Rockerverb MKIII users - tell me what you like about them..

Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
I’m looking at Rockerverb MKIII 50 watt head as a do-it-all rock amp. Looking for that big thump and reasonable headroom that a bigger EL34 amp can provide. Gain up to 90s levels rather than modern rock and a clean tone with reverb that’s not too sterile or stiff feeling.

In an idea world I’d have a CS50 but they’re too expensive and I’d really like a second channel, though I can get by with volume knob cleanup if I have to.

I’d be using an H&K CC212 cab with - probably - creambacks in it, though I might throw in the Fane A60s I have too.

Any feedback from Rockerverb owners welcome…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    I have one. It was always my dream amp from seeing so many bands I like play one. Got it the first day it came out a few years ago and use it with a 2x12 open back. I’ve tried a few speakers with it but every time I go back to the V30s it’s just right. 

Lately I’ve been thinking of selling it. I picked up a Morgan AC20 on here and ever since then I’ve found the clean channel on the RV to be dull as dishwater. 

I had also fallen down the rabbit hole of buying too many pedals and was only using the clean channel of the RV with pedals. I think it takes Fuzz well but I know others don’t like pedals with it. 

Anyway I think I was missing the point using it as a pedal platform. I’m now using the gain channel mainly and have started to use the onboard reverb and this is what it’s all about. I think the EQ is really good and allows you to dial in a lot of different gain sounds. 

I can use the Morgan for great cleans and use pedals for dirt. The RV I’m just purely using as a simple rig on the gain channel and I’m having a great time using the volume on my junior to go from heavy to almost clean. Even the clean channel is growing on me again. 

The best thing about the amp is the in built attenuator or whatever it is. I usually have it at 3 or 4 o’clock and get great sounds at reasonable volumes. 

I think it does it all but does the gain better than the clean. 
  • Interesting feedback, thanks @pedalo ;

I guess there’s a lot to be said for sticking with something until you really figure out how it works for you.

I started down this road after playing a CS50 and being really impressed with it, but also thinking that easy access to a cleaner sound would be good, rather than rolling off volume. That put me onto the Rockerverb and it does
    sound good in reviews…
    Interesting feedback, thanks @pedalo ;

I guess there’s a lot to be said for sticking with something until you really figure out how it works for you.

I started down this road after playing a CS50 and being really impressed with it, but also thinking that easy access to a cleaner sound would be good, rather than rolling off volume. That put me onto the Rockerverb and it does
    sound good in reviews…
    Definitely. I change my mind on things all the time anyway so definitely need time to be sure! 

I really think it has one of the best feature sets of any amp out there. The only thing it is arguably missing is a mid control on the clean channel but it’s not that important. 

One thing I haven’t managed to master is balancing the output levels on both channels for seamless channel switching. 

I’d love to try a CS50!
  • Not many RV users I guess.

@pedalo it seems like a bit of a flaw if the volume between channels is not balanced. I'd want to go from one to the other without massive volume differences.
    Not many RV users I guess.

@pedalo it seems like a bit of a flaw if the volume between channels is not balanced. I'd want to go from one to the other without massive volume differences.
    I think it’s achievable but I just complicate things with pedals!
  • I have the 100-watt. Can't say I've ever noticed the volume between channels to be a problem.

I love it. It's such a unique sounding beast. It doesn't sound like any of my other amps. I almost sold it once, and then very quickly changed my mind one night in the studio when using it, and had to let the buyer down (well.... if giving them a handful of pound notes for the gear I was gonna swap for is a let down!)

The III is much more flexible than the I and II as well. The built in attenuator is just about the best I've used. I love using it to add more punch and sparkle to the clean channel (attenuator up to bring the amp volume down, the crank the clean channel to turn it into a saturated driven channel) and this works for the gain channel too.

Very nice FX loop, built in reverb is decent enough if you just need a bit of moist. I don't use it often though myself - I prefer my pedals.

I use an EQ pedal in the front so don't feel I need another band on the clean really.

I just love it.

Bye!

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    MKIII 50w owner here.

Absolutely love it. I have it so I can use the clean channel with pedals for spanky clean, to fairly saturated. The dirt channel is in your face and super growly. I like the fact it's just 2 channels. Had a JVM410h which sounded great but I just got lost in the number of options. Keeping it simple really does pay off, especially playing live.

I had a Zilla closed back 2x12 made for me with a Celestion Heritage 55Htz in the top and an Alnico Cream in the bottom and it sounds glorious.

Haven't tried the FX loop yet as I don't really like too many cables about the place....have a bad habit of tripping over stuff.

Use the reverb on the clean channel a bit, it's fine but I prefer my EQD Avalanche run overal.

What really makes this amp is the attenuator. I absolutely love it, I can drive the amp hard and knock it down a bit if it's too loud for the room I'm playing in. Get a nicer note bloom for me with using the attenuator over just running at a lower overall volume.

There was one for sale with a cab too for about what I paid for the head so a decent deal https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284489854078?hash=item423ceaac7e:g:LfAAAOSw~pNhaWvG

That is a cracking deal actually imho.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited October 2021
    Good to get some more feedback - thanks all. 

There’s been a few used ones popup but as ever with heavy amps, much of the time they’re collection only from near that there London.

I like the sound of the attenuator and getting the clean channel mildly saturated but does that then mean you’re not able to balance that with the volume of the drive channel? Could you setup the clean channel as a mildly overdriven / cleanable with guitar volume and use the drive channel for a heavier rhythm sound then kick in a boost for leads?

I wonder if I might end up using it as a single channel amp in which case there may be cheaper options…