Cover Challenge 16 "C"

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited November 2021
    Habanero said:

Thanks so much for that! One initial question though - are the doubled guitar tracks the same thing panned apart, or would you also use different 'takes' generally?

I played the guitar parts twice, then panned them. I don't always double tracks but it seemed to work for this track.

For a doubling type effect (which has a certain kind of sound) I sometimes I use Microshift (Soundtoys) or Schwa CMX (Stillwell Audio). Another trick (which I haven't used recently) is to use one take, duplicate it, then slightly time offset the two tracks with respect to each other.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252

I played the guitar parts twice, then panned them. I don't always double tracks but it seemed to work for this track.

For a doubling type effect (which has a certain kind of sound) I sometimes I use Microshift (Soundtoys) or Schwa CMX (Stillwell Audio). Another trick (which I haven't used recently) is to use one take, duplicate it, then slightly time offset the two tracks with respect to each other.

Thanks again. Your last trick sounds similar to what I've read was used on the early Van Halen albums where it's Ed in one ear and a big room reverb in the other.

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited November 2021
    As an exercise I've just tried to replicate the backing of "Cardiff" by Stone Sour, so there's no vocals or melody.

@poopot, is it OK to just upload that, to maybe get some feedback or abuse? I don't expect any votes anyway.

You nailed that - in fact I would say your backing is an improvement over the original. I can tell you put a lot of work into it. Nice drum sound as well....I own a bunch of EZXs but i'm tempted to upgrade. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I didn’t think I was going to get this done this month … other band duties (and some paid work) has taken so much spare time … but … I have.

it might not be there by Friday though, would anyone mind granting me a one day extension if I can’t get it ready for Friday night? Promise it’ll only be one day max.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Bezzer said:
    I didn’t think I was going to get this done this month … other band duties (and some paid work) has taken so much spare time … but … I have.

it might not be there by Friday though, would anyone mind granting me a one day extension if I can’t get it ready for Friday night? Promise it’ll only be one day max.
    I don’t have a problem with that…
  • Being the top bloke that he is, @poopot offered to do vocals for the 'Cardiff' backing track I submitted previously. 

Same day delivery service as well. After sending him some stems, his vocal tracks came back within a few hours, together with some helpful advice on the mix.
    5 star plus service: Totally impressed and very grateful :)

My original backing track, for Cardiff by Stone Sour, has now been replaced with a remixed version with @poopot's vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challeng-16-c?si=97c4a65099134aa1af674f9529b0dbc2

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Nice one! Last time I looked half the top 40 singles had a 'featuring'. =)
    Being the over confident twat that he is, @poopot offered to do vocals for the 'Cardiff' backing track I submitted previously. 

Fixed that for you :)

I'll be honest, I was alway going to butcher comfy numb for this one... so i didn't really listen to @bezzer 's track...

Until in the car the other day that is...
    Started singing along and I sounded amazing...
    how hard could it be to sing that?

How very wrong i was... Singing is hard (don't tell @IMC1980 I said that)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @poopot ... well, no one (except you) has heard me butcher this yet ...ha ha.

Will have a listen to the mash up with @stratman3142 tonight!

OK, I'm messing with 100ths of a dB now so I'm going to call it done!  Sent!  That is, for me, cutting it preeeeeettty fine.  I hope it's not utter shite :)

@stratman3142 and @poopot ... nice team up fellas.  This is, as I have also discovered, a hell of a track to try and sing so that sir was a fine, fine attack!
  • i'll have one in soon 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    chaps, I ain't going to get this done by end of today, no chance, sorry!
    Snap said:
    How long do you need?
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited November 2021
    Submitted in the nick of time. I ought to stop leaving these till the last minute. 
    edited November 2021
    Entry closed… will upload @Springywheel before I start the voting thread…
    poopot said:
    Snap said:
    How long do you need?
    Sorry, the storm took out all power to the house til yesterday, internet gone til this morning.
    Any plans I had to complete this over the weekend were jiggered, funnily enough.
    Shame, cos I have an interesting take on it. Will probs finish it and post up the link, sooner rather than later.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021
    Well, I thought I might as well put my incomplete version in here so at least you can hear where I was going with it. Unmixed, only part done, and only has a part vocal as a test. Shame I couldn't get it done, but hey...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Man! Wow! I mean yeah, it’s a real shame you didn’t get to finish as that sounds epic even in its raw state.
    Like that a lot!