SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB OM/000 Sized Acoustic by UK/Irish Luthier WHY?

What's Hot
RebarRebar Frets: 130
edited October 2021 in Acoustics £
Having recently sold a dreadnought sized PJE acoustic, I am looking for something smaller (OM/000 sizeed or thereabouts) but equally well made. Based on my research, I want to limit my choices to luthier made instruments from the UK and Ireland as I think they're as likely as anyone to produce superb sounding (and looking) instruments. 

At this stage, I'm open to suggestions but would like to see if there are any interesting acoustics which people may be considering moving on.

I have noticed that higher end acoustics don't seem to crop up around here very often, hence the enquiry. However, I'm keen to see what's out there!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Thinking about selling my Lowden WL-35 Wee Lowden, pretty much mint, £3300. Cheers, Jon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swampyswampy Frets: 33
    Dave Gregory (York luthier) om, slotted headstock, ziricote back & sides, cedar top,
    pm me if interested.
    Cheers
  • I played this the other day and it was really great, lovely wood choices too. OM size
    https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/brook-taw-pre-owned-2011-ec
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Ive a 1987 Lowden L32c just in @Rebar - feel free to call in and get a play at it 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • CastroCastro Frets: 510
    I have this stunner for sale:

2D FUNDAMENTAL https://imgur.com/a/I3C9kO5
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    edited October 2021
    I have a Ralph Bown 0014 in Koa. Just a little smaller than an OM. 
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 131
    I had a PJE 12-fret round shouldered dread for years and it was a superb guitar but, like you, I felt it was maybe just a little bit too bulky and therefore sold it intending to buy an OM. 

I did end up with the most amazing Oxwood OM which is, without a doubt, the best acoustic I have ever owned.  However, I have to say that it doesn't actually feel that much different from the D!  The scale length is the same and the shoulders on an OM are quite square.  The depth of the body is also very close.  I strongly recommend trying a few OMs before doing anything. 

I nearly bought a OOO as the scale length is shorter (24.9") and the neck is wider (1 11/16" instead of 1 3/4") but......the body is the same size as the OM.  However, I am delighted with the OM, I think it's a great compromise.  In an ideal world I'd have an OOO as well as the OM!!  ;)

Good luck with the search.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive a 1987 Lowden L32c just in @Rebar - feel free to call in and get a play at it 
    @WindmillGuitars apologies for thread derail but colour me interested. Any further info?
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @AlexHunter - now sold sadly
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • I have a Dave King 000 Katrina ,( natural , not sunburst )  lovely guitar , but I'm a bass player and my Six string needs are met by my Stephen Eden flamenco guitar 
  • RebarRebar Frets: 130
    greejn said:
    Thinking about selling my Lowden WL-35 Wee Lowden, pretty much mint, £3300. Cheers, Jon
    @greejn the Wee Lowden is a beautiful instrument, but I'm afraid that its a little too small for me. Thanks for your response though.
    Castro said:

Hi @Castro that's a beautiful instrument, but probably a little too 'non-traditional' for me in terms of aesthetics. Sorry.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    edited October 2021
    Castro said:

Love the look. What is it and how much would you be looking for it?

Sorry, just found the original thread offering this. It's a little rich for my blood.
    surfguy13 said:
    I had a PJE 12-fret round shouldered dread for years and it was a superb guitar but, like you, I felt it was maybe just a little bit too bulky and therefore sold it intending to buy an OM. 

I did end up with the most amazing Oxwood OM which is, without a doubt, the best acoustic I have ever owned.  However, I have to say that it doesn't actually feel that much different from the D!  The scale length is the same and the shoulders on an OM are quite square.  The depth of the body is also very close.  I strongly recommend trying a few OMs before doing anything. 

I nearly bought a OOO as the scale length is shorter (24.9") and the neck is wider (1 11/16" instead of 1 3/4") but......the body is the same size as the OM.  However, I am delighted with the OM, I think it's a great compromise.  In an ideal world I'd have an OOO as well as the OM!!  ;)

Good luck with the search.  
    Hi @surfguy13 ,

Many thanks for your comments and for the advice - you understand exactly where I'm coming from!

The PJE was an excellent guitar but I just always thought that it was a little uncomfortable (I'm 5' 8"), so I bit the bullet and sold it and I gather that the new owner is very happy with it. I then moved towards a Martin OM/000 and tried a couple in local music stores. However, whilst the size was fine, I was disappointed with the feel and tone. To be honest, I thought that they were decidedly underwhelming - especially with the price tags they had!

I therefore figured that I would go down the small(er) builder route in the quest for better quality and, because I'm Irish, I thought that something from these islands would be a more poetic choice. Names like McIlroy, Atkin, Avalon, etc spring to mind. However, I'm finding that there are many other luthiers out there who are producing amazing instruments, although there doesn't seem to be that many around for sale. That, in turn, presents problems with being able to try them out. Also, as I'm just a home strummer / hobbyist, I prefer to buy pre-owned so that my finances don't take a massive hit (otherwise a divorce really would!) and, like many on this forum, I sometimes buy something, find that I'm not bonding with it and then sell it on and (hopefully) regain most of my outlay.

Finally, I'm glad to hear that you found 'the one' for you. Fingers crossed, mine won't be too far away and thanks again for your advice.
    I have a Dave King 000 Katrina ,( natural , not sunburst )  lovely guitar , but I'm a bass player and my Six string needs are met by my Stephen Eden flamenco guitar 
    Hi @martin8708 ,

I'm interested. Please feel free to PM me some further details and photos. Cheers.
  • Hi Rebar , I have pm 'd you with my email address , I have some photos now on file I can send to your email address.
    Thanks , Martin