Purple Rain

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    It's not one of my favourite Prince cuts by a very long way, but I still have the original 12" single stowed away somewhere and he looks as cool as feck on the cover.  And was generally a pretty cool dude, full stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000 said:
    We all like different things. I can’t stand John Lennon’s Imagine but enough people think it’s a classic so I guess I’m in a minority on that one.
    You really arent. Junk with lyrics that read like a 9 year olds poetry competition winner/Chris Martin.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    We all like different things. I can’t stand John Lennon’s Imagine but enough people think it’s a classic so I guess I’m in a minority on that one.
    Yes thank you its fucking dreadful.
    I’m not keen on it but I like lots of stuff that other people aren’t keen on so whatever. But part of the problem, I think, with Imagine and to some extent the same with Purple Rain is that it is so often lauded as a classic that the reality can only be disappointing. They become songs that are name checked by people who just don’t know very much music as if ten million other songs didn’t exist. 

I did wonder if Imagine came up much on Desert Island Discs but couldn’t find anything to support that. The most popular non classical choices being Wonderful World, Je Ne Regrette Rien, Fly me to the Moon and Bring Me Sunshine. However, the most popular non classical artists are The Beatles. If you only knew music through seventy years of the show you might accept that the Fab Four had joined the classical canon. 

Anyway, Aynsley always does a nice Purple Rain if you prefer it more laid back.

https://youtu.be/usmKAti_Xws
    That sounds fine until the singing starts...
    What a great voice Prince had!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    DefaultM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Yes thank you its fucking dreadful.
    I’m not keen on it but I like lots of stuff that other people aren’t keen on so whatever. But part of the problem, I think, with Imagine and to some extent the same with Purple Rain is that it is so often lauded as a classic that the reality can only be disappointing. They become songs that are name checked by people who just don’t know very much music as if ten million other songs didn’t exist. 

I did wonder if Imagine came up much on Desert Island Discs but couldn’t find anything to support that. The most popular non classical choices being Wonderful World, Je Ne Regrette Rien, Fly me to the Moon and Bring Me Sunshine. However, the most popular non classical artists are The Beatles. If you only knew music through seventy years of the show you might accept that the Fab Four had joined the classical canon. 

Anyway, Aynsley always does a nice Purple Rain if you prefer it more laid back.

https://youtu.be/usmKAti_Xws
    That sounds fine until the singing starts...
    What a great voice Prince had!
    I nearly said the same when I posted it. Nothing wrong with Mr Lister's voice but the comparison does help you realise how good Prince was. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I never got to see him in his prime (I wasn’t even born for most of it!), but I did go to one of his 21 Nights residence at the O2. It was jaw-dropping on every level. If his prime was even better then I envy those of you who got to experience it. He was a phenomenal performer and songwriter, and had a helluva band and touring ensemble to boot.
  • This is funny, why? - Because most people who adore Prince, or even own the Purple Rain album would probably agree with you. Yea, Purple Rain, the song, kinda' sucks...

Which is why everyone I know skips directly to any of the other 8 tracks on the album. A phenomenal album by the way. Second only to his debut.

Its funny because, while so many agree its one of Prince's most, let's say 'un-phenomenal' tracks, whether by outwardly saying so, or whether by the afore-mentioned skipping of the track when it pops up in Prince playlists - because, I think, its just not reflective of who Prince was, but rather the sad chapter of one Prince story. And yet, its the one track you pull up to listen to and lay aim with...

Its like saying that Extreme sucks, all because you watched the video for More Than Words. Well yeah, More Than Words does suck. And who doesn't skip it. Much less want to start a thread and dissect it. Or worse, think it reflective of what someone like Nuno Bettencourt was both capable of and accomplished.  

I did get to see Prince live once. And he tore that guitar up in a way that I did not know he could until that moment. And then he jumped on the keys, And then he jumped on the drums for a while. I wouldn't have challenged him to duel for the fate of my soul. A humbling experience. And after the show, where the snake ended at the mixing console pit, lo and behold - two of the Quiet Riot guys just hanging at the Prince gig...

I remember telling them that Quiet Riot was my favorite band. It never was.