Guitar Pro inputting music

kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 181
I spend a lot of time putting guitar parts into guitar pro, which means I have to work out the rhythmical notation. And whilst this is a very musical thing to do and i'm getting better at it all the time, it can take ages if the piece is rhythmically complex.
Is there no way I can play my guitar, get the signal converted into something guitar pro can recognise digitally and then produce the score for me, like you could with a keyboard? That would be truly wonderful! Thanks
Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You'd need something like a roland Midi interfacehttps://www.roland.com/uk/products/gk-3/
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 181
    You'd need something like a roland Midi interfacehttps://www.roland.com/uk/products/gk-3/
    OK cheers will look into it.

mrkb said:
    Thanks will check it out!
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    Got hold of someone who knows a lot about Guitar Pro and it can't do that apparently. But you maybe able to record it into Sibelius via a midi controller and then export that to Guitar Pro via a MusicXML file. Any thoughts?

• A sledgehammer method would be to record the audio and then get Melodyne to convert it to midi.

It's not a competition.
    A sledgehammer method would be to record the audio and then get Melodyne to convert it to midi.

Interesting, Don't know Melodyne but sounds like it might work. Will have a look at that. Might be a sledgehammer to start with but could save time in the long run. Thanks
  • kelpbeds said:
    A sledgehammer method would be to record the audio and then get Melodyne to convert it to midi.

Interesting, Don't know Melodyne but sounds like it might work. Will have a look at that. Might be a sledgehammer to start with but could save time in the long run. Thanks
    Perhaps a bit pricey if you only need it for your specific reason.
    It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2021
    I just did an experiment using Melodyne 5 Editor within Reaper.

The Melodic pitch detection algorithm within Melodyne seemed to work best for a guitar on its own.

I played the guitar to a click in Reaper, but had Melodyne just working on the guitar track, prior to any processing. Melodyne has to be the first Fx on a track for ARA to work.

Melodyne picked up the tempo OK and corectly identified I was playing minor blues stuff in A.

I exported it to a midi file from Melodyne. But when I imported the file into Guitar Pro 7 it make a complete hash of the rhythmic timing.

It worked much better when I imported it into Musescore 3 first. But I still had to do quite a bit of editing, of the key signature, clefs and had to convert the time signature from 3/4/ to 4/4.

Then I exported it from Musescore 3 in XML format and imported that into Guitar Pro. Quite a bit of hassle but it sort of worked.

Correction: mxl format not xml
    It's not a competition.
  • kelpbeds said:

Perhaps a bit pricey if you only need it for your specific reason.
    Not too pricey if it came with Studio One (I think you use that DAW @stratman3142 ?).
  • Here's an approach which I've never tried ;)

Tap in a monotone part (e.g. use a hi-hat) just to capture the rhythmic info...then export it as M1D1.
    You could get some 'interesting' results if you're not perfect though.

Someone have a go at this and report back!
  • ...Not too pricey if it came with Studio One (I think you use that DAW @stratman3142 ?).

No, I've always used Reaper. I got Melodyne when I fancied having a go at some vocals and knew I'd need as much help as possible. But even Melodyne can't help me :( However, Melodyne has been very useful for other things.

It's not a competition.
  • ...Not too pricey if it came with Studio One (I think you use that DAW @stratman3142 ?).

No, I've always used Reaper. I got Melodyne when I fancied having a go at some vocals and knew I'd need as much help as possible. But even Melodyne can't help me :( However, Melodyne has been very useful for other things.

I'd be in the same boat: you can fix pitch to some degree but imparting character is a whole 'nother thing ;)

(Melodyne came in the box with Studio One Professional)
    I just did an experiment using Melodyne 5 Editor within Reaper.

The Melodic pitch detection algorithm within Melodyne seemed to work best for a guitar on its own.

I played the guitar to a click in Reaper, but had Melodyne just working on the guitar track, prior to any processing. Melodyne has to be the first Fx on a track for ARA to work.

Melodyne picked up the tempo OK and corectly identified I was playing minor blues stuff in A.

I exported it to a midi file from Melodyne. But when I imported the file into Guitar Pro 7 it make a complete hash of the rhythmic timing.

It worked much better when I imported it into Musescore 3 first. But I still had to do quite a bit of editing, of the key signature, clefs and had to convert the time signature from 3/4/ to 4/4.

Then I exported it from Musescore 3 in XML format and imported that into Guitar Pro. Quite a bit of hassle but it sort of worked.
    Wow that sounds quite a process! Maybe it's best just to get on with it in the normal way! Perhaps it's something they will incorporate into future versions of Guitar Pro maybe? Good effort though!

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2021
    I tried it with something quite complicated. What I did learn is that (for my test) Musescore, which is free, seems better at interpreting the timings of the generated midi file than Guitar Pro.

Once things are in Musescore it's quick and simple to export it as an Xml then import that file into Guitar Pro.

Correction sorry the file extension is mxl not xml

It's not a competition.
    I tried it with something quite complicated. What I did learn is that (for my test) Musescore, which is free, seems better at interpreting the timings of the generated midi file than Guitar Pro.

Once things are in Musescore it's quick and simple to export it as an Xml then import that file into Guitar Pro.

Correction sorry the file extension is mxl not xml

Ok thanks I'll have a play!
    Found a guy on youtube who has tried to do this. Apparently he reckons it's pretty much impossible. A large reason is latency. He got it to work but said when he imported everything to Guitar Pro the little delays meant he has tons of grace notes and correcting all that was slower than inputting it in manually. Oh well! Perhaps it's something that will come down the line. Thanks for the input chaps.
  • kelpbeds said:
    Found a guy on youtube who has tried to do this. Apparently he reckons it's pretty much impossible. A large reason is latency. He got it to work but said when he imported everything to Guitar Pro the little delays meant he has tons of grace notes and correcting all that was slower than inputting it in manually. Oh well! Perhaps it's something that will come down the line. Thanks for the input chaps.
    You could try it after some quantising...but even that can be tricky.

Ultimate solution: just get better at it (and don't transcribe any blues solos) ;)
    kelpbeds said:
    You could try it after some quantising...but even that can be tricky.

Ultimate solution: just get better at it (and don't transcribe any blues solos) ;)
    Yeah you've hit the nail on the head, I'm a Blues player and all those nuances and timing subtleties are a nightmare! Thanks!
  • Do you have an audio clip?

I'll see what happens when I try Melodyne (audio import>time quantize> midi export)> Musescore (midi import >export mxl) > Guitar Pro (mxl import).

It's not a competition.
    To be honest no, I kind of gave up after a while. I think like Digital Kettle said, I just need to work at inputting rhythms better. Just annoying i'm into Blues as it's all over the place!