CS, Gretsch spectrum, as I'd probably enjoy a trade for a few weeks and then look to sell it fairly easily.

It won't be going in the post, but if you're interested, we can have a chat about coming to see it, or me delivering it, or meeting along the fuel-starved highways, byways, laybys, public conveniences and notorious dogging areas up and down the country.

Here's a few pics - message me if you're interested!

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10924
    Can't believe how clean that is. Have a wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pruddprudd Frets: 682
    I will have to look in my guitar vault and see what's available for trading :)

Beautiful guitar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • good lord....
  • Blinking flip Dave….

Fancy a trade for a couple of bags of dog biscuits ?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited September 2021
    Thanks folks! Chuck a gallon of diesel in @Wazmeister ;and we might have a deal. 

Appreciate that it might not be something that flies off the shelf on the forum, hence the p/ex(es) suggestion, but I thought that I would give it a couple of weeks here before anywhere else. 

Call me Dave.
  • daddyashdaddyash Frets: 40
    edited September 2021
    That is a absolute snorter!  GLWTS 
  • Feck moi. :o
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5664
    I can vouch for Dave - I've met him in one of those notorious dogging areas and it was a satisfactory transaction.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice Dave 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    I can vouch for Dave - I've met him in one of those notorious dogging areas and it was a satisfactory transaction.

Not for the dog, it wasn't. :o

@tomajoha - thanks. Been invited to a '60's evening do at the 'Rec' (don't know where that is) in Pickering in December, so will be in touch!
    Call me Dave.
  • DB1 said:
    Brize said:

Not for the dog, it wasn't. :o

@tomajoha - thanks. Been invited to a '60's evening do at the 'Rec' (don't know where that is) in Pickering in December, so will be in touch!
    Coolio, come over for a coffee/strum  :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1227

...and still a few grand short. 

Beautiful 'burst (much nicer than most reissues) amazing checking etc. 

Grant Green-tastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A couple of pics of the neck and one of the back as requested! Remiss of me not to include them, although there's a few on the ATB link. The little ding in the top photo isn't noticeable when playing.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31440
    @DB1 - one of my mates has been trying to buy mine off me for ages. I'll send this his way.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Jesus, Dave. I'll swap you my '64 VOS 330 and a kidney, just in case you need a spare? 
    @Gassage - thanks, that's much appreciated.

And @Timeline88 - I'll bear that in mind. I'm OK for kidneys at the moment, but it's always good to have a spare to add to the collection that I keep in the cellar.

I do have some interesting trade plus cash offers, which are also much appreciated!
    Call me Dave.
  • @DB1 yet again you have a stunning guitar up on here. Of anyone I have seen you have the nicest guitars by far, well done my friend. 
  • And the nicest fireplace...
    @AirForceGaz - thanks, very kind, although there are some beauties on here and some guitars that would put mine to shame! I think I went past your practice place on my detour from Birmingham to Stafford on Saturday evening.  Hope all is well - bought another Country Gent on Sunday, but Gibson this time!

And @pluckedout - thanks Joe, if only I could afford to put the gas on. Too much GAS = no gas.
    Call me Dave.
    edited October 2021
    Sold, thanks. Thanks for the wows and kind comments - I'd just like to say that I've had at least four great chats about a potential deal with some truly lovely forum members, and I would have liked to have been able to have had a deal with them all.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom