Ted Lee

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
edited September 2021 in Tributes
Not a house-hold name - but I was very sorry to learn today of Ted’s passing. 

Ted was one of the UK’s best repairmen, based in the North West but with very much a ‘national’ reputation. His clients included 10cc, Justin Haywood, Robert Fripp, Phil Manzenera, Marco Pirroni, George Harrison, Simply Red and many, many more. In later years he lectured at Leeds.

His knowledge was encyclopaedic - and his work was flawless. He was a wonderful bass player and a hugely funny, generous-spirited man. 

He died suddenly on the 15th September aged 80. His funeral is due to take place at Dukinfield Crematorium at 1.30pm on 6th October should any one on the forum know him.

RIP Ted, it has been a privilege to have known you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Ted Lee who was renowned for refinishing the first fenders that’s came into the U.K. back in the late 50s/early 60s?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited September 2021
    Ted Lee who was renowned for refinishing the first fenders that’s came into the U.K. back in the late 50s/early 60s?
    Yes - he probably was. I only met him in the mid-80s, but his history was immense.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/teds-sprayed-for-the-best-of-em-949950
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    @richardhomer - Mentioned it to Dixie - At the time he was not aware, but certainly recalls many chats with Ted over the years

I knew of him and his reputation but don't think I ever met him
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited September 2021
    @richardhomer - Mentioned it to Dixie - At the time he was not aware, but certainly recalls many chats with Ted over the years

I knew of him and his reputation but don't think I ever met him
    You would definitely not forget meeting Ted - not the tallest of men - but he had a king-sized personality.

The band I was in with him backed Arlen Roth at a gig in Rochdale. We’d learned the set from his albums and had one rehearsal the night before the show with him. If we were ‘good enough’ he’d play with us - if not he was going to use backing tracks. Arlen was picked up by Steve McLuckie (who distributed Hot Licks in the UK) from Manchester Airport, who drove him to where we were rehearsing.

When they came in, Ted went running up to Steve, threw his arms round him and said, “Arlen, I can’t believe I’ve finally met you - I’m your biggest fan”.

In spite of ‘not being amused’ by this - incredibly - we did pass the audition…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom