zoom h8

thinking of getting one of these, for ease of getting demos recorded at rehearsal. seems like the best compromise of flexibility, number of inputs and price versus higher quality stuff for much more money (and less features).

has anyone got or used one? good? bad?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Why do you need 8 channels?

As field recorders these are good but I think sound devices are more pro.
    For doing proper multitrack demos you'd be better off with a computer and an audio interface.
    If you just want to capture rehearsals for reference then a 2 channel Zoom device with a couple of room mics is probably less work.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    edited September 2021
    we use DI keys and drum machines and 3x vox so a number of inputs is good if we can record something worth taking the time to mix afterwards. but also, more is better

i can't see much benefit of going up to the better stuff like sound devices other than "they're better", but also cost a lot more. 
  • Daughter has the Zoom H5 and been very pleased with both quality and functionality when recording choral / classical performances as part of studies
  • I've no experience with the H8 but the smaller Zoom recorders are solid.

If you're just after a cheap and easy way to record multiple tracks to be mixed later on a computer, a possible solution (if you can find one second hand - it's a discontinued product) is the Cymatic Audio LR-16.

I set up a small home studio a few years back for a drummer friend which needed to be as luddite-friendly as possible (he's a drummer!) yet able to record a drum kit and various other instruments (mostly DI'd) 'live'. I managed to source an LR-16 for £160 and it worked perfectly. There's a small additional expense as the unit doesn't have its own hard drive - it records onto a portable external drive connected via the USB socket.

Once set up it really was a doddle to record each track with just the press of the record button.

Unplug the drive, plug it into the computer and load up the multitracks to be mixed.