Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SQUID

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    With any foreign language film, subtitles all day long for me. 
    Can I ask why?

My perspective is that most of the world watch English films with dubbed audio, it's quite normal and a lot of expertise has been developed

What do you think is better about subtitles? It's always been a mystery to me why some people prefer them
    for me it creates a total disconnect from the story.  I get distracted by the mouths not matching the words. It's the same if the audio is lagging a bit on something, it becomes unwatchable for me.    I also prefer to hear the actual characters voice.

I know some find subtitles just as distracting,  but I don't even notice I am reading them now.  I even have subtitles on for normal stuff as it means i can focus when there are other distractions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    With any foreign language film, subtitles all day long for me. 
    Can I ask why?

My perspective is that most of the world watch English films with dubbed audio, it's quite normal and a lot of expertise has been developed

What do you think is better about subtitles? It's always been a mystery to me why some people prefer them
    I feel the same. Dubbed audio distracts me for the first 15 to 20 minutes. Then my brain seems to get used to it and ignores the disconnect between sound and mouth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I loved it and thought it had a good ending - better than most of these type of series. I'd fully expect the character to have changed give what they'd been through.  Suspected the twist, but still thought it was well done. 

Subtitles for me too - couldn't stand dubbing (it would remind me of The Flashing Blade - one for the kids there!) and I've watched lots of foreign movies / TV over the years, so well used to subtitles now. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Just finished it. Hmmm... initially promising and unpredictable, and I was hoping it would stay that way. But then the writers decided to create an ensemble cast and that made things a bit too obvious. Spotted the 'twist' when old bloke kept saying "we did x/y when we were kids".

Not sure about the ending. It did feel as if Netflix wants to keep its options open instead of committing to a proper story arc.
  • On the subject of dubbing, I'm watching Alice in borderland right now and the subtitles and dubbing track sometimes have totally different meanings.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Just finished it this evening. Quite enjoyed it for the most part, but didn't really like the ending. We watched it with the English dubbing because my wife likes to crochet while she watches TV so she mostly just listens... I *hated* the dubbing, it made the whole thing feel like an episode of Bad Lip Reading because the voice actors were so atrocious. I'm going to watch one episode in Korean, just so I can hear their real voices... don't think I'm that bothered about another season though tbh.

Just going to pop this bit into spoilers:

I didn't see the twist coming with the old man (my wife did though), but I knew the policeman's brother was going to be the front man.

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Just finished it this evening. Quite enjoyed it for the most part, but didn't really like the ending. We watched it with the English dubbing because my wife likes to crochet while she watches TV so she mostly just listens... I *hated* the dubbing, it made the whole thing feel like an episode of Bad Lip Reading because the voice actors were so atrocious. I'm going to watch one episode in Korean, just so I can hear their real voices... don't think I'm that bothered about another season though tbh.

Just going to pop this bit into spoilers:

I enjoyed it, but the dubbing did get annoying. 

I finished it Friday, then started watching it again last night with Korean language/English subtitles. It’s so much better already. Definitely makes more sense. 

I wish I could speak the language to enjoy it properly. I’ve heard Korean all day every day for the last 20 years at work. I recognise all the words but just have no idea what they mean, other than the basics.  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11623
    We've watched the first 5 episodes.  Dubbed but with the subtitles on.  What's spoken and what's written are very often entirely different.  Thoroughly enjoying it however.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • With any foreign language film, subtitles all day long for me. 
    Can I ask why?

Personally I feel subtitling lets viewers hear the way people communicate and hear the authentic voices. i also think that Subtitles are way more efficient and helpful and add more to the experience than dodgy dubbing does.
    I suppose some folk prefer dubbing so they are free to do other things while just listening to the movie, but does that not mean one isn't paying proper attention to begin with ?
    Each to their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    I really enjoyed it. My wife guessed the ending while we were still watching the first episode though.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I'm watching Alice in Borderland now.  Similar idea of a group of unfortunates playing a series of deadly games, but the details are quite different.  I'm finding it slightly annoying, there's a lot of whining and crying...
  • Philly_Q said:
    I'm watching Alice in Borderland now.  Similar idea of a group of unfortunates playing a series of deadly games, but the details are quite different.  I'm finding it slightly annoying, there's a lot of whining and crying...
    I think I preferred it tbh. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Wife's just said to me there's not really much violence in it is there, as she's recommended it to her friend who doesn't like violence...
    Errrm no, other than every episode being absolutely full of it?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    I think that Asian movies are still using the same voice over actors from old 70s Kung Fu movies, lots of stilted huh and hey as in "Hahaha. whats that. Huh. You want to test my Kung-Fu heh? BASTARD!!!"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4913
  • Nitefly said:
    Little jimmy! Have you enlisted your sister in a death game again? What have you been told about that!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Nitefly said:
    Children were playing the children's games that the show is based on? What?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11623
    Watched the final episode yesterday evening.  As others have said, extremely disappointing given the watchability of the rest of the show.  Fairly predictable and just... meh.  Preceding episodes would get a solid 7/10.  Final episode gets a regrettable 3/10.