PRS S2 STARLA - roller saddles?

Hi there,

I have received this amazing PRS S2 Starla for my 40th Birthday! It was a surprise and chosen by my friend who knows my guitar tastes very well.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1w34vys

It's my first experience with a Bigsby, and although I really enjoy it, I need it to stay in tune better. You can hear the string windings 'pinging' over the bridge saddles when you wiggle the Bigsby, so I bought and installed a Vanson roller bridge (not pictured). I'm really happy with the quality of the Vanson, and it totally solves the tuning issue - you can now go crazy on the Bigsby and it stays bang on every time. 

HOWEVER - the roller bridge saddles are far too tall, and the action is waaaay high. It's like a slide guitar! As far as I can tell, the PRS is just not designed with this level of adjustment, so even with the action height screws down at the bottom of their range, the action is way too high.

So it's coming off and going back to Amazon, BUT...can anyone hear think of a solution that will help me get roller saddles on this PRS?

Many thanks!

Jonny
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rather than roller saddles use domed thumbwheels. Rocking bridges stay in tune pretty well.
  • You could maybe try Graph Tech string saver saddles instead of roller saddles - the strings will slide more easily over them than metal saddles.

However, they are also a lot softer than metal, so will wear down quickly if you use the Bigsby a lot.
  • After some research, I've read that the Wilkinson roller saddle has a much lower profile so I'm going to try that. 

I popped a Reverend Soft Spring in and it acts more like a Floyd Rose now!

Another question - is there such a thing as a stop tailpiece that fits onto the saddle posts for a hardtail option?
  • And thanks for the replies guys!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8076
    edited October 2021
    Jeremiah said:
    You could maybe try Graph Tech string saver saddles instead of roller saddles - the strings will slide more easily over them than metal saddles.

However, they are also a lot softer than metal, so will wear down quickly if you use the Bigsby a lot.
    Tried them but no help on wound strings, eventually bought a gotoh TOM with wide post holes and converted it to a rocker bridge
  • I swapped it out for an Ultimate Roller Bridge on from Axesrus. Trickier to set up and I scratched some paint off setting the action height but I believe it actually sounds better than the other roller bridge. And of course the action can go much lower, which is the original intention. Something about the way it attaches means that it does rock somewhat with the vibrato system, but that doesn’t seem to affect anything. 
  • Actually - scrap that - the tuning stability is now terrible! Any Bigsby use puts it straight out of tune! Grrrr. Why did PRS put a Bigsby on this thing, or why didn’t they machine a roller bridge for it!
  • Is it the bridge or the nut that's the problem?
  • Definitely the bridge - it’s the only variable that’s changed since the previous roller bridge which was rock sold tuning wise but too high in terms of action. My plan now is to make something that goes under the bridge to stop it moving to and fro.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8076
    Definitely the bridge - it’s the only variable that’s changed since the previous roller bridge which was rock sold tuning wise but too high in terms of action. My plan now is to make something that goes under the bridge to stop it moving to and fro.
    LISTEN. Make a rocking bridge.... stopping the bridge moving makes your problems worse.

I have seen this in person with a starla, mira, es330 and a supro I converted to rock...