Input jack repair - tool won't fit

What's Hot
I'm trying to repair a loose input jack on a 3/4 size Harley Benton electric. However the distance between the outside of the jack and the inside wall of the recessed plate is too small for my tool to get in there. It fits the actual washer OK but the wall of the socket is too wide to fit inside the recessed plate (even though I'm using an actual guitar (Groovetech jack and pot) tool that has thin walls.

Does anyone have advice on this please? 

PS it is not a strat style input plate more like a tele style on the side of the body
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    You may have to use some fine-nose pliers, unless you can get at the jack from the inside and turn it in the opposite direction. The worst case might be two small flat-bladed screwdrivers held like chopsticks…

Make sure you’ve got a shakeproof washer on the inside, and if necessary use threadlock (superglue or nail varnish if you have to), so you don’t have to get it too tight for it not to come loose again.

If none of this works, replace the whole thing with an Electrosocket or a Les Paul-style jack plate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    ICBM said:
    You may have to use some fine-nose pliers, unless you can get at the jack from the inside and turn it in the opposite direction. The worst case might be two small flat-bladed screwdrivers held like chopsticks…

Make sure you’ve got a shakeproof washer on the inside, and if necessary use threadlock (superglue or nail varnish if you have to), so you don’t have to get it too tight for it not to come loose again.

If none of this works, replace the whole thing with an Electrosocket or a Les Paul-style jack plate.
    Great advice, thanks!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    You’ll be needing an output jack repair tool then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    You're talking about the thin stamped metal plates with the dish recess?  They are a pain.  I ground off the outside edges of a pair of cheap pliers from Asda so they fitted down the sides of the nut.  Generally I just used them to hold the nut while I tightened the socket from the reverse side, but more recently I ground down a standard socket until the walls were very thin.  I have rubbery tape wrapped around the top end for enough grip to hand-tighten nuts in that kind of plate.
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    BillDL said:
    You're talking about the thin stamped metal plates with the dish recess?  They are a pain.  I ground off the outside edges of a pair of cheap pliers from Asda so they fitted down the sides of the nut.  Generally I just used them to hold the nut while I tightened the socket from the reverse side, but more recently I ground down a standard socket until the walls were very thin.  I have rubbery tape wrapped around the top end for enough grip to hand-tighten nuts in that kind of plate.
    Great idea thx