Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you play Fingerstyle on a Dreadnought?

What's Hot
Hello everyone

I recently made a video on this subject (I do love dreads but I struggle with them for fingerstyle) and I'd love to hear your own experiences!

All the best

Michael 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Davey Graham used to. Dreadnoughts are too big for me though, I struggle to get my arm around them comfortably. Same problem with archtops. Too big and too deep.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I can't add anything to this. I do use a Dread but I'm a strummer. But I'd guess you can fingerpick with a Dread. I mean, why not? Donovan managed it and did it well :) 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3681
    Like @Toms_Dad  I find Dreadnaughts uncomfortable to play, it feels like I’m trying to hug a wardrobe. But as you showed with the Flying V it’s possible to play any style of music on any kind of guitar. But, for a given player, it will sound better on a more “appropriate” guitar and I’m sure, ergonomics aside, a good luthier could build a great sounding Dreadnaught for fingerstyle but it may not sound so great flatpicked. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    Mine's a Dread and I play fingerstyle a lot. I've never had a small acoustic so it's all I know.
  • I find the best answer is a 12 fret dreadnaught with wide string spacing and nut. That's why I have a Ditson 111.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Toms_Dad said:
    Davey Graham used to......
    I seem to remember Paul Simon did too.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    And what about Ralph McTell? :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Very much so, and jumbo 
    finger style can benefit from wider nuts and longer scale length
    also ease / mellow tone, rather than “strangled” tone on some parlours 

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    No reason why not - although it might  benefit from using lighter strings than the usual mediums / light-mediums commonly found on dreads.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    edited September 2021
    Yes, I do - I prefer the big deep tone. I don’t like wide (or deep) necks so a standard dreadnought with a 1-11/16” nut is perfect. I’m small and skinny too, and I don’t find the size a problem.

As GTC said I also like 11s - with a medium action I don’t find the loss of tone or volume a lot of people say you get with anything lighter than 13s on one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7188
    I never had a smaller bodied guitar until about 18 months ago.  I always played all styles of "acoustic" music on my dreadnaughts.  I like Thomastik-Infeld SB111 Spectrum Bronze 11-52 strings because they feel looser and are a bit easier on the fingers than 12s, but they have a rich low end that tolerate and even seems to like being tuned down a half step.  They are expensive, but I keep them clean and they seem to retain their tone and windings for quite a while.  I'm quite a light fingerpicker and I find that smaller bodied steel-strung acoustics sometimes lack that low end unless I beef up the string gauge.  I am, 6' 5" and have arms like an orangutan, but even then I occasionally find I get a sore arm where it hangs over the body.  Unfortunately my belly is beginning to resemble a silverback gorilla full of leafy fart gas and a deep bodied acoustic sits less comfortably against my front than it used to, which is the main reason I bought a Grand Auditorium and OM.  I do enjoy the variation in tones from these different body sizes, but I wouldn't say that I fingerpick more or less on one than the other, I just pick differently.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4183
    edited September 2021
    I think for the kind of fingerstyle I play the dreadnought is perfect - muted alternating thumb in either the John Hurt or more thumpy Travis style. The dominance (no pun intended) of open chord shapes in the approach means that .013s aren't a problem either so I don't need a different setup between finger and flatpicking.

I imagine if you're a more sophisticated fingerstylist then it might all be a bit indelicate with a dread. 
  • I only have one acoustic, a D-28, and it has never occurred to me that it might not be suitable for fingerstyle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I play fingerstyle on all my guitars including a dreadnaught. I don't think I've particularly found it more challenging or difficult. I play a lot of fingerstyle though so may I'm just more used to it - I guess if you don't do it too often it may feel more strange with the bigger body shape?
  • I'm mainly an acoustic finger picker and had a Martin D18 a few years back. I found it was just too big and awkward for me, so sold it and got myself a parlour - the difference for me was night and day..
    I am now quite comfortable with a 000 size but can't ever me see me going back to a dreadnought.
  • I had a dread as my only acoustic for the last 7 years, until about a month ago (Dove followed by HD28). 

I just added an Atkin forty seven which is arguably better for finger style but I still love the 28
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 740
    edited September 2021
    Can you play fingerstyle on a dreadnought?

You can do anything!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3681
    Seems it comes down to two separate, but personal, factors: the ergonomics and the sound. Personally I find Dreadnaughts too big to play comfortably so whether I like the resulting sound is moot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I find the best answer is a 12 fret dreadnaught with wide string spacing and nut. That's why I have a Ditson 111.
    That is a hell of a guitar! I love those things! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom