the best guitarist ever....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
according tae Pat Metheny......don't know about that but he is a bit good,yeah?

Crazy Tal Farlow type HUGE hands and stretches and piano voicings to boot

Doesn't make enough faces for my liking

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10689
    Yeah love him :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Beside the chops there is SOOOOOOO much musical stuff happenin' in that clip.......melody ascending and descending at the same time....wild intervals.....dissonance.....i could go on.....

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22769
    Yeah, but what's he like playing Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl on a cold wet weekday evening at the Dog & Duck in Stoke, eh...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Strange phrasing, doesn't feel musical nor swings like Django or Julian Lage. Pass for me, Holdworths is still top of my pile for jazzy technical stuff.
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah, but what's he like playing Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl on a cold wet weekday evening at the Dog & Duck in Stoke, eh...?

That's actually quite accurate......an American friend of mine saw him last week in NYC with 65 in the audience
    tae be or not tae be
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    edited October 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    That venue is beginning to get famous in these parts!

Watching the vid I'm reminded of the age old quote "you can play 3 chords to a thousand people, or a 1000 chords to 3 people"?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    That's amazing, proper jazz orchestration but for solo guitar.

He probably gets more use out of his little finger in that one video than I have done in my entire playing career.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22769
    Joking apart, I love to watch someone playing, live, in that style.  And I would love to be able to play like that, although I have neither the talent nor the work ethic.  But it's not something I would want to listen to on a record.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Brilliant, thanks for sharing
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That lick at 2:50 with the contrary movement spins me out. Not heard anything like that before
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Thanks for posting !  off to check more out , remarkable facility arranging execution just wow ..... !
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    He has amazing hands, and his technique is brilliant, but I was pretty bored after about 40 seconds. Best guitarist ever - no, but then you are never going to win with an inflammatory statement like that. 

It's incredibly good though, I take nothing away from that. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    Good, but not the best ever.

Julian Bream is the best ever, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I should come straight here.......what PM actually said was......."i think he may be the best guitarist i have heard in my life...."
    tae be or not tae be
  • Philly_Q said:
    Joking apart, I love to watch someone playing, live, in that style.  And I would love to be able to play like that, although I have neither the talent nor the work ethic.  But it's not something I would want to listen to on a record.
    That’s really well put , I agree 
  • I think van halen from the early club days and Aerosmith would get more girls asses swingin on the dance floor 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    ICBM said:
    Good, but not the best ever.

Julian Bream is the best ever, I think.
    he bought a house down here a few years ago and played in pound stock village hall  twas superb, i saw Martin Simpson just before that and not sure there is anything between them tbh
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    CaseOfAce said:
    Philly_Q said:
    That venue is beginning to get famous in these parts!

Watching the vid I'm reminded of the age old quote "you can play 3 chords to a thousand people, or a 1000 chords to 3 people"?
    Ah yes, but the three people a) get their money's worth and b) go home with less chance of catching Covid. 

I think this guy is fabulous. Really great stuff. I do love that Joe Pass style 'fancy chords and filigree fills' style. 

I am now going to listen to 'Virtuoso'. 

By the way, Django Reinhardt is the best guitarist ever. Endlessly inventive. Crazy chops. Established the guitar as a solo instrument. Overcame disability.
  • Would also suggest Joe Pass for those who might have liked the first video and not be familiar already:

https://youtu.be/p_kUJa1PueM

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Joe Pass was sooooooooo good that readers of Guitarist magazine voted him Jazz Guitarist Of The Year two years after his death.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom